Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Official Tello Mobile thread

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mo832 View Post
    ...the ST website was out and the CSR told me they didn't know when or IF they would get any more. All they sold was the refill cards for service.
    The ST site let me put a ZTE Z723EL & $15 plan in the Shopping Cart, starting here:
    https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...me-phone-z723c

Ignore the CDMA shown in the unit's specifications -- the "L" suffix indicates LTE. Reviews of the ZTE, especially when combined with América Móvil's Customer...uhh...Service, have been mixed. Some owners stated that they had to dial 1 + 10-digit phone number to get out-of-area calls to complete.

I've been thinking about the AT&T version, to be used on Good2Go's $15 + tax plan (subtract $5 if auto-paid), for persons who don't need texts or data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockchuck View Post
    The ST site let me put a ZTE Z723EL & $15 plan in the Shopping Cart, starting here:
    https://shop.straighttalk.com/shop/e...me-phone-z723c

Ignore the CDMA shown in the unit's specifications -- the "L" suffix indicates LTE. Reviews of the ZTE, especially when combined with América Móvil's Customer...uhh...Service, have been mixed. Some owners stated that they had to dial 1 + 10-digit phone number to get out-of-area calls to complete.
    I have one. I can say for certain that it does VoLTE. I get HD call indication when I call my Verizon VoLTE cellphone. The FCC docs for it show that it is LTE only, no CDMA.

After living in an area with overlay area codes I got in the habit of dialing 10 digits for all calls. I never have to dial 1 though.

I've been thinking about the AT&T version, to be used on Good2Go's $15 + tax plan (subtract $5 if auto-paid), for persons who don't need texts or data.
    Unless they have updated it, the AT&T unit is 3G and will only work for a year or so more. There is not text or data on these cellular ATAs.

Feedback Score
    A friend has this, but it is several years old. I actually tried to buy one before I found the Connect 2 but they were completely sold out at Walmart and the ST website was out and the CSR told me they didn't know when or IF they would get any more. All they sold was the refill cards for service.
    Do you know if these are still available or is there a substitute?
    There was a period about nine months ago when they were out of stock for a while. Straight Talk shows them available today.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    There was a period about nine months ago when they were out of stock for a while. Straight Talk shows them available today.
    During this time, these were very hard to find, but technically available on ebay and some closeout sites, and the prices were astronomical. Almost as if they were going to be discontinued altogether. Even then, you had to dig deep to even find a trace of them on the ST website. It seems they didn't really want to offer this type of device and wanted to make it as tough and unattractive as possible.

Feedback Score
    I have one. I can say for certain that it does VoLTE. I get HD call indication when I call my Verizon VoLTE cellphone. The FCC docs for it show that it is LTE only, no CDMA.

After living in an area with overlay area codes I got in the habit of dialing 10 digits for all calls. I never have to dial 1 though.

Unless they have updated it, the AT&T unit is 3G and will only work for a year or so more. There is not text or data on these cellular ATAs.
    On the ZTE unit, some reviews say the dial tone is some weird "high pitch" sound and the call ringing tone is a bunch of beeps, not like the standard telco sounds. Can you comment on this?
    ---------

Re: the AT&T base- does anyone know if there is a later version available that will take GSM sim and can work after 3g is shut down? As noted before, the companies that offered this device never really promoted it and keep it quiet even today.

Feedback Score
    On the ZTE unit, some reviews say the dial tone is some weird "high pitch" sound and the call ringing tone is a bunch of beeps, not like the standard telco sounds. Can you comment on this?...
    That's the other model, I forget the name. I have the ZTE unit and the dial tone, Touch Tones, ringing tone are normal.

One thing that is annoying is you only have a short time to "dial" the number. You don't have to be fast, but pausing too long between digits will time out.

Feedback Score
    During this time, these were very hard to find, but technically available on ebay and some closeout sites, and the prices were astronomical. Almost as if they were going to be discontinued altogether. Even then, you had to dig deep to even find a trace of them on the ST website. It seems they didn't really want to offer this type of device and wanted to make it as tough and unattractive as possible.
    Yeah, I looked on eBay, etc. when they were out of stock. IIRC, fleaBay sellers were trying to gouge $280 for them. I did not need one that bad. I got a reconditioned one from the ST website for $20. I just checked the ST website. They have reconditioned ones for $20 right now. They may not in an hour or tomorrow. The one I got seemed new - no evidence of any use.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Here's the latest announcement from Tello's FB Page:
    "Crescendo Claps for …(🥁 drum roll&#129345 improved coverage at Tello!
    📅 Starting 2021, Tello will invite customers to migrate to our new GSM network. End goal: more accessible service, faster speed, better coverage for even more people!
    How do we get there⁉️
    📲 Exhibit A: The new GSM network is actively improving every day. This is a process and a promise that will continue to come through during 2021. Pinky promise!
    We are committed to full transparency in the migration process, and we want to ensure that each and every customer benefits.
    📲 Exhibit B: You’ll be able to compare your current coverage with the New GSM coverage directly on our website. The tool will go live in the next week or so.
    Checking your new coverage is an essential step before you enroll your own compatible device or buy a new one.
    Wait for our prompt in via email (sorry, there’s a terrible shortage of owls) and follow further instructions from there."

https://www.facebook.com/tellomobile
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I looked on eBay, etc. when they were out of stock. IIRC, fleaBay sellers were trying to gouge $280 for them. I did not need one that bad.
    PM has been sent.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    During this time, these were very hard to find, but technically available on ebay and some closeout sites, and the prices were astronomical.
    Sales of ZTE & Huawei into the U.S. were halted because of violations of international embargoes and over fear of possible security leaks posed by their smartphones. Scalpers raised prices on even used units far beyond fair market.

BTW, the Consumer Cellular (AT&T network) version is the WF723CC. If buying a Consumer Cellular branded device, be certain that it's unlocked, or at least unlockable by a third-party vendor.
    Last edited by Rockchuck; 11-18-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockchuck View Post

BTW, the Consumer Cellular (AT&T) version is the [CC]WF723[EL]. If buying a Consumer Cellular branded device, be certain that it's unlocked, or at least unlockable by a third-party vendor.
    Do you know any of the following? :

Is the CC version also made by zte?
    Is it also updated to support 4g/lte service so no near-term phase out?
    Does it have a sim card, and if unlockable, could it also be used on a tmobile provider? (say tello after conversion )

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

ZTE WF723CC for Consumer Cellular

From a device label, the correct model number is WF723CC.

Yes, all of the xx723xx line is manufactured by ZTE, and yes, all current LTE devices use SIM cards (can't say which size, but all cards now issued seem to be 3-in-1).

Information is hard to locate, but a comparable device sold in Canada uses LTE bands:
    B2.....(1900 MHz)............T-Mobile: Yes
    B4.....(1700/2100 MHz)....T-Mobile: Yes
    B5.....(850 MHz)..............T-Mobile: Yes
    B12...(700 MHz)..............T-Mobile: Yes
    B13...(700 MHz)..............T-Mobile: No

Missing is T-Mobile's 600 MHz B71, but it's not universally deployed yet. As long as the device is unlocked, it should be usable and reasonably future-proof on T-Mobile.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    One thing that is annoying is you only have a short time to "dial" the number. You don't have to be fast, but pausing too long between digits will time out.
    My instruction to users: If you hear the "Your call can't be completed as dialed" intercept, continue dialing and hang up. Get a new dial tone and press Redial.

Feedback Score
    Thinking about starting an $8.00 a month Tello UT&T line just to see if it gets grandfathered into T-Mobiles network. Can't imagine Tello's prices staying the same on the T-Mobile network.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Thinking about starting an $8.00 a month Tello UT&T line just to see if it gets grandfathered into T-Mobiles network. Can't imagine Tello's prices staying the same on the T-Mobile network.
    According to Tello, their plans and pricing will not change during their migration to T-Mobile.

"No, we’re not making any changes to your plan cost or value. Tello’s current plan pricing and options will remain unchanged through the transition process."
    https://blog.tello.com/news/tello-an...sprint-merger/

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast