Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: question on the transfer boogie

Feedback Score

question on the transfer boogie

i was down to the last days on my Tracfone service (BYOP) so I decided to buy a cheap LG Rebel off eBay that included 1200/1200/1200 plus 365 days. i'd read that people were activating the phones, then transferring back to their BYOP phones and getting the minutes/days added. there was talk of the transfer not working smoothly all the time so I was a little hesitant, but ordered anyway.

right after ordering, come to find out that what i really only wanted (the 365 days) could be had on the TF website by adding $5 worth of texts to your cart, then adding the option to add a year for $49 (you can remove the texts in the cart and just purchase service days). i go back to cancel the phone order knowing in the two minutes from ordering it and finding out i didn't have to, that it'd have magically 'shipped'. i was right, now i have an extra phone that i'm not sure i want to mess with or return and take the hit on shipping.

does anyone know EXACTLY how to go about doing this transfer boogie woogie? i've got a bunch of minutes on my BYOP account that i don't want to lose. also, what happens to my phone number? does it go to the new phone then back to my original phone eventually?

thanks for the help!

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofbuster View Post
    does anyone know EXACTLY how to go about doing this transfer boogie woogie? i've got a bunch of minutes on my BYOP account that i don't want to lose. also, what happens to my phone number? does it go to the new phone then back to my original phone eventually?
    You activate the Rebel WITH THE OPTION TO TRANSFER from your current BYOP. Everything on your BYOP (phone number, units, days) will be transferred to the Rebel, then the bundled 1-year and 1200/1200/1200 get added to the existing days/units. Afterward, you can transfer everything back to your BYOP.

Use Chat, ask the rep for your current balance, then ask the rep to do the activation with a transfer. After the rep is done, ask for the new balance and a ticket number. Copy the chat transcript from the chat box then paste/save it in a file on your computer as proof, in case the balance gets lost during the transfer.

Feedback Score
    i was down to the last days on my Tracfone service (BYOP) so I decided to buy a cheap LG Rebel off eBay that included 1200/1200/1200 plus 365 days. i'd read that people were activating the phones, then transferring back to their BYOP phones and getting the minutes/days added.
    Is your BYOP phone on Verizon or AT&T? If AT&T, you will need a new SIM card to transfer back to. If you want TMFL, you can get the SIM kit from the TracFone eBay store. Hard to find otherwise.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TracFone-Br...qLtKhgplUfGOYw

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Is your BYOP phone on Verizon or AT&T? If AT&T, you will need a new SIM card to transfer back to. If you want TMFL, you can get the SIM kit from the TracFone eBay store. Hard to find otherwise.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TracFone-Br...qLtKhgplUfGOYw
    my BYOP is using an ATT nano sim. couldn't i just use that existing SIM just transferring back to it when i'm ready? didn't think smartphones got TMFL either.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    my BYOP is using an ATT nano sim. couldn't i just use that existing SIM just transferring back to it when i'm ready? didn't think smartphones got TMFL either.
    TF lets you reuse a CDMA SIM, but not a GSM SIM. You'll need to get a new one to transfer back. The older smartphones and BYOP SIM Kits have TMFL. The SIM kits sold directly by TF on Ebay linked to above are old stocks and have TMFL.

Feedback Score
    after a sketchy moment when they made me call a phone agent to complete the first transfer, everything went through OK. for some reason, the online chat agent dodged my requests for my minutes summary but the guy on the phone gave it up when everything was complete. took about two hours to complete. thanks for all the help!

Feedback Score
    I think that HoFo and maybe other forums have encouraged the idea of asking for the balance summary. I think the chat agents are fed up with it and ignoring the request. I noticed this disgust. I should think they would accommodate the request, but I guess they aren't allowed to waste time on sidetracks, however necessary.

If Tracfone were more trustworthy, we wouldn't have to doublecheck everything.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    There is no legitimate reason for TF to deny a request to document your current service days and units prior to a transfer.

When you contact chat tell them you want to document/corroborate what you are seeing on your current account because there are many documented cases where these balances have been lost during a transfer.

If they refuse to do this then close the chat give them a negative review and open up the chat and start over with another agent.

I don't know if they have weekend crews, but in my experience I find it best to perform transfers and the like during the week rather than on the weekend, I just have seem to have less resistance to requests during the work week.

I also experience much better support when I choose Technical Support under "How can we help you" rather than any other option.
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks, months now a year+ TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers, especially BYOP.

Feedback Score
    when i wasn't getting the agent to give up the info, i just copied and pasted what the website said and asked him to confirm which he did. the guy over the phone first directed me to the app and website to get the info but eventually spat it out. i had screenshots w/timestamps on everything under my account just in case.

now i'm wondering if i need to remove the sim card from the Rebel before selling it?

Feedback Score
    If the Rebel SIM card is inactive, you should leave it in the phone for the buyer. Just remove the Rebel from your TracFone account before selling it and be sure to factory reset the Rebel before shipping it.

when i wasn't getting the agent to give up the info, i just copied and pasted what the website said and asked him to confirm which he did. the guy over the phone first directed me to the app and website to get the info but eventually spat it out. i had screenshots w/timestamps on everything under my account just in case.

now i'm wondering if i need to remove the sim card from the Rebel before selling it?

Feedback Score
    Your Rebel should not be sold if its SIM card is active.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    In a nut shell:

If you transfer the units back over to another BYOP/TF device then it is best to send the SIM with a CDMA device since it is reusable, with GSM toss it.

If you swap the SIM from a CDMA device rather than transfer back to or to a new BYOP SIM then do not sell the device, when the IMEI is activated it will either wipe out the balance or transfer it to the new owner.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    If the Rebel SIM card is inactive, you should leave it in the phone for the buyer. Just remove the Rebel from your TracFone account before selling it and be sure to factory reset the Rebel before shipping it.
    FYI, the phone number it was activated with will be on that SIM and a factory reset will not remove it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    FYI, the phone number it was activated with will be on that SIM and a factory reset will not remove it.
    .... and as soon as it is activated it is over written. Not sure how many purchase a used TF to harvest numbers, most likely get more info googling the persons name.

Feedback Score
    That's good to know and certainly a factor for the current phone owner to consider in deciding whether to include the SIM.

It would be nice to inform the buyer that they'll have to request a SIM from TracFone in order to activate it if the SIM isn't going to be sent.

Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast