Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why does T-Mobile disable 3G UMTS Band 8 (900 MHz) on its phones?

Feedback Score

Why does T-Mobile disable 3G UMTS Band 8 (900 MHz) on its phones?

T-Mobile disables 3G UMTS Band 8 (900 MHz) on all its phones (almost without exceptions).

What's the reason for this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    T-Mobile disables 3G UMTS Band 8 (900 MHz) on all its phones (almost without exceptions).

If I'm not mistaken UMTS is just a predecessor for HSPA (+). A phone that has UMTS will still work on a HSPA network.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Helio Touch...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_unmatched View Post
    If I'm not mistaken UMTS is just a predecessor for HSPA (+). A phone that has UMTS will still work on a HSPA network.

It's the same. No 3G (UMTS or HSPA) band 8 on T-Mobile phones.

Feedback Score
    The real answer though is that LTE is the way things are going now. I'm seeing low band LTE floating around now which sings better building penetration.

Not sure is HSPA has been removed anywhere. Naw.... but I don't think they are gonna place much more resources into it either. The ACTUAL 3.5G Technology is on its way out. (So who paid the standards organization to break down and let HSPA/HSDPA be called 4G? I still remember what they said the speeds for 4G would be.)

Feedback Score
    If you brought your own phone and it has UMTS. It would work in areas... Warning though your phone needs to support the bands that Tmobile has like UMTS Band 2

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

T-Mobile is shutting down all UMTS 3G spectrum... Also, T-Mobile doesn't use Band 8 so it is a waste of battery to have it active.

Time to Upgrade Your Phone - T-Mobile Replacing 1900 Mhz 3G With LTE in 31 Markets June 2017

"Two years ago T-Mobile shut down UMTS on the 1700 Mhz band in 23 Markets. Now T-mobile is replacing 1900 Mhz UMTS with LTE in 31 markets, including some big ones like New York City. Here are the affected markets and when 1900 Mhz UMTS was or will be replaced with 1900 Mhz LTE:"

Feedback Score
    Well the answer Tmo gives is they are refarming. So if that is the case. If your phone worked before and not now then whenever they 'Upgraded' towers in your area they moved UMTS to another band to free up that band you were using for LTE.

I have been seeing phones in my area get only Edge. The unlocked phone market is changing. There are MVNOs though where the phones will work just fine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    T-Mobile is shutting down all UMTS 3G spectrum...

Time to Upgrade Your Phone - T-Mobile Replacing 1900 Mhz 3G With LTE in 31 Markets June 2017

"Two years ago T-Mobile shut down UMTS on the 1700 Mhz band in 23 Markets. Now T-mobile is replacing 1900 Mhz UMTS with LTE in 31 markets, including some big ones like New York City. Here are the affected markets and when 1900 Mhz UMTS was or will be replaced with 1900 Mhz LTE:"
    This article is referring to high freq band 1900. Makes complete sense not to keep it for 3G. Better off to have low freq bands anyways.

Feedback Score

Why do you think it's disabled? Perhaps the phone isn't made with it because 900 is not used in North America.

As an example, here's the specs from an inexpensive phone from T-Mobile's website:

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone/lg-stylo-3-plus

It shows:

UMTS: Band I (2100), Band II (1900), Band IV (1700/2100), Band V (850)

Three of the bands are used in the United States. 2100 is only used outside of North America. However, because it shares some frequencies with band IV, most of the times it's left in there.

If you need a phone for travel though, it's best to select an unlocked version with bands for where you will be or get a phone with near-universal coverage such as the iPhone.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja_unmatched View Post
    This article is referring to high freq band 1900. Makes complete sense not to keep it for 3G. Better off to have low freq bands anyways.

T-Mobile doesn't use Band 8 and 3G is toast on T-Mobile. Even GSM 2G will go away by EOY 2019 on T-Mobile and the only reason 2G is still here is that it fits inside the guardband.

Feedback Score
    This is true.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score

The only reason I can think of is that the manufacturer would charge T-Mobile 50˘ per phone to activate it and T-Mobile wants to keep that 50˘.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile is shutting down all UMTS 3G spectrum... Also, T-Mobile doesn't use Band 8 so it is a waste of battery to have it active.
    3G Band 8 used in Europe, so roaming capabilities of T-Mobile phones are limited because LTE Roaming with VoLTE support is still not widely used. Probably, it is not critical issue (main 3G band is band 1 2100 MHz), but it is bad thing.

Also, existence of additional band does not affect battery significantly, especially, if band not used at all in US.
    Last edited by RFK; 03-06-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Feedback Score
    T-Mobile doesn't use Band 8 and 3G is toast on T-Mobile. Even GSM 2G will go away by EOY 2019 on T-Mobile and the only reason 2G is still here is that it fits inside the guardband.
    T-Mobile did not declare elimination of 2G . T-Mobile told 2 years ago that 2G will be supported at least until the end of 2019. We can assume (considering Verizon and AT&T statements in the past) that 2G elimination warning will be given at least 2 years in advance. So far, no such statement was issued by T-Mobile.

T-Mobile 3G indeed is going to be eliminated, but 3G Band 8 is used for roaming outside US and LTE roaming with VoLTE support is still rare.

Device(s)
    AT&T S8+
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Not even AT&T has 3G band 8 enabled in their phones.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast