Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Which plan is better?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8
    Feedback Score
    0

    Which plan is better?

    Right now I have this plan. Cost $86.70 per month and is unlimited high speed.

    Minutes=UNLIMITED
    Text=UNLIMITED
    Data=UNLIMITED (High Speed)
    * DVD-quality streaming (up to 480p). In times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic.
    *Mobile Hotspot and Tethering not included.

    They now have a plan for $75 (guessing around $80 after taxes)

    gounlimited
    $75
    for 1 line
    Per month. Plus taxes & fees.
    When you enroll in Auto Pay.

    Plan details

    Unlimited 4G LTE data
    Unlimited Talk & Text
    DVD-quality streaming
    Unlimited Mobile Hotspot (600kbps)
    Verizon Up rewards
    Military discount
    Mexico & Canada included

    I'm not sure which is the better buy. I do stream alot when at the cabin. Thanks for any input.

    My biggest concern is streaming at 600kbps.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,327
    Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK0044 View Post
    Right now I have this plan. Cost $86.70 per month and is unlimited high speed.

    Minutes=UNLIMITED
    Text=UNLIMITED
    Data=UNLIMITED (High Speed)
    * DVD-quality streaming (up to 480p). In times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic.
    *Mobile Hotspot and Tethering not included.

    They now have a plan for $75 (guessing around $80 after taxes)

    gounlimited
    $75
    for 1 line
    Per month. Plus taxes & fees.
    When you enroll in Auto Pay.

    Plan details

    Unlimited 4G LTE data
    Unlimited Talk & Text
    DVD-quality streaming
    Unlimited Mobile Hotspot (600kbps)
    Verizon Up rewards
    Military discount
    Mexico & Canada included

    I'm not sure which is the better buy. I do stream alot when at the cabin. Thanks for any input.
    You didn't name the other plan you're on already. What you described is Go Unlimited, of course, but I can't tell what you're trying to compare it to. Is this postpaid or prepaid?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sorry, it is a prepaid unlimited.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,327
    Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK0044 View Post
    Sorry, it is a prepaid unlimited.
    The plans are basically identical then. There's a suggestion out there that even on Go Unlimited, postpaid customers receive slightly higher data priority than prepaid. But there's no real evidence to back that up. Unless you can benefit from the military discount, or you travel to Canada/Mexico (or call there), you won't notice any real difference probably.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,412
    Feedback Score
    0
    ...My biggest concern is streaming at 600kbps.
    SD video (DVD quality) requires 1.5 Mbps. I have streamed Netflix on hotel 500 Kbps Wifi with the resolution set to low. It worked after buffering twice for a minute or so. Low res video quality is rough, but better than nothing.

    Youtube will automatically adjust the quality for the data speed. Again, it will be rough at 600 Kbps. I don't know what Amazon does.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,327
    Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK0044 View Post
    My biggest concern is streaming at 600kbps.
    I think you added this line after your original post and my first reply. So now I have even more questions. The plan comes with 480p video, so why is there a concern about streaming at 600kbps? That 600kbps only applies to the mobile hotspot.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    The plans are basically identical then. There's a suggestion out there that even on Go Unlimited, postpaid customers receive slightly higher data priority than prepaid. But there's no real evidence to back that up. Unless you can benefit from the military discount, or you travel to Canada/Mexico (or call there), you won't notice any real difference probably.
    There is no tethering on the plan I'm on now, I have to improvise my streaming to Tv. And it doesn't have the 22gb over my head.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    I think you added this line after your original post and my first reply. So now I have even more questions. The plan comes with 480p video, so why is there a concern about streaming at 600kbps? That 600kbps only applies to the mobile hotspot.
    Sorry, left out some things I should have posted in the first post. I stream and cast to tv at the cabin, that is the main reason I have the unlimited.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Posts
    1,327
    Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK0044 View Post
    Sorry, left out some things I should have posted in the first post. I stream and cast to tv at the cabin, that is the main reason I have the unlimited.
    All I can tell you is that 600kbps will work better on hotspot than the 0kbps hotspot you currently get.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,412
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK0044 View Post
    Sorry, left out some things I should have posted in the first post. I stream and cast to tv at the cabin, that is the main reason I have the unlimited.
    If you cast to TV then the performance is based on what they allow the phone to do. That should work fine for DVD quality video if you get 1.5 Mbps at the cabin.

    600 Kbps from the phone as hot spot will work for email, light web browsing, etc. on a desk or notebook computer. It will be noticeably slow, but usable.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    8
    Feedback Score
    0
    Ok I think I have my answer. I'm going to keep my plan because I know it streams fine, just not very confident in the streaming @ 600kbps. Thanks for the replies.

Similar Threads

  1. Which Plan is better?
    By FlavaFlave in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 12:44 PM
  2. which plan is better??
    By jokerstone in forum Bell Mobility
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2007, 09:32 PM
  3. Which plan is better?
    By Moleman in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 04:09 AM
  4. which plan is better
    By vancityguy in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2003, 01:35 PM
  5. Which plan is better ?
    By cool2030 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-17-2002, 06:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks