Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Virgin Mobile RIP?

Feedback Score

Virgin Mobile RIP?

I remember when this forum was bustling with activity 6-7 years ago. Today, not a single active thread in a month. Why doesn't Sprint just migrate their remaining customers to Boost and shut VM down? The iPhone-only strategy was a huge flop.

My first Android smartphone was on VM, Samsung Intercept on the $25 300min/2GB unlimited plan. Back when they had a usable 3G network.

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    virgin mobile was great once back in the day when they had the beyond 25 but now they are an joke well sprint is also , boost mobile is the better deal now they should just get rid of vm

Sent from my iPhone 10 using Tapatalk
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by manofstill2012 View Post
    virgin mobile was great once back in the day when they had the beyond 25 but now they are an joke well sprint is also , boost mobile is the better deal now they should just get rid of vm

Sent from my iPhone 10 using Tapatalk
    I disagree. For single phone plan I'm paying $30 for 5 GB data. Can boost beat that?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    TotalWireless has a $35/5GB plan on a network that really works when you need it (Verizon). Plus you can always add 5GB that won't expire for $10.

Feedback Score
    It seems there is less activity on other areas of this forums too but I am not sure. I know there is less activity on the virgin section.

I had the beyond talk plan too but switched to boost to get hotspot. I use hotspot all day long now and could not get by without it now.

The $30 5 GB virgin plan did not have hotspot and it is not offered anymore anyway. At that time boost was offering the $35/30 grow to 5 GB plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ppuser View Post
    I disagree. For single phone plan I'm paying $30 for 5 GB data. Can boost beat that?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Boost offers unlimited music on their $35 3GB plan and taxes/fees included

Other options:
    RedPocket 5GB promo on AT&T for $30.
    H20 Wireless 5GB on AT&T for $31.50
    Tello 4-10GB custom plans under $30 if you don't need unlimited minutes.
    MintSim is $20 for 5GB, $25 for 10GB if you buy 12-months of service.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    It seems there is less activity on other areas of this forums too but I am not sure. I know there is less activity on the virgin section.
    True. Once different forums were overran by T-Mobile trolls and arguments kept breaking out, people started leaving forums because it wasn't about getting info and helping each other out anymore. I stopped going to the Sprint forum here because it was nothing but post bashing Sprint and praising T-Mobile there. That's part of why Fierce Wireless took comments off of their website.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    If Sprint is going to keep Virgin around, I'd rather see Virgin focus on single line users, and possibly be an online service similar to Google Fi. There should be a clear distinction between Boost and Virgin for customers to care about it. I had Virgin years ago and loved it, but now it doesn't suit my needs. Hopefully they will either make Virgin mean something or just drop the name.

Feedback Score
    That would be a good ideal for virgin to be single line vs family plans for boost. The carriers never have good deals for single lines.

However, they went with apple only to make virgin different. Plus they only have one $50 plan. So I think what they were going for is to increase the average amount each user pays; hoping that the iphone people won't mind paying $50 a month since they don't mind paying more for the phone.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    Part of the problem with prepaid is that they have too many plans and the stores won't let you get the cheaper ones most of the time. I've seen owners say that if a person wants a cheaper plan, let them walk out and go somewhere else. Companies really just need one plan with discounts for additional lines if you need them. What I want to know is if 5G really will increase Sprint's network and to what degree. With postpaid prices set to go up, this could be a chance for Virgin to pick up people who want/need Sprint's network but don't want to pay more for it.

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    Virgin Mobile was my first smartphone carrier. I used to frequent this forum years ago both asking and answering questions.

What made me leave them was their price increase from $25 to $35 if you wanted a new smartphone. Also their terrible data speeds. This was before LTE and I was lucky to get 200 kbps on average.

I currently pay $40 a month for unlimited talk, unlimited text, unlimited data with HD video streaming, 10GB of hotspot, and free international roaming. Can't beat that deal anywhere.

If I remember correctly, Sprint purchased the right to use the Virgin name from Richard Branson. I'm not sure if it was meant to be forever or a number of years, but that could explain why they haven't gotten rid of it. Nobody is going to buy Virgin Mobile from Sprint and they spent all this money, so they're aren't just going to shut it down.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    <<Achieved on "America's Most Affordable 4G Network!"

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X, OnePlus 2
    Carrier(s)
    Project Fi
    Feedback Score
    If only more people used the forums for asking and answering questions instead of trolling. smh.

I think the name is for a certain number of years and Brnason has the right to take it back if he wants to, although I doubt he'd stop taking Sprint's money. The Virgin name hasn't meant much in the US in years and won't mean as much unless there is a Virgin media service that they plan to launch. I also can't see anyone wanting to buy the rights to that name for use in the US. I guess they wanted something like what AT&T had with Cricket and GoPhone, but it just didn't pan out.

Feedback Score
    I was on the $25 plan too and they let you keep the price grandfathered when they increased to $35 but they changed the plan from unlimited to 2.5 GB and then locked you into using only the old 3G phones.

I switched to the boost $35/30 3GB plan when virgin went iphone only. Now I am happier because I get hotspot that virgin charged extra for.

Now I think I am locked into my current phone (lg tribute HD) again on boost because the new plan is $35 with no auto pay discount. I pay $30 with auto pay discount now. So if i need a new phone I think I have to pay $35 with no auto pay discount.

Prices for wireless data are always going down and with 5G coming they will go down even more. So I think in the future carriers will all give unlimited data but charge more for different speeds like they do for home wired Internet now.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    I was on the $25 plan too and they let you keep the price grandfathered when they increased to $35 but they changed the plan from unlimited to 2.5 GB and then locked you into using only the old 3G phones.

I switched to the boost $35/30 3GB plan when virgin went iphone only. Now I am happier because I get hotspot that virgin charged extra for.

Now I think I am locked into my current phone (lg tribute HD) again on boost because the new plan is $35 with no auto pay discount. I pay $30 with auto pay discount now. So if i need a new phone I think I have to pay $35 with no auto pay discount.

Prices for wireless data are always going down and with 5G coming they will go down even more. So I think in the future carriers will all give unlimited data but charge more for different speeds like they do for home wired Internet now.

Virgin still supports Android, they just don't advertise or promote it. This past year, I upgraded to a Moto E4. My current plan is $35/5GB. There are some data-free streaming music partners, iHeart Radio is the only one that I use. I should probably switch to T-Mobile's 55+ plan but I'm too lazy and I have other phones and data plans.

**Music partners

•Spotify
    •Pandora
    •iHeart
    •Slacker
    •Napster
    •8 Tracks
    Your, you're, yore; there, their, they're; to, too, two; by, buy; add, ad; for, four, fore.
    a) better to light a candle, or b) curse the darkness?

Device(s)
    iPhone8, Galaxy_S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin_Mobile, Total_Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    I remember when this forum was bustling with activity 6-7 years ago. Today, not a single active thread in a month. Why doesn't Sprint just migrate their remaining customers to Boost and shut VM down? The iPhone-only strategy was a huge flop.

My first Android smartphone was on VM, Samsung Intercept on the $25 300min/2GB unlimited plan. Back when they had a usable 3G network.
    LMAO, as if forum performance equates to Real Life... maybe some are getting their answers elsewhere. You can't go around allowing trolls to over run anything online and expect people to continue to visit the sites, forums, etc. Hopefully, the prepaid section reinvigorates with the upcoming industry changes....

HoFo is still the best place online for wireless info.
    PREPAID means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...

Virgin Mobile: $50 / $10 | Total Wireless: $25

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast