Thread: Can I switch away from Project Fi?

Feedback Score

Can I switch away from Project Fi?

If I purchase a Moto X4 with google Fi and then in a few months decide I don't like the coverage/ price can I switch the phone away from Fi or is it locked to Project Fi for how long? If I can switch it to say Verizon, can I also use it on Tracfone by switching sims or maybe by just having one CDMA Verizon sim and one Tracfone GSM sim in the phone and manually switching between them?

Feedback Score
    It's a prepaid service, so yes you can leave any time. The moto x4 is unlocked and can be used on any network.

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    After we ported a line away from Project Fi, we had to do a network reset on our Nexus 5x to get the phone to work with the new SIM. The Fi SIM and app had altered a bunch of the phone's settings. The "Call" menu with the forwarding settings has disappeared and even a factory reset didn't get it back.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Thanks Yankees65 and DRNewcomb. Unfortunately Project Fi was a bust for me (even though I was supposed to have coverage at my home addy they could not get me reliable service there so all else was moot) and, since I got out before the 14 day grace period was up I was able to return the phone for a refund. While there were some features of the phone I liked I found that I preferred going back to my iPhones all else being equal.

Carrier(s)
    Google Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    After we ported a line away from Project Fi, we had to do a network reset on our Nexus 5x to get the phone to work with the new SIM. The Fi SIM and app had altered a bunch of the phone's settings. The "Call" menu with the forwarding settings has disappeared and even a factory reset didn't get it back.
    That probably has more to do with the Nexus 5X being a hugely unreliable turd.
    Pixel 2 on Google Fi