Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AT&T, or a carrier that uses it? Need to know by Wed. (14)

Feedback Score

AT&T, or a carrier that uses it? Need to know by Wed. (14)

I have become more than disgusted with my current cell company, and would like go back to one that uses the network my first cell provider used, AT&T.

My local pharmacy -- calling them is a particular nightmare with Total Wireless (who uses VZW) -- sometimes has deals on (apparently close to being discontinued) phones... this week they've been showing one from AT&T, a flip phone like I've been using and want to continue to use.

What I'm wondering, since some area retailers carry moderately-priced AT&T airtime cards, whether I could just buy and use those... AT&T at their site talks only about plans starting at $35, and I can't see spending that much in a month when I might not honestly use that many minutes.

Another option is h2o, which uses the AT&T network, but while their airtime is readily available, I'd have to get the AT&T phone from the pharmacy anyway, and get it unlocked, and get h2o's ($10?) BYOP SIM, as h2o's flip phones are in short supply, if not discontinued. The other Slim companies are, of course, out of the question due to the 12-month rule before they can be unlocked.

I've got to do something about this by Wednesday, else I'll either be stuck with the TW phone and its headaches another month, or I'll be without a phone till another solution can be found. I'm in the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania.

dL

Feedback Score
    AT&T prepaid ?? they do have a $2 daily plan available. - https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/pl...ku4940399.html

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    ATT has other plans, like $2 for any day in the month that you use it. Don't know anyone who has used it.
    iPhone X on ATT Prepaid. Backup iPhone 7+ on inexpensive Verizon MVNO plan. Hopefully covers me in the continental US for phone usage. Cheaper than a single unlimited plan on ATT or Verizon or T-Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    PagePlus $12 plan
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Latimer View Post
    Another option is h2o, which uses the AT&T network, but while their airtime is readily available, I'd have to get the AT&T phone from the pharmacy anyway, and get it unlocked, and get h2o's ($10?) BYOP SIM, as h2o's flip phones are in short supply, if not discontinued.
    I could be wrong about this, but I don't think you would need to get an AT&T phone unlocked in order to use it with H2O. SIM cards sell for a buck on eBay. It sounds like you probably want the paygo plan which is 5ȼ a minute or text.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    That is correct, you do not need to unlock an AT&T phone to use on H2O or other AT&T MVNOs.

Feedback Score
    ^I seem to remember reading that, maybe on h2o's site... thanks mframe. And no, october262, I'd need it for more than a day, more like the foreseeable future. dL
    Last edited by Dale Latimer; 03-13-2018 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Added smiley

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    So, did you decide on H2O's $10/90 day paygo plan?

Unless something has changed recently, as already noted above, you should be able to use an AT&T Prepaid flip phone with H2O.

Since tomorrow is your deadline, and you stated that H2O is available to you locally, buying a H2O SIM card and a H2O $10/90 day paygo plan is probably the best way for you to make the switch quickly.

How many minutes/mo do you use?

How many texts/mo do you send/receive?

Feedback Score
    ^I seem to remember reading that, maybe on h2o's site... thanks mframe. And no, october262, I'd need it for more than a day, more like the foreseeable future. dL
    the $2 daily plan is good for 30 days it only cost on days it's used.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Qualcomm, Galaxy S8 (SM-G950U)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone, AT&T network is a great option for you! Will work in a locked AT&T phone as well. They have a lot of great plans to choose from and they’re cheap. Especially if you don’t use a lot of minutes and texts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PimeTechnology
    youtube.com/pimetechnology

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pimetech View Post
    Tracfone, AT&T network is a great option for you! Will work in a locked AT&T phone as well. And Unlocked of course. They have a lot of great plans to choose from and they’re cheap. Especially if you don’t use a lot of minutes, texts, data. They also offer helpful add-ons. Check them out!
    How are those "Smartphone Only Plans" helpful or a good value for someone who uses a flip phone? How would it be better for someone with light usage, especially if the H2O $10/90 days paygo plan, which is $3.33/30 days, will provide sufficient minutes for the expected usage?

Of course, I think we're still waiting to find out Dale Latimer's usage...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    How are those "Smartphone Only Plans" helpful or a good value for someone who uses a flip phone?
    Just went ahead and updated my post for a basic phone. Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pimetech View Post
    Just went ahead and updated my post for a basic phone. Thanks for clarifying.

Yes, those look like a better choice than the "Smartphone Only Plans" for Dale Latimer's described usage!

But the value isn't there on the low-end compared to the H2O $10/90 day paygo plan, which provides 200 minutes over the 90 days, at $0.05/minute.

I forgot to mention before that the H2O $10/90 day paygo plan is actually $9 if using auto-pay.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Yes, those look like a better choice than the "Smartphone Only Plans" for Dale Latimer's described usage!

But the value isn't there on the low-end compared to the H2O $10/90 day paygo plan, which provides 200 minutes at $0.05/minute.
    H20 looks like a good option as well. I actually have a sim from them somewhere in my desk. The more reccomendations and choices he has, the better!

Feedback Score
    So, did you decide on H2O's $10/90 day paygo plan?

Unless something has changed recently, as already noted above, you should be able to use an AT&T Prepaid flip phone with H2O.

Since tomorrow is your deadline, and you stated that H2O is available to you locally, buying a H2O SIM card and a H2O $10/90 day paygo plan is probably the best way for you to make the switch quickly.

How many minutes/mo do you use?

How many texts/mo do you send/receive?
    My exact usage tends to vary widely, but the $10 plan at best only gives me 200 call/text units. Ideally I'd like the $25 plan which brings as many as 1,000 call/text units, and that's why I'm going back to the Best Buy where I got the previous phone I'm giving up. Family Dollar stores, also mentioned in the store info on the website, are often dicey in carrying less-common brand services like this one... the name-brands, sure, but even some of Slim's marks are hard to come by at 'dollar' chains, at least in my experience. I'd rather be incentivized (new word for you!) by having more calls/texts available to me.

It bites because the weather here has been and will continue for the next few days to be... annoying, but this is what I gotta do.

And again, to clarify to some of you, I don't have a credit card, and can't partake of any offer/plan such as automatic renewals. The card will come down the road when my situation improves, but a lot of non-HOFO stuff is involved.

Thanks for all your concern.

dL

Feedback Score
    My exact usage tends to vary widely, but the $10 plan at best only gives me 200 call/text units. Ideally I'd like the $25 plan which brings as many as 1,000 call/text units, and that's why I'm going back to the Best Buy where I got the previous phone I'm giving up. Family Dollar stores, also mentioned in the store info on the website, are often dicey in carrying less-common brand services like this one... the name-brands, sure, but even some of Slim's marks are hard to come by at 'dollar' chains, at least in my experience. I'd rather be incentivized (new word for you!) by having more calls/texts available to me.

It bites because the weather here has been and will continue for the next few days to be... annoying, but this is what I gotta do.

And again, to clarify to some of you, I don't have a credit card, and can't partake of any offer/plan such as automatic renewals. The card will come down the road when my situation improves, but a lot of non-HOFO stuff is involved.

Thanks for all your concern.

dL
    Cricket has a 25.00 a month talk and text plan. Unlimited minutes and text messages.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast