Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the cheapest way to get a US SMS Number?

Feedback Score

What is the cheapest way to get a US SMS Number?

I have to get a us number that is sms capable. I only need it to receive a text message because my google voice number cannot receive the text message because its not sms capable. Thus i don't believe i need to use it anymore after getting just one text message.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pauly02 View Post
    I have to get a us number that is sms capable. I only need it to receive a text message because my google voice number cannot receive the text message because its not sms capable. Thus i don't believe i need to use it anymore after getting just one text message.
    What you posted doesn't make a lot of sense. All GV #s are capable of SMS. Can you clarify the problem?

Other ways to get a US # with SMS capability with no cost is TextNow and Talkatone.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min-1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1-2013-2016
    Selectel Flex-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM-2016-
    T-Mo-Data-2017-
    3-2018-

Ericsson AF738 Jul99-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Carrier(s)
    back on US Mobile for the time being
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    What you posted doesn't make a lot of sense. All GV #s are capable of SMS.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    What you posted doesn't make a lot of sense. All GV #s are capable of SMS. Can you clarify the problem?

Other ways to get a US # with SMS capability with no cost is TextNow and Talkatone.
    Google Voice numbers are not real mobile numbers. Some senders will not send to anything they don't think is a real mobile number. Other VOIP services may fail as well. I have heard that some banks do this.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Google Voice numbers are not real mobile numbers. Some senders will not send to anything they don't think is a real mobile number. Other VOIP services may fail as well. I have heard that some banks do this.
    That's true, there are a few banks, such as Chase, that have antiquated systems (per Chase CSRs that I spoke with) that won't work with a GV #, however, there is no way to tell if that's what pauly02 is talking about.

pauly02, please explain more clearly what your issue with GV is. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Relztrah View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.

Feedback Score
    My issue is the site that i use where they send me verification, they will send me a code to my phone number. But there is an error that says they cannot send a text message to forwarding service number and google voice is one of them. Thus if i gave them a voip number for them to send text to, it wont work. I sent an email to them and they confirmed, i need to get an sms enabled cell phone number. I only need this number once only to verify my account i believe. Thus after this, i could log in and log out with google authenticator or authy etc. So the person who mentioned certain banks dont allow google voice to work with GV number... thats exactly the issue im having. Its not chase but some other site.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    My issue is the site that i use where they send me verification, they will send me a code to my phone number. But there is an error that says they cannot send a text message to forwarding service number and google voice is one of them. Thus if i gave them a voip number for them to send text to, it wont work. I sent an email to them and they confirmed, i need to get an sms enabled cell phone number. I only need this number once only to verify my account i believe. Thus after this, i could log in and log out with google authenticator or authy etc. So the person who mentioned certain banks dont allow google voice to work with GV number... thats exactly the issue im having. Its not chase but some other site.
    I mentioned Chase. But with Chase, they allow a verification code to be sent via email, too.

Are you saying email verification isn't an option for the secret place that you're trying to get a code from?

If so, it looks like your only option is to get a SIM card from someplace like H2O and activate a new # for $10.

If Chase didn't offer email as an alternative for their inability to use my GV # to send verification codes, I'd cancel the last of my accounts with them, because my only #s are GV #s!

Feedback Score
    Hey there. Well its not a bank but something very similar.

They don't allow email verification. Its only phone number verification. But once you do that, you could then have google authenticator or authy has your 2FA.

Okay so something like H20 is what i want and it cost $10. Then do i have to set up a short plan?

Feedback Score
    Hey there. Well its not a bank but something very similar.

They don't allow email verification. Its only phone number verification. But once you do that, you could then have google authenticator or authy has your 2FA.

Okay so something like H20 is what i want and it cost $10. Then do i have to set up a short plan?
    Whatever service you use you will have to get a SIM and active paid service to get a phone number.

I don't recall you saying what the phone is, unless it is a Phoenix 2 mentioned in another topic.

Unless the Phoenix 2 is carrier unlocked, you will have to use a AT&T MVNO. H2O is and Tracfone is another one.

I don't know what the price of a H2O SIM is. Tracfone is $1 and would be $10 minimum to activate service. That would be a $10 minutes "card" from the Tracfone web site. They are not sold in that denomination anywhere else. The Tracfone $10 service is good for 30 days. I think H2O is 90 days. After that you can just let the service lapse. Just don't sign up for any auto pay plans.

If the Phoenix 2 is unlocked or you want to pay $2 to get it unlocked you could do this with T-Mobile or MVNO. There is or was a $3 plan with T-Mo. Don't know if it is still available or what the SIM/Activation costs.

Feedback Score
    My phone is an unlocked iphone.

Feedback Score
    Lycamobile (T-Mobile MVNO). $1 for SIM and $10 top-up without expiration

Feedback Score
    Heck, I have a problem with accounts not even accepting a Tracfone phone number for some reason.

Feedback Score
    I mentioned Chase. But with Chase, they allow a verification code to be sent via email, too.

Are you saying email verification isn't an option for the secret place that you're trying to get a code from?

If Chase didn't offer email as an alternative for their inability to use my GV # to send verification codes, I'd cancel the last of my accounts with them, because my only #s are GV #s!
    I've run into this only a couple of times, but I think it was a friend who had a Target Visa/Mastercard - they were unable to send an SMS for security verification to a GV number. Their backup method was to revert to asking a series of questions. Ultimately I wish they would all move to a time based authentication app, given that both the former methods I mentioned can be easier to circumvent. Those experiences were probably about a year go, so who knows, maybe it's improved. Then again I don't find financial institutions to be be at the forefront of security concerns

Carrier(s)
    Cricket x 10 lines
    Feedback Score
    speedtalk sims are about $10 for first one $7 for additional on ebay including $5 credit for 30 days work fine for paypal\ bank\ ebay verification etc

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    Heck, I have a problem with accounts not even accepting a Tracfone phone number for some reason.
    Now that's odd! I wonder how the company's verification can tell that your # on the Vzw, AT&T, or T-Mo network is through TF somehow?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast