Thread: Cricket iPhone 6s. Is it an A1633 or an A1687?

Feedback Score

Cricket iPhone 6s. Is it an A1633 or an A1687?

Cricket iPhone 6s question

The iPhone 6s was a bit unique in that both the AT&T model(A1633) and the Verizon model (A1687) had both CDMA and GSM (later AT&T versions of iPhones do not support CDMA). The AT&T model had band 30 while the Verizon model did not. But the AT&T model was locked and the Verizon model was not.

Does anyone know it the 6s being sold by Cricket for $299.99 is the A1633 or the A1687? If it's the former, can it be unlocked to work on Verizon?

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Not sure which model they are selling, just remember that all phone requires 6 months of uninterrupted service to request unlocks from cricket.

Feedback Score
    No, iPhone 7 and up are the trouble cuz they use 2 different chips (intel for gsm only, and Qualcomm for cdma, but still support gsm). 6S is still good and supports both cdma and gsm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chicolo View Post
    No, iPhone 7 and up are the trouble cuz they use 2 different chips (intel for gsm only, and Qualcomm for cdma, but still support gsm). 6S is still good and supports both cdma and gsm.
    Isn't that what I said?

The AT&T and Verizon models of the 6s both support CDMA, but the AT&T adds one more LTE band (30).

I know that AT&T/Cricket disable the CDMA radios in the Samsung S series models that they sell (S7, S8, S9). I wonder if they do the same thing with the iPhone 6s that they sell, even if you get it unlocked after six months. For the 7 and 8 there is no CDMA support in the AT&T model as they use the inferior radio chip that lacks CDMA.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by smsgator View Post
    I know that AT&T/Cricket disable the CDMA radios in the Samsung S series models that they sell (S7, S8, S9). I wonder if they do the same thing with the iPhone 6s that they sell, even if you get it unlocked after six months. For the 7 and 8 there is no CDMA support in the AT&T model as they use the inferior radio chip that lacks CDMA.
    I don't know what model Cricket stocks (I seem to remember they got the Qualcomm modem-equipped iPhone 7 for awhile, unlike AT&T), but AT&T/Cricket don't disable anything when it comes to iPhones (outside of SIM-locking). If unlocked, an iPhone will work with any carrier that its hardware is compatible with (no custom firmware or other things that typically happen on the Android side of things). Keep in mind that iPhones (7/7 Plus/8/8 Plus/X) sold for AT&T at Best Buy and Target are typically the Qualcomm modem-equipped ones, as those stores won't need to keep multiple in stock. Typically, they lock to whatever carrier at the point of sale, with the first SIM that is used, or when scanned (that's how an unused AT&T Prepaid SE gets locked even without breaking the seal).

Band 30 is nice to have, and in some areas helps, but if you don't have an iPhone with it, the experience will still be closer to someone with a new iPhone, than, say an iPhone without Band 12 on T-Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Just looked at the box my wife's Cricket 6s came in, and it is a A1633 model.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    An ATT A1633 might not be white listed on Verizon’s network. So if you plan to take it to Verizon towers after unlock that might be problematic. Not sure how easy/difficult it is to white list on Verizon.

You can go to settings/general/about and look for MEID. If it has a number then it should work with verizon sim once unlocked.