Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pixel 2 XL or other Android on Xfinity Mobile?

Feedback Score

Pixel 2 XL or other Android on Xfinity Mobile?

Has anyone used a Pixel 2 XL (or any Android phone you already owned) on Xfinity Mobile?

Since my P2XL works fine on Verizon, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work on Xfinity Mobile on the Verizon network. I know Xfinity says it won't work, but I'm looking for actual experience trying an Xfinity SIM in an Android phone not purchased from them.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    The phone will work. What may or may not is Visual Voicemail and VoLTE.

Feedback Score
    is Android BYOD working now? Or how would you be getting the XF SIM?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregoryd View Post
    The phone will work. What may or may not is Visual Voicemail and VoLTE.
    I also think it would work, but have you actually done it? It is possible that Xfinity would check the IMEI and block the phone if it's not one they want to allow.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by collinong View Post
    is Android BYOD working now? Or how would you be getting the XF SIM?
    I'm considering getting a new phone from Xfinity Mobile, moving that SIM to my Pixel 2 XL, and selling the new phone. They're offering a $250 gift card rebate which makes the resale possible without loss.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwboulder View Post
    I'm considering getting a new phone from Xfinity Mobile, moving that SIM to my Pixel 2 XL, and selling the new phone. They're offering a $250 gift card rebate which makes the resale possible without loss.
    I would say that it would be simpler to just get a hold of a place holder XM compatible iPhone with a clear MEID and go into the XM store and have them activate it on your account, then swap the SIM into the Pixel.
    This certainly worked to activate one of the X Charges that was on my account over to my Moms XM account, we ported into the iPhone and then swapped the SIM over to the X Charge. We did have to call XM and have them enable voice mail, for one reason or another (iPhone?) it was not initially enabled on XMs end, so you might encounter that as well.

===================>

I posted my experience swapping the SIM from my X-Charge over to my Nexus 5X on one of the XM threads, long story short, everything works, including HD calling and VVM.
    The correct MEID also shows on the account page, but the OLAM does not show the device particulars as it did with the X Charge.

Note: for whatever reason when I searched the Playstore for the XM VM app it was no where to be found, so I downloaded the latest APK file for the app I could find on line and loaded it that way. I was afraid that I would have to do this for each update, but when the latest update for the app came around I was then able to update through the playstore and all has been good since.

As always, YMMV.
    Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks, months now a year+ TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers, especially BYOP.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwboulder View Post
    I also think it would work, but have you actually done it? It is possible that Xfinity would check the IMEI and block the phone if it's not one they want to allow.
    Yes, I have used my Pixel 2 on XM. The line was activated with the X Charge, an Android phone.

Device(s)
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gregoryd View Post
    Yes, I have used my Pixel 2 on XM. The line was activated with the X Charge, an Android phone.
    Since the time of you writing this its been a bit over 30 days are you still able to use the pixel 2 on their XM service? still getting VoLTE and other services?

I ask because I am about to switch to XM and can't stand Iphone's so I was planning on purchasing either the S8 or S9, but if I can get the cheaper X charge and swap sim to my unlocked oneplus phone that might be better. Or would it have to be a verizon specific phone do you think?

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Black69Camaro View Post
    Since the time of you writing this its been a bit over 30 days are you still able to use the pixel 2 on their XM service? still getting VoLTE and other services?

I ask because I am about to switch to XM and can't stand Iphone's so I was planning on purchasing either the S8 or S9, but if I can get the cheaper X charge and swap sim to my unlocked oneplus phone that might be better. Or would it have to be a verizon specific phone do you think?
    I don't think a OnePlus phone will work on Verizon and therefore won't work on XM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    AirVoice
    Feedback Score
    Dream on folks, BYOD Xfinity as this time, May 2018, is still iPhones only. They may offer to sell you a few non-iPhones but you will have to buy it from them. As usual, is not a technical thing, it's a business decision, take it or leave it. MintSim BYOD only deals with Androids and not iPhones, so everybody have their own quirk, pick your poison.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmithepa View Post
    Dream on folks, BYOD Xfinity as this time, May 2018, is still iPhones only. They may offer to sell you a few non-iPhones but you will have to buy it from them. As usual, is not a technical thing, it's a business decision, take it or leave it. MintSim BYOD only deals with Androids and not iPhones, so everybody have their own quirk, pick your poison.
    Mint works with byod iPhones. I believe recently they started supporting a carrier package.

Feedback Score
    I've switched from Verizon to Xfinity Mobile with my Pixel 2 XL. I bought an unlocked iPhone 6 on Amazon and used that phone to switch my number to XFM. Once the switch was done, I moved the XFM SIM to my Pixel and returned the iPhone. Works perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmithepa View Post
    Pretty ludicrous business decision if they truly want to grow their service, especially since it is not a "technical thing".

Giving way to the argument that XM customer support does not have the capacity or know how to deal with an influx of Android devices and their compatibility with the VZW network, thus drowning them in activation issues keeping them from performing their basic C/S duties...
    Well, if that is the case, then I am hoping this ludicrous anti-Android policy is due to an XM decision to hold off until the VZW network changes coming 6-30 barring 3G devices and come the first of the year only allowing VoLTE/HD devices on the network, which would significantly reduce the supposed untenable work load C/S would have dealing with Android BYOD.
    The problem with my thoughts above would be that XM could simply implement an Android VoLTE/HD device only policy now, which would reduce the available devices and the claim XM C/S could not deal with the influx of Android devices.

So to come full circle, XM is basically telling Android users to kiss their

Device(s)
    Google LG Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    I don't think a OnePlus phone will work on Verizon and therefore won't work on XM.
    I was afraid of that, I ended up going with the S8, cheaper then the S9 plus been out long enough to have some root options, even if not great.

Feedback Score
    Do the xfinity hotspots work with a Pixel? I'd very much like to switch to a Pixel, just trying to figure out what I'd all lose. I'm guessing not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast