Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are speeds on Verizon LTE getting better because people are leaving Verizon?

Feedback Score

Are speeds on Verizon LTE getting better because people are leaving Verizon?

I’ve seen the same exact towers for years and yet they are becoming faster and faster. Not sure if it has something to do with Verizon or the customers... What are your thoughts?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Speeds are becoming faster here and we're gaining subs not losing them. They're still densifying by adding small cells, macros, more LTE carriers. 256 QAM is enabled and sites are getting 4x4 MIMO added. Also increasing backhaul, you'd be surprised how many of Verizon's sites are held back by not enough backhaul to even max out the airlink.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Speeds are becoming faster here and we're gaining subs not losing them. They're still densifying by adding small cells, macros, more LTE carriers. 256 QAM is enabled and sites are getting 4x4 MIMO added. Also increasing backhaul, you'd be surprised how many of Verizon's sites are held back by not enough backhaul to even max out the airlink.
    This. I am starting to think this is the case more often than not.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    X2. It’s all about the backhaul

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Another big influence is that they have the video throttle in place now.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    Another big influence is that they have the video throttle in place now.
    It's still lifted for YT streaming in my market.

Device(s)
    iP7, GS8, Galaxy Tab S3, iPad mini 4
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Extra backhaul, more sites- both macro and small, 4X4 MIMO, 256 QAM are all leading contributors that raise speeds for every carrier in the United States. Verizon added 1.59 million net adds in Q4 2017, so it is not about the subscriber volume.
    --Bentley

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score
    There’s a few areas where they are getting congested but over most of the places I use Verizon, the opposite is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiee View Post
    I’ve seen the same exact towers for years and yet they are becoming faster and faster. Not sure if it has something to do with Verizon or the customers... What are your thoughts?
    All the carriers are getting faster. Verizon lost a boat-load of customers to rival networks when unlimited "data abusers" jumped ship to T-Mobile and Sprint. Typically 5-10% of customers consume more than 50% of the available bandwidth. What has changed are more throttling policies, aggressive network management, content caching, compression, video pacing, and traffic prioritization. The same 1-2mbit I used to get on Verizon 3G is the same 1-2mbit I get on LTE. The speed increases have come from more aggregate spectrum (AWS, PCS) on the tower. In my own experience, voice reliability has gotten worse, VoLTE has too many dropped calls so I have to turn it off.

Feedback Score
    Hopefully more unlimited abusers will leave Verizon. We don’t want them slowing down the network that we depend on for email and web access.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Hopefully more unlimited abusers will leave Verizon. We don’t want them slowing down the network that we depend on for email and web access.

How can person who is paying for unlimited data abuse the network?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlimar1 View Post
    How can person who is paying for unlimited data abuse the network?
    They can’t.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Samsung, Motorola.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had this same thought recently. T-Mobile has indirectly benefited me in many ways the changes in carrier plans and increased competition has enabled my single-line plan to be the best cost ever (the $55 5Gb plan). Features like carry-over data and safety mode are also likely due to copying T-Mobile. And finally and the topic of this thread, as others flock to T-Mobile, I presume my network will be a little less loaded.

So while T-Mobile isn't good in the specific areas I care (meaning switching would be a downgrade for me), that doesn't mean they aren't helping my experience.

And yes, if T-Mobile ever goes crazy and actually builds out where I live and play, I'd consider switching to them-- but for now, I'd say they've been a good help to me anyway.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score

Are speeds on Verizon LTE getting better because people are leaving Verizon?

How would someone abuse the current unlimited setup?

First off, the prioritizing point is 22GB, and that is only done on congested cells. Even when it isn’t congested, how is someone over 22GB clogging the network? By Verizon’s own standards, they are not clogging the network if they are using a non-congested cell and they are not prioritized. If the cell is clogged, the unlimited users are already prioritized. Verizon’s own policies prevent the abuse of the network.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You're not making sense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast