Thread: LG Stylo 3 not available for BYOP

Device(s)
    Moto G5+, Samsung Galaxy S4, Moto G, Moto E, iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, SafeLink
    Feedback Score

LG Stylo 3 not available for BYOP

So my son down in Florida wants to upgrade from his LG K7 to the Stylo 3 plus.
    I was thinking that I would just buy one as a gift, but I'm not familiar with Metro PCS and their BYOP program.
    The first thing I've encountered is when you try to check a Stylo 3 for a BYOP SIM, the website says the phone is not supported. I find this incomprehensible, since MetroPCS shows this model phone for sale, and even has a discount price on it for NEW customers.
    My other question is, since both phones use the same size SIM, could he just swap the SIM from his K7 into a Stylo 3 and just use the new phone with no needed assistance from MetroPCS?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app
    "The differences between how you act when people are watching, and how you act when no one is watching, define who you really are."

Device(s)
    LG Stylo 3+
    Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS
    Feedback Score
    My other question is, since both phones use the same size SIM, could he just swap the SIM from his K7 into a Stylo 3 and just use the new phone with no needed assistance from MetroPCS?
    He would need to call the customer service with the new phone's IMEI. Then once they update his account, he can transfer the sim and everything should work.

Feedback Score
    What you are doing really isn't byop. You are buying a metro branded handset (the Stylo 3) to replace their metro branded handset (the k7). The problem you are going to run into is metro won't sell you the device without service. So you would be better off sending your son the money for the device and him going into a store to do the upgrade.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Think about this scenario:

“Buy” aka “pay for the service”, a Stylo 3+ (do the port in from a competitor (the AT&T route will cost you about $3)) for a free phone. Then call Metro and have them swap the SIM/telephone number from your son’s current phone to the new phone, then cancel the new number/old phone*. Done.

*How close to the magic “90 days to unlock” date is your son’s current phone? If he’s close enough, keep the service active since it’s paid for anyway, unlock the phone and sell it. That should be more than enough to recoup the cost of the “new” line that nets him a Stylo 3+.
    Last edited by bakedapple; 03-13-2018 at 11:11 AM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    Think about this scenario:

“Buy” aka “pay for the service”, a Stylo 3+ (do the port in from a competitor (the AT&T route will cost you about $3)) for a free phone. Then call Metro and have them swap the SIM/ telephone number from your son’s current phone to the new phone, then cancel the new number/old phone*. Done.

*How close to the magic “90 days to unlock” date is your son’s current phone? If he’s close enough, keep the service active since it’s paid for anyway, unlock the phone and sell it. That should be more than enough to recoop the cost of the “new” line that nets him a Stylo 3+.
    You'd have to cancel the new account first. They wouldn't let you swap the Stylo 3 to another account while it is still tied to an account.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgentCarl View Post
    You'd have to cancel the new account first. They wouldn't let you swap the Stylo 3 to another account while it is still tied to an account.
    Open a new line on the same, current account. I’ve done it; no problem moving numbers/SIMs around within the same account.

Feedback Score
    Open a new line on the same, current account. I’ve done it, no problem moving numbers/SIMS around.
    Oh I gotcha. Basically add a line then switch devices. Yeah that you can do. If it's a separate account though you'd have to close the new Stylo 3 account first.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Oh I gotcha. Basically add a line then switch devices. Yeah that you can do. If it's a separate account though you'd have to close the new Stylo 3 account first.
    You got it! Exactly.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Actually, you can combine multiple accounts. But I think there’s a fee to do that, even if you call in.

Feedback Score
    Actually, you can combine multiple accounts. But I think there’s a fee to do that, even if you call in.
    Yeah you can combine 2 accounts into 1 multiline account. If it's 2 separate accounts though they tie the phone to the account, kind of a call back to the old cdma days. If the phones are on the same account you can switch em around however you want, if they are on separate accounts you either have to get the device off the account by switching to another one that's not tied to any account, or you need to close the account to clear the line off of it. I wish metro would update the system to where you don't have to do that, but they haven't yet and doesn't look like they are going to.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Yeah you can combine 2 accounts into 1 multiline account. If it's 2 separate accounts though they tie the phone to the account, kind of a call back to the old cdma days. If the phones are on the same account you can switch em around however you want, if they are on separate accounts you either have to get the device off the account by switching to another one that's not tied to any account, or you need to close the account to clear the line off of it. I wish metro would update the system to where you don't have to do that, but they haven't yet and doesn't look like they are going to.
    Yep! The whole “can’t freely move SIMs around” angle is my biggest complaint about Metro.

Feedback Score
    Yep! The whole “can’t freely move SIMs around” angle is my biggest complaint about Metro.
    I agree. It's the only reason I don't move my TMobile postpaid line to metro. Otherwise I would in a heartbeat.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I agree. It's the only reason I don't move my TMobile postpaid line to metro. Otherwise I would in a heartbeat.
    I just moved two of my Metro lines to TMO postpaid yesterday (the 2 lines/$60 55+ Plan).