Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Official Tello Mobile thread

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    but for Tello the changes were required by their new agreements (a year and a half ago) with Sprint (now T-Mobile) and they had to enforce those rules or face losing access to Sprint's network.
    What new agreements?

Also again noting that changes like this are common and expiration dates, usually within 90 days, have been an industry standard for 15 years.
    I don't have a problem with the change in policy, I have a problem with the bad customer service of not notifying and warning the customer before the balance expire whatsoever, as do many other customers. A policy change this drastic should have been sent to the customers instead of quietly changing the Terms of Service so that even their CS reps don't even know the actual policies and gives contradicting information.

Making money from customers oversight and 'gotchas' isn't just 'doing business', it's horrible policy. It's the kind of crap that made people leave T-Mobile years ago.

When I was pay-go on Verizon, they had always required a minimum of $25 every 3 months to keep service, even after they changed to charge me $2 every day I used the phone - even if i only sent one text.
    And the reasons why tello flourished was because they are not like verizon or T-Mobile. They were generous with their plans and expiration policies. It's why tons of people switched over.

Still someone noted he was able to recently setup auto-pay for only $10, so that option still sits on the table. Also, auto-pay is the best option if one doesn't want to worry about losing service because it will top the account when it runs low and/or before it expires.
    I think people are confused. The auto recharge only triggers when balance is <$2. It has nothing to do with the 90 days.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I am starting to notice some serious PR failures from them now too.

It's all revolving around the migration to T-Mobile's network.

Sure you can read about it on Facebook and their BLOG, but they have put NOTHING on the main site to alert users this change is coming within the next couple of months and are STILL selling devices that will not work with the new network and become unusable within 6 months. To make matters worse, there's nothing on the phones page to alert you to this except that they quietly began advertising which devices do support VoLTE (a Technology they do not have on Sprint). However, you would have to dig through the blog to realize that only the devices advertised with VoLTE will be compatible with the new network.

They have got to fix this lack of direct communication with their own customers, now some will leave over this as well - even though anyone who signed up within the past year or two should have seen the writing on the wall and been following it. (Simply because they are open about being a Sprint MVNO and Sprint/T-Mobile were in the process of getting the merger approved.)

Yes, the Sprint CDMA network will be shut down by the end of next year, so all Sprint CDMA only devices (or devices not compatible with T-Mobile) will become bricks. Sadly a lot that are leaving are leaving because they want to keep a device that will stop working within a year regardless of who's hosting their service.
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thamster View Post
    What new agreements?
    While I cannot say for a fact it is a new agreement that caused the TOS change, I can say that is typically the case with MVNO carriers.

For the longest time, we've told people that if you sign up for service on a prepaid/MVNO carrier (or any carrier/service really), you better stay on top of them. (Like checking in on their site for changes about once a month or so) Because a lot of them have had this tendency to quietly make changes to their services and Terms without ANY direct communication with customers that may be affected. (Usually those changes would negatively impact pay-go customers more than those paying a monthly bill.)

Many of those changes that take affect tend to be in response to changes in the MVNO's own agreements with their parent networks, including when an agreement renewal led to said changes.

Just like I mentioned before, nearly ALL MVNO's (all companies/services really) have the clause (within their own TOS) that you should keep an eye on their TOS as the terms may change without direct notifications/notice to customers/users - even if those changes impact said customers directly. (Which is common because nearly EVERY website has terms setup in the same way, changes can be made without notice - which could explain how many people get mad when something they posted to FB that was fine last year suddenly got them banned this year.)

So, while I fully agree its frustrating as hell when said changes affect you and you were not made aware of them directly. When Verizon changed to charging a daily access fee, I - along with thousands of others - were not informed till the day we sent a text and then noticed there was an additional $2 missing from our balances. They never told us the change was retroactive, but since it was Pay-go, they changed the plans and terms on the site to reflect said changes for all customers. This is where pay-go tends to be more expensive and limiting, users relying on Pay-go get the shortest end of the stick and the pay-go terms not only can change to negative impact you, they more than likely will.

Essentially, since their is no monthly bill or agreement, the terms of service can change at will and retroactively for all customers. Usually a monthly bill would require at least 14 days notice before the changes go into affect, but this is not guaranteed. If the rates change, you pay the new rates even if you were unaware of the change and have signed up when the old rates were listed. Same goes for anything in the Terms that would make a requirement to top up every 3 months or lose service. Just because you were unaware of the rule change (by not following their directions in the Terms to keep yourself updated) - and by continuing to use the service - you agreed to the rule change (as per the terms) - therefore you agree to let them cut your service for failure to pay.

Thing is, with pay-go services - there has always been the clause that rates and terms can change without notice and the carrier may terminate your service for any reason, with or without notice. This has just been common practice within the prepaid industry.

I get it that it's upsetting when it happens to you, because it happened to me several times - with SEVERAL different carriers.
    (One of them, I realized it was part of the TOS and I should have been on top of it, and since it was the only one that worked where I lived at the time, I did re-signup with a new number.)

I added the point that you should stay on top of the terms for all carriers/services you sign up for because like mentioned, FB changed Terms without notice, and when Netflix raised prices it went up for everyone - not just new customers - so even I was paying more for my Netflix account that I had open for years (and they NEVER directly e-mailed me about the changes in pricing.)
    Last edited by jmac32here; 10-24-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    nearly ALL MVNO's (all companies/services really) have the clause (within their own TOS) that you should keep an eye on their TOS as the terms may change without direct notifications/notice to customers/users - even if those changes impact said customers directly.
    It's a nice CYA for when they don't notify customers so they get screwed. Is it legal? Sure. Its it bad customer service? Yes.

I added the point that you should stay on top of the terms for all carriers/services you sign up for because like mentioned, FB changed Terms without notice, and when Netflix raised prices it went up for everyone - not just new customers - so even I was paying more for my Netflix account that I had open for years (and they NEVER directly e-mailed me about the changes in pricing.)
    Do you read your terms of services contracts for everything you use (cell, cable, internet, Netflix, Prime, Wi-Fi hotspots, shopping, bank, credit card, gift cards, mortgage, etc.) cover-to-cover every time they make a change?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It's a nice CYA for when they don't notify customers so they get screwed. Is it legal? Sure. Its it bad customer service? Yes.

Do you read your terms of services contracts for everything you use (cell, cable, internet, Netflix, Prime, Wi-Fi hotspots, shopping, bank, credit card, gift cards, mortgage, etc.) cover-to-cover every time they make a change?
    Never said it had to be read in its fullest, but at least kept on top of for the major points that would affect you - like pricing and certain other agreements. (Like seeing if there would be a clause that would allow a company to change rates or - in the case of paygo - rules regarding usage/top ups with or without notice.) If a change occurs can always skim through to see if said changes actually affect your service. (There's actually apps/plugins that can watch certain webpages for changes and alert you and even give you the rundown of said changes. There's services that do it too. Which is helpful when wanting to keep on top of changes. )

However, Tello's TOS is the easiest to "skim" since they have the page broken down into segments regarding all sorts of usages, including a special section for pay as you go that actually isn't too long to read. (Same goes for the acceptable usage.) Also, they have been pretty good about announcing changes to plans (which mentioned changes to the TOS at least once) on their own BLOG AND FB posts. So while not being super great at direct communication when things like this change, they at least try to get the news out there where it is easier to digest.

Yet again, it's not good that they cannot seem to get messages to each and every customer directly (in some cases, they did try, but the e-mail/TXT bounced) - but my entire argument is that they are NOT the only company with this problem. NEARLY EVERY company I've gotten services from has had the SAME EXACT problem - including the FIVE times prices were increased by Netflix WITHOUT any warning - except the warnings given out by news sources online that I had to dig to find. I don't disagree that it sucks that this lack of communication is happening - I'm just saying it's so common, with nearly all companies and services, that it is super easy for PAY-GO customers to fall through the cracks regardless of who the carrier is. Especially if you are not on the site all too often because you may have had the device as a glove box phone.

Which is why I have always argued that no matter what, customers are best checking for these types of changes at least once a year or so. (TOS's don't tend to change all too often, and they can be without warning.) It would be best if they would send an e-mail stating the terms did change, but even those e-mails can easily bounce if your mail service thinks its spam or whatever, which makes it seem like there was no warning - even if they did try to. (I've had a lot of those e-mails come in, but get filtered into my spam folder. I already got 2 TOS change e-mails from Tello in the 1 year that I've been a customer - both were filtered to my SPAM folder, and even though I did sign up for their newsletter - I cannot find the confirmation e-mail they said they sent me at all.)

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Also, they have been pretty good about announcing changes to plans (which mentioned changes to the TOS at least once) on their own BLOG AND FB posts. So while not being super great at direct communication when things like this change, they at least try to get the news out there where it is easier to digest.
    Just noticed they actually have different verbiage in their TOS. In one section it said '3 months since last order' while in another, it's 3 months since PAYGO order'. They can't even keep their policies straight. Note also 3 months is not 90 days. Not a big deal? Going by '3 months' and off a day or two and you lose your entire balance.

Yet again, it's not good that they cannot seem to get messages to each and every customer directly (in some cases, they did try, but the e-mail/TXT bounced)
    Also found out they DID warn some customers their balances are expiring, while for others they only got a message AFTER their balance was already gone. Apparently it's selective. Nice huh? Shady.

but my entire argument is that they are NOT the only company with this problem.
    Again, the reason why people recommended tello before is because they're not like the others. In fact their non-expiring balance was one of their big marketing draws.

Also, someone pointed out it may not be legal that they confiscated balance deposited under the old 'balance do not expire' terms. Would take a class-action suit to find out of course.
    Last edited by thamster; 10-26-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Nearly all the complaint's I've seen regarding this paygo problem on the BBB opens a ticket with Tello where they tend to confirm that they did attempt to warn each customer directly via e-mail, but even Tello will confirm in their comments that the e-mails were bounced back to them for whatever reason. This is part of their reply with nearly all paygo account complaints.

So perhaps they are trying, but the email doesn't make it through, as they claim their logs state, or even their PR is full of it?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I can tell you their PR is full of it. I have multiple lines and none of them received a 'your balance is expiring' as others have. I did receive a warning... AFTER they took the balance. Funny how marketing emails have no problems getting through (I get them all the time).

They also just took the PAYGO balance of a line I have a monthly plan on. Apparently a monthly plan is not considered an order for PAYGO purposes now (even though CS told customers it counted before). They can take your PAYGO balance even if you have a monthly plan if you haven't added PAYGO in 90 days. What crock.

This changing of their terms, not informing customers/CS and random enforcement of policies are horrendous.

Feedback Score
    I can tell you their PR is full of it. I have multiple lines and none of them received a 'your balance is expiring' as others have. I did receive a warning... AFTER they took the balance. Funny how marketing emails have no problems getting through (I get them all the time).

They also just took the PAYGO balance of a line I have a monthly plan on. Apparently a monthly plan is not considered an order for PAYGO purposes now (even though CS told customers it counted before). They can take your PAYGO balance even if you have a monthly plan if you haven't added PAYGO in 90 days. What crock.

This changing of their terms, not informing customers/CS and random enforcement of policies are horrendous.
    Wow! If Tello is doing what's stated in your 2nd paragraph, that's new and not at all what was previously understood by most people!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm starting to think some people on here are being less than honest about certain things to make smaller pre-paid carriers look bad and/or directly attack this carriers without "breaking" any rules. Especially when certain claims do not match the information on profiles.

I still understand frustrations when communications fall through, but when the only real means of communications are NOT reliable in the least (My phone no longer receives calls/TXTs while I'm home and my e-mail HAS bounced warning e-mails while STILL sending me the final notice after the account was closed) than we cannot say it is SOLELY the fault of the sender, especially if they DO have records of e-mails being sent.

But again, if you use a service as your primary, you should know how that company operates and the best way is the TOS.
    If it's just something to tinker with, than it's probably best not to invest too much into it, especially at first.

Yes, the Sprint network around my house IS being dismantled, so it's less than reliable anywhere I use it now. Still sticking it out for the $14 monthly rates and the promise of a Tello branded (T-Mobile) SIM soon.

Feedback Score

That sounds odd about loosing your Paygo balance. We have 3 lines on monthly plans, with a PayGo balance. None of them have lost the PayGO balance, and none of them have had new PayGO purchases within the last year.

If you've maintained a monthly plan, have you asked Customer Service about why your PayGO balance disappeared?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    That sounds odd about loosing your Paygo balance. We have 3 lines on monthly plans, with a PayGo balance. None of them have lost the PayGO balance, and none of them have had new PayGO purchases within the last year.

If you've maintained a monthly plan, have you asked Customer Service about why your PayGO balance disappeared?
    Hello.

I didn't lose my PG balance, I just ported my number out.

However, before doing so, after receiving a warning about my PG balance, I asked C.S. about it and this was their reply:

Dear [REDACTED],

Thank you for choosing Tello.

Please be advised that the 90 days cycle applies only for PAYG credit.

If you subscribe for a monthly plan, if you do not place an order in 40 days, you will receive the notification that the number will be expired.

If you purchase PAYG credit, you will be able to use it 90 days since the last order.
    If you purchase a monthly plan, your service will be active 40 days since the last order.

We appreciate your understanding.

Don't forget we provide 24/7 live Customer Support, so contact us anytime night or day or check out our Help Center at:
    https://www.tello.com/help_center.

You can also reach us by phone on 1-866-377-0294 or 1-678-306-1436 or direct from your Tello service when you dial 611.

Sincerely,
    Mihail Vass
    Tello
    Regrettably, dealing with Tello C.S. nowadays is like shoveling sand (I'm being polite) against the tide.

I will never do business with Tello again.
    A genius is one who shoots at something no one else can see, and hits it (author unknown).

--
    Liborio

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Liborio View Post
    Hello.

I didn't lose my PG balance, I just ported my number out.

However, before doing so, after receiving a warning about my PG balance, I asked C.S. about it and this was their reply:

Regrettably, dealing with Tello C.S. nowadays is like shoveling sand (I'm being polite) against the tide.

I will never do business with Tello again.
    Tello told us that they wanted to get out of the paygo business over a year ago. No one should be bothering with Tello paygo now.

Other than paygo, Tello remains a good company to deal with. How things go with them being a Sprint MVNO remains to be seen. Personally, I wouldn't touch anything with Sprint until it is all sorted out with T-Mo.

Feedback Score
    I asked for my monies returned after they changed their TOS. They refunded my PayGo balances.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    Liberty Wireless (T-Mobile) UTT 07.26.21
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.11.21
    Truphone (AT&T) every 180 days by 02.06.21

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    . . .

Other than paygo, Tello remains a good company to deal with. How things go with them being a Sprint MVNO remains to be seen. Personally, I wouldn't touch anything with Sprint until it is all sorted out with T-Mo.
    I respectfully disagree.

Tello was a great company when it started and until about a year ago when its PG utter confusion expiration debacle started.

Before that, I would have recommended it to anyone looking for a small MVNO with a personal touch.

As has been stated on this thread ad nauseam, Tello's C.S.R.s give wrong information more times than not and its new expiration policy is haphazardly applied.

I attribute it to Tello's exponential growth and the inability of its owners and (apparently, inexperienced) managers to handle it properly. Perhaps in four or five years (if it hasn't been taken over by another MVNO or carrier), Tello will no longer be disorganized. Who knows.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast