Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Wifi calling on BYOP seems to work?

Feedback Score
    the entire background is white. numbers and 'cricket' are black. the diagonal slash of the 'k' in cricket is green.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    I have an unlocked iPhone 7 that I bought directly from Apple and WiFi calling works with my Cricket UL2 plan. I don’t really use it much because the call quality is subpar in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stringand2cans View Post
    the entire background is white. numbers and 'cricket' are black. the diagonal slash of the 'k' in cricket is green.
    thanks, I think that's what mine looks like. Top left has 3 diagonal stripe of green blue yellow and back side is all green. Front side matches your description.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8 Plus, iPad (5th Gen)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wpc View Post
    thanks, I think that's what mine looks like. Top left has 3 diagonal stripe of green blue yellow and back side is all green. Front side matches your description.
    The one with the blue stripe is the old one. When it comes to white vs. white/green, most people are talking about the punched out portion that goes into your phone, not the full-sized card. This post should help: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5#post16848325

For what it's worth, any recent (6 or later) iPhone should work with those features on Cricket and the argument of where you got it is a lazy one that some reps seem to be pushing. There's nothing special about Cricket-sold ones, and I've been able to get those features working on AT&T-locked iPhones with little effort.

If you have one of the green/white ones and are getting nowhere with Cricket, I'd at least try a new SIM (Target, Best Buy, etc.) - besides the all-green envelope for the newer SIMs, a smaller box has been popping up at some stores and that has the new SIM, too. Its about the same width/height as an iPhone 6/7/8 Plus. I was having a heck of a time getting my brought-back-to-Cricket line working with those features and that fixed it right away. It's a YMMV, so at worst, you'll be out $10.

Feedback Score
    Last night, family and I took a four hour car ride. We drove past a major city and, for the first time, I noticed my iPhone picked up LTE signal.
    When we got home, I saw “cricket WiFi” show up and it does appear I’m now able to use wifi calling.
    It’s possible something else changed, but i think by having lte make it’s initial handshake is what completed the set up.

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by stringand2cans View Post
    Last night, family and I took a four hour car ride. We drove past a major city and, for the first time, I noticed my iPhone picked up LTE signal.
    When we got home, I saw “cricket WiFi” show up and it does appear I’m now able to use wifi calling.
    It’s possible something else changed, but i think by having lte make it’s initial handshake is what completed the set up.

Thanks for everyone’s help!
    Interesting - thanks for sharing! Having been on AT&T for both a personal account and a business account during the VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling roll out, I saw some ways things were provisioned and set up and when it would fall on its face (we had an iPhone 6 line provisioned as "Smartphone LTE," which broke hotspot and VoLTE - once fixed, all the services worked as expected (I think it was "iPhone VoLTE" for the designation). I'd assume Cricket works similarly, but much of their setup is very opaque and it seems that some items are automatic and can't be overridden.

While I've been happy with the service, getting some of the new features when they roll out can be a little frustrating, so I'm glad whatever happened was able to make it work for you. I'm guessing you're normally in a non-LTE area?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    The one with the blue stripe is the old one. When it comes to white vs. white/green, most people are talking about the punched out portion that goes into your phone, not the full-sized card. This post should help: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5#post16848325

For what it's worth, any recent (6 or later) iPhone should work with those features on Cricket and the argument of where you got it is a lazy one that some reps seem to be pushing. There's nothing special about Cricket-sold ones, and I've been able to get those features working on AT&T-locked iPhones with little effort.

If you have one of the green/white ones and are getting nowhere with Cricket, I'd at least try a new SIM (Target, Best Buy, etc.) - besides the all-green envelope for the newer SIMs, a smaller box has been popping up at some stores and that has the new SIM, too. Its about the same width/height as an iPhone 6/7/8 Plus. I was having a heck of a time getting my brought-back-to-Cricket line working with those features and that fixed it right away. It's a YMMV, so at worst, you'll be out $10.
    thank you. totally wasted my time and swapped an old sim in with an old sim. I had some new in packaging cricket SIM cards and I thought they were the new style but I guess not. Oh well these are all going in the trash.

Feedback Score
    Reporting back to help others.
    Got the white sim card for my S9. Can confirm wifi calling works perfectly.

I'll say everyone needs the new sim card to get the most out of their service.
    Galaxy S9

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by medmansri View Post
    Reporting back to help others.
    Got the white sim card for my S9. Can confirm wifi calling works perfectly.

I'll say everyone needs the new sim card to get the most out of their service.
    The whole process is really weird and opaque—when I ported my number back on the same device (iPhone 8 Plus, purchased from Apple) with a green/white SIM I had lying around (and had a green/white SIM earlier), I figured that there would be no reason things would be different. After a chat rep opened a ticket, I got a phone call about the issue from their tech support department (and I guess someone in "engineering" was clued in, too?) I was actually surprised and pleased that someone was trying to help (instead of the usual "we didn't sell you this iPhone so...too bad" that you hear on these forums). While they were checking, I picked up a new SIM to give it a try and that fixed it. Later that evening, they called me back to follow-up. The lady I spoke with noticed that I had two lines with "old" SIMs and everything working, which meant that I should be able to use one with all the features (in theory), but she had seen it in the past and often a swap has appeared to work for some of these issues. She was very apologetic that I had to buy a new SIM, but thanked me for being understanding and trying to tech it myself.

Needless to say, the previous SIM I used was one that I got for 99˘ from Best Buy to get cheap refill cards, so I'm out $11 to come back...I can't complain at all.

Amazon also did a flash sale for these at $2.99 yesterday - you might want to keep an eye if that happens again - it's the all-white SIM and sold in the new box packaging, like the one I picked up at Target: https://www.amazon.com/Cricket-BYOD-...p_ob_title_wld

Feedback Score
    Got it for $1.98 on ebay

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Yes, it works on all my Motorola phones. Just tried it on my 1 week old Moto G6 Play & Wi-Fi can be switched on while in airplane mode. Just made a Wi-Fi call & it goes right through.
    This is still the magic I was looking forward to. However, my S9 won't have any of that nonsense.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Would the Sim swap trick work on s8+? Or is just for models cricket sells

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    So i heard from cricket reps that cricket wireless will allow HD voice to all BYOD or unlocked devices in November 2018 but the information is not yet public and eventually they will announce it on their website So I hope this is TRUE!! if at&t will activate 5G next year I think they will start allowing BYOD phones to have HD voice because it is necessary for 5G and LTE to have all IP connections.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7