Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wireless customer agreement updates?

Feedback Score

Wireless customer agreement updates?

What is this? I just got this on this months bill Are they actually gonna limit all roaming data starting April 8thName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1520543249.609965.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  82.3 KB

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I posted earlier they are getting rid of ATT wifi hotspots internationally as well, seems like they're bailing on international support.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    They have been limiting data for years. 100MB domestically. With the international plan ($10 in select countries/day), it still appears that you don't get speed limited until you hit your normal limit or 22GB for unlimited.

I may learn more this fall on my trip if I don't decide to get a local SIM. I'm considering that on arrival, and I could just put my normal iPhone on Wi-Fi to call back to the states.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Administrative fee is going up too.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Feedback Score
    Here is the text of some of the noted sections:

4.5.2 Data

If you use Data Services on other carriers' wireless networks ("off-net data usage") your data usage may be reduced to 2G speeds. In addition, if your off-net data usage during any month exceeds your off-net data usage allowance, AT&T may at its option terminate your access to Data Services, deny your continued use of other carriers' coverage, further reduce your off-net data usage speed, or change your plan to one imposing usage charges for off-net data usage. Your off-net data usage allowance is equal to the lesser of 100 megabytes or 20% of the kilobytes included with your plan. You may be required to use a Device programmed with AT&T's preferred roaming database.

4.6.1.4 International Data:

International data rates apply to all data usage outside the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I., including accessing cloud-based services to upload/download/stream content. International data roaming may be reduced to 2G speeds. Many Devices, including iPhone, transmit and receive data messages without user intervention and can generate unexpected charges when powered "on" outside the United States, Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I. AT&T may send "alerts" via SMS or email, to notify you of data usage. These are courtesy alerts. There is no guarantee you will receive them. They are not a guarantee of a particular bill limit. Receipt of Visual Voicemail messages are charged at international data pay-per-use rates unless customer has an international data plan/package, in which case receipt of Visual Voicemail messages decrement Kilobytes included in such plan/package.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Starting to think they all suck
    Feedback Score
    Biggest thing seems to be International Data may be throttled unless you have an exemption on your account, only have seen the exemption on a CRU (business) account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    What do u think. Do u think hey will actually limit us to 2g speeds in 2018? At the very least they should define a clear limit like Verizon.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    If you look at the small print for the international plans, it indicates that the speeds may be reduced once you go past your plan limits. Maybe, giving ATT the benefit of the doubt, they are just documenting speeds they will provide once you go past the limits.

Guess we will have to wait for people who travel past this date.

100MB is NOTHING for domestic roaming. With this limit, I may end up using my backup plan on a Verizon MVNO.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    AT&T Mobility is simply informing its customers that they may not receive the same speed as they receive with domestic service. The speed provided by a non-AT&T Mobility carrier is controlled by that carrier. There is no way that one carrier can control the speed of another carrier on another network.
    Earl F. Parrish

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    AT&T Mobility is simply informing its customers that they may not receive the same speed as they receive with domestic service. The speed provided by a non-AT&T Mobility carrier is controlled by that carrier. There is no way that one carrier can control the speed of another carrier on another network.
    Yeah, no, they absolutely can. Your posts are generally on point but this is nonsense. They’re informing customers they may be throttled to 2G speeds, by AT&T, which is commonplace 128Kbps while roaming internationally. See T-Mobile free 2G International Roaming. They selectively throttle speeds their customers receive based on their plan, 128Kbps without their One Plus International add-on which doubles those speeds. No issue for AT&T to do the same. Or just as Verizon does with TravelPass after 500MB/day, throttled to 2G speeds for the remaining 24 hours. Just glad my plan is exempt from this change.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bradpgh47 View Post
    What do u think. Do u think hey will actually limit us to 2g speeds in 2018? At the very least they should define a clear limit like Verizon.
    Those (or a small sum) using the International Day Pass may actually be causing AT&T to lose money - having access to Unlimited Data in another country you could theoretically blow through tens of gigs daily which will certainly cost AT&T more than the $10/day you pay them. Say you used 30-40 gigs in two days uploading/downloading tons of data, you certainly cost AT&T more money in roaming fees than they billed you.

Even considering the fact they’re the biggest international roamer network in the US, offsetting their costs with the roaming revenue they receive they still might just break even or even still lose money after paying international networks for the usage their customers incurred.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone7 Plus Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baaadandy View Post
    Yeah, no, they absolutely can. Your posts are generally on point but this is nonsense. They’re informing customers they may be throttled to 2G speeds, by AT&T, which is commonplace 128Kbps while roaming internationally. See T-Mobile free 2G International Roaming. They selectively throttle speeds their customers receive based on their plan, 128Kbps without their One Plus International add-on which doubles those speeds. No issue for AT&T to do the same. Or just as Verizon does with TravelPass after 500MB/day, throttled to 2G speeds for the remaining 24 hours. Just glad my plan is exempt from this change.

T-Mobile sets the roaming speed before you leave the United States. There is nothing the carrier can do interactively about your speed after you have left the country. They can only react to past usage after they receive your roaming history after you return. They can then adjust your future speed while roaming.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I am currently in Mexico using AT&T MX roaming and our speeds have been great! Maybe this is because AT&T owns this network but I can’t complain one bit. If I was on T-Mobile my speeds would have been throttled and unbearable. I have been there done that. Happened while I was in Peru a few months ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by efparri View Post
    T-Mobile sets the roaming speed before you leave the United States. There is nothing the carrier can do interactively about your speed after you have left the country.
    Where are you getting this from?

When you device logs on to the foreign network, that network checks with AT&T to see if you're a legitimate customer and if you're allowed to get roaming data. It's at this point, that AT&T can inform the roaming network that you're only allowed to have 2G speed data. They don't need to do this "before you leave the United States". AT&T doesn't even know which networks you're going to be roaming on before you leave the United States.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if this will apply to Canada? I’m on the old unlimited plus plan so I hope not as we travel to Canada a fair amount.
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast