Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T Fiber optic expansion

Feedback Score

AT&T Fiber optic expansion

According to media reports AT&T seems to be committed to increasing fiber optics and will spend more on Capex.

In Queens NYC I saw AT&T road and sidewalk markings for a long time but this year I am seeing more road anf sidewalk markings for AT&T than before and some of them are by where I live now. Our area has multiple providers who use fiber optics in their network. RCN, Verizon, AT&T, Crown Castle, Charter. Not sure if anyone else has lines here.

AT&T 5G Wireless will be at a huge advantage and they are well managed. I wish I saw some AT&T workers doing projects around here and nothing seems to be permitted for yet. Another carrier likely not AT&T is upgrading their wireless equipment in mid March in one section here while another section was upgraded previously which wasn’t AT&T.

AT&T told me April and June when I called in to see when wireless upgrades would occur after initiating contact with executive customer care due to an issue so it looks like 2018 will see more AT&T upgrades.

Has anyone else seen AT&T road/sidewalk markings being added? They are by communication manholes so its definitely mapping out their fiber optics cables. NYC by me is a native AT&T market due to the Teleport Communications aquisition and they have a huge facility that looks like a fortress not that far from me which houses their equipment.

My own building is served by RCN and Charter which got grandfathered in. I use AT&T Wireless instead and it should get much better once the system is upgraded here and 5G services are introduced and perhaps even a direct fiber optics buildout or other last mile methods,
    Last edited by LTENetwork; 03-06-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    According to media reports AT&T seems to be committed to imcreasing fiber optics and will spend more on Capex.

In Queens NYC I saw AT&T road and sidewalk markings for a long time but this year I am seeing more road anf sidewalk markings for AT&T than before and some of them are by where I live now. Our area has multiple providers who use fiber optics in their network. RCN, Verizon, AT&T, Crown Castle, Charter. Not sure if anyone else has lines here.

AT&T 5G Wireless will be at a huge advantage and they are well managed. I wish I saw some AT&T workers doing projects around here and nothing seems to be permitted for yet. Another carrier likely not AT&T is upgrading their wireless equipment in mid March in one section here while another section was upgraded previously which wasn’t AT&T.

AT&T told me April and June when I called in to see when wireless upgrades would occur after initiating contact with executive customer care due to an issue so it looks like 2018 will see more AT&T upgrades.

Has anyone else seen AT&T road/sidewalk markings being added? They are by communication manholes so its definitely mapping out their fiber optics cables. NYC by me is a native AT&T market due to the Teleport Communications aquisition and they have a huge facility that looks like a fortress not that far from me which houses their equipment.

My own building is served by RCN and Charter which got grandfathered in. I use AT&T Wireless instead and it should get much better once the system is upgraded here and 5G services are introduced and perhaps even a direct fiber optics buildout or other last mile methods,
    AT&T Fiber is being expanded in many markets across the country. In my market of Oklahoma City, there is fiber work being done everywhere. It's rare to go to an intersection without seeing some type of new fiber equipment.

I have been seeing this in other markets as well. Here's several I have personally seen:
    - Tulsa, OK
    - Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
    - Kansas City, KS & MO

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    --Bentley

Feedback Score
    New York City was officially announced for Multiple Dwelling units with G Fast or full fiber optics. 5G obviously taps into their fiber optics networks as well as older wireless technologies. AT&T is predominantly enterprise class for fiber optics here as well as to feed its wireless towers.

My area is heavily MDU with commercial buildings as well, some of which may already be on AT&T. I know Crown Castle and RCN also have a lot of buildings online around here as well and my own is served by RCN but delivered via docsis coaxial to apartments.

Charter is grossly overpriced and service is poor. In competition, I don’t see why anyone would use them over superior carriers. They did have the accessibility advantage but other carriers are easy to get access to if you own the building as they have extensive footprints here.

AT&T and Verizon have greatest service qualities here with native infrastructure. T-Mobile wireless does not use their own fiber optics locally.

RCN is smaller fiber footprint but superior service to Charter. AT&T is highly rated along with DirecTV which is moving to online platforms and the fiber additions will help move this along instead of the old method of satellite dish delivery.

Feedback Score
    I think I saw an at&t truck installing one of these boxes on the left in the entrance to my neighborhood... which according to the picture is a "cross connect box" and I have no idea what that is lol.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That looks like a “VRAD” which is used with uverse. It could have other uses but that what it looks like to my untrained eye.
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Qt0 View Post
    I think I saw an at&t truck installing one of these boxes on the left in the entrance to my neighborhood... which according to the picture is a "cross connect box" and I have no idea what that is lol.
    We have a lot of them here in Oklahoma City. I've seen them installed typically near the entrance to a neighborhood. Not sure exactly what it is.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That’s a remote DSLAM also called a “VRAD” for their IPDSL service. Can you get any form of U-VERSE right now? I thought they had moved on to deploying fiber only, but if that’s the box in the picture it’s not for fiber.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LTENetwork View Post
    According to media reports AT&T seems to be committed to increasing fiber optics and will spend more on Capex.

Still waiting for them to complete California if ever.

Is AT&T committed to expanding FTTN/FTTP nationwide?

You say Charter (Spectrum) is overpriced in your market. In my market they are the cheapest in price. What does AT&T charge in your area compared to the competition for fiber?
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone X🅂
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post

You say Charter (Spectrum) is overpriced in your market. In my market they are the cheapest in price. What does AT&T charge in your area compared to the competition for fiber?
    AT&T never said they were going to build FTTN or FTTH nationwide. Secondly, give them some time. AT&T started building their fiber network a few years ago in Austin. Placing fiber in the ground and on power lines takes many permits, and a lot of time.

Sent from my Qualcomm iPhone 7 Plus on Tapatalk

Feedback Score

I don’t know specific prices. Charter is the incumbent who has the most accessibility. However prices went up and they won’t even offer promotional pricing anymore. Also service quality is abysmal due to constant outages. Enterprise services are probably extremely pricey with poor quality as well but they have significant access to everywhere which was built prior to the Charter acquisition here. RCN was an overbuilder who gained marketshare with lower prices.

AT&T fiber is only for enterprise class around me. They plan on building out to MDU in NYC but I don’t know if buildouts have occured anywhere yet or how many they will provide access to or even what prices are.

I use AT&T unlimited data tablet plan for 29.99 a month which is cheaper than all other competitors for unlimited data. If AT&T offers a 5G or fiber unlimited usage plan for a good price I would consider that as an option.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

AT&T has committed to deploy FTTP to 12.5 Million people by EOY 2019, which equates to less than 20% of their wireline footprint.

Chances of getting fiber seem slim for most. They are focusing on areas with above ground utilities as well as new neighborhood.

I pay $60 for 1000/1000 bundling service. Not too bad honestly.

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    AT&T has committed to deploy FTTP to 12.5 Million people by EOY 2019, which equates to less than 20% of their wireline footprint.

Chances of getting fiber seem slim for most. They are focusing on areas with above ground utilities as well as new neighborhood.

I pay $60 for 1000/1000 bundling service. Not too bad honestly.
    Wow that is incredible. Jealous. I subscribe to Frontier FiOS 100/100 for the same price you pay for GB service.

My brother in Irvine, CA. has both AT&T Fiber and Google Fiber to choose from but you have to live on one of the islands they offer it to. I would love it if AT&T offered Fiber in my area but they are not the LEC so I'll probably never see it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CircuitSwitched View Post
    That’s a remote DSLAM also called a “VRAD” for their IPDSL service. Can you get any form of U-VERSE right now? I thought they had moved on to deploying fiber only, but if that’s the box in the picture it’s not for fiber.
    They've sent me fliers for u-verse for years, but every time I checked it said it was not available for my address. However I followed where they they left all their little red flags and the path goes to the new subdivision going up. every couple of blocks they also installed some of these things in people's yards

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    They've sent me fliers for u-verse for years, but every time I checked it said it was not available for my address. However I followed where they they left all their little red flags and the path goes to the new subdivision going up. every couple of blocks they also installed some of these things in people's yards
    That’s a ground vault for AT&T fiber.

Looks like they may have put up a PFP cabinet for FTTP. That makes sense if it’s a new neighborhood because they typically only do fiber for those.

It may only serve that new subdivision unfortunately.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Wow that is incredible. Jealous. I subscribe to Frontier FiOS 100/100 for the same price you pay for GB service.

My brother in Irvine, CA. has both AT&T Fiber and Google Fiber to choose from but you have to live on one of the islands they offer it to. I would love it if AT&T offered Fiber in my area but they are not the LEC so I'll probably never see it.
    Yea I can’t complain too much. If I had Google fiber, then I’d drop AT&T immediately.

They have very poor peering. My connection will frequently buffer on YouTube.

How is the reliability on Frontier?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast