Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Official Tello Mobile thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockchuck View Post
    From a device label, the correct model number is WF723CC.

Yes, all of the xx723xx line is manufactured by ZTE, and yes, all current LTE devices use SIM cards (can't say which size, but all cards now issued seem to be 3-in-1).

Information is hard to locate, but a comparable device sold in Canada uses LTE bands:
    B2.....(1900 MHz)............T-Mobile: Yes
    B4.....(1700/2100 MHz)....T-Mobile: Yes
    B5.....(850 MHz)..............T-Mobile: Yes
    B12...(700 MHz)..............T-Mobile: Yes
    B13...(700 MHz)..............T-Mobile: No

Missing is T-Mobile's 600 MHz B71, but it's not universally deployed yet. As long as the device is unlocked, it should be usable and reasonably future-proof on T-Mobile.
    Very good to know. Now- does anyone know how easy/hard it is to get one of these unlocked for Tmo and what does the carrier require before they unlock and/or would a 3rd party service be able to do it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishx65 View Post
    Thinking about starting an $8.00 a month Tello UT&T line just to see if it gets grandfathered into T-Mobiles network. Can't imagine Tello's prices staying the same on the T-Mobile network.
    Pro tip: A birdie whispered in my ear once that it is actually *cheaper* to take the $9 t/t/500mb plan after taxes and fees. I know it sounds crazy, but it's true. Has to do with the crazy tax policies in most states, and the legacy phone tariffs carried over from the monopoly days.

Device(s)
    ZTE, Asus
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Textnow, FP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tello Mobile View Post
    Welcome to the Tello thread!

We're happy to join HowardForums and we look forward to everyone's questions/curiosities/feedback.

If you're not familiar with Tello, we are a US MVNO and we offer prepaid phone plans at highly competitive prices. Our monthly plans are customisable: you use our Build Your Own Plan tool to choose the number of minutes and the amount of data you need in your plan. Nothing else gets added to the price of the plan (except the inevitable taxes), there is no activation fee or any other type of fee. So what you see is what you get. There's also no contract and you can change your plan any time you want, even mid-month. When you change it, your new plan gets charged immediately, the billing date resets and your initial balance rolls over for another 30 days.

We recently cut our plan prices, here's what our pricing looks like now:

Since Sprint has merged with T-mobile, will Tello move to T-mobile GSM system soon ?
    Any official answer ?
    If it uses GSM, it will be far far better.
    Android only

Device(s)
    iPhone SE (2016), Chromebook
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buhin View Post
    Since Sprint has merged with T-mobile, will Tello move to T-mobile GSM system soon ?
    Any official answer ?
    If it uses GSM, it will be far far better.
    A little late to the game there eh?

Tello is currently working on starting its transition to T-Mobile's Network.
    Phase one will soon open up (keep an eye on their FB page) so that all new customers will be given Tello branded (T-Mobile) SIMs and devices, and will use T-Mobile's network.
    Phase two so far looks to begin in early 2021, which is when existing customers will be sent free Tello (T-Mobile) SIMs and migrated over to the new network, which will be required since Sprint's CDMA network is slated for full shut down towards the end of 2021. (This will be granted the existing customers already have a compatible device. Those with devices not compatible with T-Mobile will more than likely be urged to upgrade their devices.)

https://blog.tello.com/news/tello-an...sprint-merger/
    https://www.facebook.com/tellomobile
    Drako Swiftclaw

Webmaster for Drako's Website Services
    Review Team Member for Drako's Wireless Review
    Independent Tech for DTech Seattle

Device(s)
    ZTE, Asus
    Carrier(s)
    Mint, Textnow, FP
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    A little late to the game there eh?

Tello is currently working on starting its transition to T-Mobile's Network.
    Phase one will soon open up (keep an eye on their FB page) so that all new customers will be given Tello branded (T-Mobile) SIMs and devices, and will use T-Mobile's network.
    Phase two so far looks to begin in early 2021, which is when existing customers will be sent free Tello (T-Mobile) SIMs and migrated over to the new network, which will be required since Sprint's CDMA network is slated for full shut down towards the end of 2021. (This will be granted the existing customers already have a compatible device. Those with devices not compatible with T-Mobile will more than likely be urged to upgrade their devices.)

https://blog.tello.com/news/tello-an...sprint-merger/
    https://www.facebook.com/tellomobile
    Thanks.
    So it means I can join Tello if I have a GSM unlocked phone soon, right ?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks.
    So, I'm watching their FB page like a hawk, since they mentioned making changes to their site as early as this coming week at the very least to add a tool to compare coverage from old Sprint Network to the new T-Mobile Network.

I'm thinking this change may also start to include offering new devices and Tello branded SIMs for T-Mobile's network.
    However, I'm waiting for the e-Mail/posts to confirm this. They did say it will become available before the end of the year and phase one is going to be for new customers mainly.

Carrier(s)
    Page Plus, Tello, T-Mobile, TRU SIM, Liberty Wrls.
    Feedback Score
    Thanks.
    No. T-Mobile has stated that it will turn down (shut off) its GSM-2G service at the end of Dec. 2020. Only LTE-4G & 5G will continue.

You'll need a Voice over LTE (VoLTE) capable phone that's compatible with T-Mobile's frequencies -- in other words, a 2018 or later T-Mobile branded or a "factory unlocked" device. Using a recent T-Mo branded phone also will get you Wi-Fi Calling, which is useful if you lack a good T-Mo signal at home or at work. Log the phone in to W-Fi as a substitute. (Wi-Fi calls & texts debit from your monthly allowances, just as over-the-air calls & texts do.)

Feedback Score
    Thanks.
    I do understand that 'GSM' and 'CDMA' is technically becoming a 'phantom' description, since both types of networks are heading towards only using LTE for calling.

But, to use the common terminology, yes, if you have an unlocked 'GSM' phone, you should be able to activate it soon on Tello, as long as it supports T-Mobile bands & T-Mobile VoLTE. (Not all 'GSM' phones do.)

Enter your IMEI on this test page to see if it supports T-Mobile requirements:
    https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone

I'm certain Tello will shortly have a similar test page, but it doesn't seem available yet. In the meantime, the T-Mobile test should tell you what you need to know.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greenhandle View Post
    I do understand that 'GSM' and 'CDMA' is technically becoming a 'phantom' description, since both types of networks are heading towards only using LTE for calling.

But, to use the common terminology, yes, if you have an unlocked 'GSM' phone, you should be able to activate it soon on Tello, as long as it supports T-Mobile bands & T-Mobile VoLTE. (Not all 'GSM' phones do.)

Enter your IMEI on this test page to see if it supports T-Mobile requirements:
    https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone

I'm certain Tello will shortly have a similar test page, but it doesn't seem available yet. In the meantime, the T-Mobile test should tell you what you need to know.
    According to Tello, they plan on having the tools up within the next week or so to compare coverage and perhaps even if the device will be compatible with Tellos new network.

Feedback Score

What phones can join Tello?

Hi there,

Once the migration to GSM is final, you will be able to join our network if you have a GSM VoLTE compatible device. You will be able test the compatibility of your device on our site, still the page is still work in progress for now.

Until then, here are a few other questions you may ask yourself about the transition to GSM: https://blog.tello.com/news/tello-an...giants-merger/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It’s been over two months since Tello announced switching to gsm. Something an MVNO should be able to complete in less than a month. Still no updates or progress on that front and rumors of sim limbo problems. All the while, the sprint network is getting more and more unreliable, to the point of being unusable. I’m about to give up all hope this transition will ever happen, especially now that even their phone selection is dwindling down.

Sent from my Tello iPhone using HoFo

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockchuck View Post
    Sales of ZTE & Huawei into the U.S. were halted because of violations of international embargoes and over fear of possible security leaks posed by their smartphones. Scalpers raised prices on even used units far beyond fair market.

BTW, the Consumer Cellular (AT&T network) version is the WF723CC. If buying a Consumer Cellular branded device, be certain that it's unlocked, or at least unlockable by a third-party vendor.
    ZTE was banned from getting US imports, which after a settlement, was lifted.

As of right now ZTE (USA) is allowed to sell devices in the US, but can not have any devices sold to Federal Agencies.
    Though ZTE can not provide any network equipment to carriers and any companies using ZTE devices/equipment can not receive federal funding.

ZTE USA is still selling phones for:
    ATT
    Cricket
    Metro
    Straight Talk
    Verizon
    Visible

So far, all devices seem to be listed on carrier sites for prepaid.
    And even some unlocked devices being sold and activated by other MVNO's and Lifeline Providers (Hello Mobile / QLink).

Feedback Score
    At my house, Sprint tower is closer and much more usable than nearest native T-Mobile tower. I’m hoping T-Mobile doesn’t shut down the Sprint location or I may have to leave Tello at end of 2021.
    Everyone’s case is different.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tello, US Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bxd20 View Post
    At my house, Sprint tower is closer and much more usable than nearest native T-Mobile tower. I’m hoping T-Mobile doesn’t shut down the Sprint location or I may have to leave Tello at end of 2021.
    Everyone’s case is different.
    Some towers, namely where it will improve coverage, will be retained and used by T-Mobile. They may already have added their equipment if your speed test shows T-Mobile instead of sprint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac32here View Post
    Some towers, namely where it will improve coverage, will be retained and used by T-Mobile. They may already have added their equipment if your speed test shows T-Mobile instead of sprint.

I’m always on WiFi at home so I don’t know previous results.

Speedtest shows :

LTE - Sprint
    Server - T-Mobile Elgin, IL

Results were terrible.
    1.8 Mbps down
    0.2 Mbps up
    Ping 59ms
    Jitter 7.3ms

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast