Thread: Sims / bundles

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

Sims / bundles

I'm sure this info. is here somewhere. Probably many times. A search just gives too much collateral info. to wade through. So...sorry.

1- When you buy a not-TMFL cdma bundle, is it the phone or the sim card that is not-TMFL?
    2- When you buy a phone bundle that includes minutes, are the minutes "on" the phone or the sim?
    iPhone 6 Plus on Tracfone BYOP.
    I hate Apple. (I really miss Android)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
    1- When you buy a not-TMFL cdma bundle, is it the phone or the sim card that is not-TMFL?
    2- When you buy a phone bundle that includes minutes, are the minutes "on" the phone or the sim?
    1. With a BYOP phone, the TMFL benefit is tied to the SIM. With a TF-branded smartphone, I don't know if TF keeps track by the IMEI or the SIM number, but they're tied together. When I activated my TF-branded Samsung SKY this morning, it asked for either the IMEI or the SIM number.

2. The minutes are stored in TF system (and in the carrier's system also), and not in the SIM nor the phone. It's like your money in the bank is not stored on your bank card, it's just a way to access your account. If your bank card is destroyed, your money in your account doesn't disappear.

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    I guess I'll have to ask it differently.
    My mother has a cdma Tracfone and has TMFL.
    -If I buy her a new (non-TMFL) cdma Tracfone phone/bundle and she does a transfer per their instructions then she'll get the bundle minutes added to her account but loose future TMFL. Correct?
    -If she just takes the sim from her old phone and puts it in the new phone then she maintains TMFL but will she get the bundle minutes?
    Last edited by Brian VT; 03-08-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Feedback Score
    If new phone is not TMFL, you can only use smartphone refills with it as basic refills won't triple.

If old SIM fits new CDMA TracFone, then you can transfer service/number/buckets to the new bundle phone (must keep the SIM in bundle phone it shipped with) to receive the bundle service, then after 24 hours transfer everything back to BYOP SIM to regain TMFL, then swap TMFL BYOP SIM into the new bundle phone.

-If I buy her a new (non-TMFL) cdma Tracfone phone/bundle and she does a transfer per their instructions then she'll get the bundle minutes added to her account but loose future TMFL. Correct?
    -If she just takes the sim from her old phone and puts it in the new phone then she maintains TMFL but will she get the bundle minutes?

Feedback Score
    -If I buy her a new (non-TMFL) cdma Tracfone phone/bundle and she does a transfer per their instructions then she'll get the bundle minutes added to her account but loose future TMFL. Correct? YES.
    NO, the bundle minutes apply to the phone it came with, the phone must be activated for the minutes.
    As others have done, you can xfer from the old phone to the new phone.
    The bundle minutes will add to the new phone.
    Then xfer from the new phone to the old phone to get back the TMFL.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    If new phone is not TMFL, you can only use smartphone refills with it as basic refills won't triple.

If old SIM fits new CDMA TracFone, then you can transfer service/number/buckets to the new bundle phone (must keep the SIM in bundle phone it shipped with) to receive the bundle service, then after 24 hours transfer everything back to BYOP SIM to regain TMFL, then swap TMFL BYOP SIM into the new bundle phone.
    There was no BYOP SIM mentioned in Brian's question. After activating the new phone with a transfer, he simply needs to transfer back to the old CDMA Tracfone (with TMFL).

Feedback Score
    In a later post, he mentioned CDMA SIM from the original phone. He's doing this exercise to update mom's phone to a larger screen size, so wants to use the new phone. Also long as original SIM is from a TMFL smartphone, same swap concept I posted applies.

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    There was no BYOP SIM mentioned in Brian's question. After activating the new phone with a transfer, he simply needs to transfer back to the old CDMA Tracfone (with TMFL).

Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Got it. Thanks.