Thread: Google voice forwarding/carrier call forwarding?

Feedback Score

Google voice forwarding/carrier call forwarding?

Just curious after reading a previous post regarding Google voice, correct me if I'm wrong but the only reason I need to have call forwarding enabled on my Sim (a phone number I don't use, or give out) is to avoid that carrier Sim voicemail from picking up before Google voice? On my Sim I have all 3 options checked forward when : busy, unreachable, and one other I can't think of right now , versus the "always forward" option which I wasn't aware sent even direct calls to my gv number to gv voicemail but only on the phone with the Sim was the one NOT ringing, my tablet was ringing via Hangouts. I'm confused, so I turned all call forwarding off on the Sim. My main objective was to be able to be away from my Sim phone, or turned off and know that any calls to my gv number would be answered by GV and never the carrier. For instance my non-sim tablet Google voice app letting me know I have voicemail or a missed call.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    The way I did it was to tell my carrier companies to disable VM completely.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Maru View Post
    The way I did it was to tell my carrier companies to disable VM completely.
    That was my desired approach as well, but I ran into a snag. In my case it was with Red Pocket - they had trouble disabling voicemail. Even if they had succeeded I was told that their system would still pickup, but instead of the prompt to leave a voicemail, the caller would receive a notification that the number doesn't have voicemail.

If you have Red Pocket, let me know how you phrased your request, as I would like to try again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by twobytes View Post
    That was my desired approach as well, but I ran into a snag. In my case it was with Red Pocket - they had trouble disabling voicemail. Even if they had succeeded I was told that their system would still pickup, but instead of the prompt to leave a voicemail, the caller would receive a notification that the number doesn't have voicemail.

If you have Red Pocket, let me know how you phrased your request, as I would like to try again.
    Sorry, I currently only have Tello, Lyca and FreedomPop.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    If I'm understanding correctly, the issue described is a fairly common issue with calls to a GV # that are forwarded to a # with it's own voicemail.

The only fix I know about is to set the Call Screening option in GV to "on", so you have to press "1" to answer a call to a GV # on a forwarded #. This prevents the carrier voicemail system from answering the call.

I have posted about this several times over the last few months.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    If I'm understanding correctly, the issue described is a fairly common issue with calls to a GV # that are forwarded to a # with it's own voicemail.

The only fix I know about is to set the Call Screening option in GV to "on", so you have to press "1" to answer a call to a GV # on a forwarded #. This prevents the carrier voicemail system from answering the call.

I have posted about this several times over the last few months.
    With how I have it set up now I don't think carrier vm will pick up. I think the solution you're describing is correct but applies more to the T-Mobile side and its inability for call forwarding. If I do go to the T-Mobile side I'm not willing to play with it screening calls, I'll simply let whichever voicemail pick the call up.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app