Thread: Set up old Samsung Galaxy S on WiFi

Feedback Score

Set up old Samsung Galaxy S on WiFi

How to set up old Samsung Galaxy S or Fascinate browser to make calls and text messages using Wifi. I have no carrier and can get on internet easily with installed browser. I have tried WhatsApp which could not send messages. Nor could I receive messages.

My WiFi works great with my computer. My ISP is AT&T Uverse.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Toots22 View Post
    How to set up old Samsung Galaxy S or Fascinate browser to make calls and text messages using Wifi. I have no carrier and can get on internet easily with installed browser. I have tried WhatsApp which could not send messages. Nor could I receive messages.

My WiFi works great with my computer. My ISP is AT&T Uverse.
    The performance and Android version of a phone that old may limit what will work.

You could try and see if Hangouts Dialer will install. If it will install you will need to get a Google Voice number to work with it.

Another to try is Textfree/Pinger. You have to pay or earn minutes. Texts are free. You earn minutes by watching ads - generally 2 minutes per 10-30 second video.

Maybe someone else can remember something that was used on Android that old that is still around.

Good luck

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    WhatsApp will not work since you need to verify your phone number. Without even a basic phone service with SMS it's not possible.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition

Feedback Score

Samsung on WiFi

Quote Originally Posted by TadMorose View Post
    WhatsApp will not work since you need to verify your phone number. Without even a basic phone service with SMS it's not possible.
    I replied to WhatsApp with my home phone number and it called me. I replied to their message but still could not make calls/messages.

I have also tried to get a phone number from Google Voice but it lets me select a number and it never gets into my cell phone.

In fact since I have been trying to make this work, the only message that has gotten into my phone was an emergency weather warning. Don't know where it came from.

It seems to me the only way to get a phone number into a cell phone is to join a carrier. This seems strange since research shows you can use your phone without a carrier jut using WiFi.

Feedback Score
    I replied to WhatsApp with my home phone number and it called me. I replied to their message but still could not make calls/messages.

I have also tried to get a phone number from Google Voice but it lets me select a number and it never gets into my cell phone.
    Did you use your home phone number to receive the GV validation code? That should work.

In fact since I have been trying to make this work, the only message that has gotten into my phone was an emergency weather warning. Don't know where it came from.
    You are not getting messages into your phone because it does not have a phone number yet. The alerts come from the alert system and do not require an activated phone. 911 will work too without activation on a carrier.

It seems to me the only way to get a phone number into a cell phone is to join a carrier. This seems strange since research shows you can use your phone without a carrier jut using WiFi.
    You can use a phone with just Wifi, but only for things that work over Wifi (and 911 and alerts). Did you try Textfree yet?

Feedback Score
    Yes I replied to WhatsApp with my home phone but WhatsApp would not work.

Did not try Textfree yet.

What would happen if I joined a Carrier and got a phone number installed,would the same phone number work on WiFi after leaving the Carrier?

Feedback Score
    Yes I replied to WhatsApp with my home phone but WhatsApp would not work.
    Were you able to get a Google Voice number using your home number for the verification? Getting a GV number does not put it on the phone. The Hangouts app does that. Unknown if Hangouts will install on Android 2.

What would happen if I joined a Carrier and got a phone number installed,would the same phone number work on WiFi after leaving the Carrier?
    No. If you terminate service you lose the number unless it is ported to another service first. You can port a number to GV. IIRC, it costs $20.

What you are looking for is a Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) service and app that will install on Android 2. The VOIP service will give you a number and the app will put it on the phone.

Feedback Score
    I tried and tried to get Talkfree registered and it would not work, Finally uninstalled and re-iinstalled, still would not register. So today I uninstalled it again.

Finally faced fact that nothing will enable me to use wifi for anything but surfing with my phone.

Thanks all for the help.

Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    I use an old Verizon Galaxy S at the gym, strictly to play Pandora over WiFi. That's about all it's good for LOL. But it saves my regular phone's battery, and it's nice and small.

Feedback Score
    Thanks

Toots22

Feedback Score
    I think android 3 is the first android I ever used so if you have android version 2, I am not sure what will run but you might try to update to the newest browser you can get on your phone.

You can also try the firefox browser. Likely you can't update to the newest version but you can download an old version that might work on your version of android.

Then try logging into your Google account from the browser and request the desktop version of the website. Sometimes you need to change the user agent of the browser.

I don't know if it will work but from the Windows desktop browser you can place Google voice calls. They have a dialer that you can access from the browser to place calls.

If you don't mind spending a little money you might consider a new or used phone. I got my current phone black Friday for $20 new but you can often find phones new for $40. One place to check is the boost mobile website.