Thread: EBay Sim Fraud?

Feedback Score

EBay Sim Fraud?

Is it possible?

I recently posted about an oddity with a t-mobile mvno. Although I live in GA, my browsers show my location at the following address when using the eBay Sim card, even with my location turned on in settings.
    322 E Central Blvd, Orlando, FL 32801

Then this morning I found the WiFi turned on in the tablet. I never turn on WiFi with these unlimited data plans and no other Internet access. I suppose I could have accidently hit the WiFi toggle but doubt it.

Is that the reason these cards are cheap or is there a t-mobile gateway at the FL address?

Feedback Score
    What are you saying?
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB exp 08.10.18
    Red Pocket (AT&T) $184.50yr UTnT 1GB exp 01.23.19
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.20.19
    Tello x2 (Sprint) $5 1call/3mo no exp by 07.02.18

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Lycamobile, Sprint, Tello, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    It sound like your tablet is geolocating to Orlando, not a far stretch for a mobile point of presence. When connected to mobile I see IP based geolocation sometime hundreds of miles from my real location.

Can't speak to the wifi settings. Could be an app with permission turning it on. Or if it is an iPad they will turn wifi back on, it's a new iOS thing that I am not sure how to prevent. Turn it off in settings not the quick access panel is the best thing I found online for this. Maybe the others here are more knowledgeable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rlouder View Post
    Is it possible?

I recently posted about an oddity with a t-mobile mvno. Although I live in GA, my browsers show my location at the following address when using the eBay Sim card, even with my location turned on in settings.

Then this morning I found the WiFi turned on in the tablet. I never turn on WiFi with these unlimited data plans and no other Internet access. I suppose I could have accidently hit the WiFi toggle but doubt it.

Is that the reason these cards are cheap or is there a t-mobile gateway at the FL address?
    Not sure what you're saying, but when i sign into a new device with my Google account, they always send me an email asking if it was me, and the city and state are NEVER correct, I'm not sure what's determining it, doesn't seem to matter if it's a brand new device I've never used it one I've used for months. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the Sim. I usually okay it because it shows the device too. I don't think fraud is the right word, sellers probably have no control over it. More likely Google host doesn't care.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    IPhone 8+
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Is it possible?

normal but I haven’t seen a specific address listed in my browser, As others have said, try a speed test to see what server it connects to. Last IOS update turns on WiFi. To completely turn it off you must to to settings and turn it off there, using control center turns it off for 24 hours and it’s not really off.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Feedback Score
    Fraud likely is the wrong term. Not an apple product.

So is it possible for the device to always geolocate to the same point 500 miles away - not 200, 300, or 500 miles in any other direction but Always THAT location? I got the specific address from a Web site that tries to pin point the exact address. Not being knowledgeable about geocaching, I assumed that either the location was tmo's access point to an internet backbone or something was wrong. The seller failing to respond to my question about the "unknown" phone number may have led to my doubts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Not sure what you're saying, but when i sign into a new device with my Google account, they always send me an email asking if it was me, and the city and state are NEVER correct, I'm not sure what's determining it, doesn't seem to matter if it's a brand new device I've never used it one I've used for months. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the Sim. I usually okay it because it shows the device too. I don't think fraud is the right word, sellers probably have no control over it. More likely Google host doesn't care.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app
    Thank you for that. I get freaked out because every couple months I get these critical security warnings from a couple hundred miles away.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    Thank you for that. I get freaked out because every couple months I get these critical security warnings from a couple hundred miles away.
    Please start a new thread about security warnings instead of hijacking here. Thanks.

Any info on my question in post 6 is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    Please start a new thread about security warnings instead of hijacking here. Thanks.

Any info on my question in post 6 is appreciated.
    My response is on point of where this thread is flowing. I don't do aple. Google is mentioned & I have a comparable experience.

Device(s)
    i576, i355, i700+
    Carrier(s)
    MiKE
    Feedback Score
    At some point the IP address that you are on got identified with the strange address. This happens with mobile networks where IP addresses are continuously recycled.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, bmccull.

Should I expect better or different results when changing to a different Sim and number from the same mvno?

Device(s)
    LG G4, Galaxy S6, Moto E LTE, Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, FreedomPop, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, bmccull.

Should I expect better or different results when changing to a different Sim and number from the same mvno?
    Unlikely. Your MVNO probably routes all traffic through the same Florida gateway. Turn on GPS if you want to be geplocated accurately.
    My site: PrepaidPhoneNews.com My other sites: wapreview.com, boostapps.com

Feedback Score
    The GPS option isn't attractive due to battery drain. Guess I can turn the location service off and let it base location on search history.

It's still hard to believe there isn't an underlying problem when the OS on two different devices is unable to obtain the phone number.