Thread: Is Verizon Playing Games?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Is Verizon Playing Games?

We live in a rural area and use to be a Verizon cellular subscriber/customer. We have a 70dB Wilson 4G LTE Amplifier/Repeater system in our home that used to give us three bars consistently if we stood in the pathway of one of our inside repeater antennas. After many years of paying Verizon $140 a month for 2 lines and only 1.5 GB of data, we switched to one of those tower leasing companies called, Total Wireless (TW, susidary of Tracfone). We got the same exact performance and coverage, plus 8 GB of data to share for half the price. The main drawback is they only lease Verizon towers and have no roaming coverage to other off-network providers. This drawback did not affect our routine usage or needs.

About 6-8 months after we made the switch to TW, we began experiencing much weaker signals in our home. So now when we stand in the direct path of one of our inside repeater antennas, we only get one bar showing on the cell phone strength indicator. Then when I select a number to dial and press the send/talk button, the signal strength immediately jumps up to four or maybe five bars and then I'll get a message that says, "You are roaming...", which originates from the American Roaming Network (ARN). If I walk to another part of the room where I've got a slightly stronger signal like maybe two bars, and then make a call, the signal doesn't jump up and the call connects and starts ringing. Also, I am unable to turn off call roaming on my Galaxy Note 4 (except I can turn off data roaming, but that is no help).

I'm not sure but I think the roaming signal that causes the 4-5 bar jump may be coming from a U.S. Cellular tower, or possibly something that might be referred to as Verizon Extended Service (only available to Verizon customers; this is only a guess of mine based on some recent info I have come across). I have been to multiple websites that supposedly help you map nearby cell towers but none are very accurate or updated; towers I know exist don't even show on those mapping systems. The frustrating part of all this is that I usually have to hunt around for a while in my house trying to find a spot to make the call so that it doesn't give me the "roaming" message; it's just inconvenient and irritating.

Now here is the part that may seem a little pessimistic... In the past 6 months, Verizon has started sending me a couple of emails a week begging me to come back for $140 a month (4 lines; unlimited data) as if they know I am frustrated because perhaps they are behind all this recent change in signal strength at my rural location? I do know they can re-aim or reposition the antennae blades manually at cell towers, and also electronically to give better coverage in a specific area. But I would really like to find out who the roaming service is that is providing the 4-5 bar signal; is it Verizon Extended Service or is it another CDMA carrier? I just don't know how to go about identifying the cell tower, its location, or the provider. I have been using a mobile Ap called, "Coverage" Cell and WiFi Network Signal Test. When I get the 4-5 bar jump after placing a call, I have noticed in that Ap, it shows the cell tower changing from CDMA: 546-17-2227 (typically 1 bar) to CDMA: 1423-1-25826 (4-5 bars). I have no idea what these designators mean and Google provides no help when I try to track these down. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    I had some Verizon mobile lines in the past and they spam me every few months to come back - so I think it's just coincidence

Feedback Score
    That would be an awful lot of work to get one customer back.
    Many things affect cell signal including environmentally. It sounds like you know more about the peculiarities of your situation than I can fathom, but generally speaking, it's probably more a coincidence that you've had these connection issues and Verizon is now hard selling you. Again, that would be a lot of work to land one customer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dwellmeier2 View Post
    That would be an awful lot of work to get one customer back.
    Many things affect cell signal including environmentally. It sounds like you know more about the peculiarities of your situation than I can fathom, but generally speaking, it's probably more a coincidence that you've had these connection issues and Verizon is now hard selling you. Again, that would be a lot of work to land one customer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    For one customer, I think you are right but that is not what triggers these activities IMHO. VZW has been the big gorilla on the block for a lot of years and has refused to offer competitive pricing until many of their customers started dropping them and switching to one of the tower leasing services like Tracfone, StraightTalk, etc. This really hit VZW where it hurts, and they finally dropped their pricing somewhat, but still not competitive with the leasing companies. So my guess is the more likely scenario (if I'm not being too pessimistic) would be that a number of people in my area left VZW and switched to one of the cheaper services. VZW quite possibly re-aimed their cell tower antennas to achieve the lowest possible number of dropped calls for THEIR remaining customers, and the rest of us who switched for lower pricing became SOL with scant coverage. I don't see this as an unlikely scenario, but rather VZW playing a little dirty like they always have relentlessly with bloatware smartphones that have to be rooted to remove all the useless junk, delayed releases on the newest models compared to Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T, and pricing well above everybody else. No, I think it is typical VZW behavior.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Maybe the band support of the Wilson device isn't equipped for some change that may have occurred with the VZW service that you previously had no trouble with. Or maybe your phone devices don't have some needed frequency band that VZW has changed to (assuming the Wilson device is passing that through). Or similarly you might have been receiving voice service over the 1x part of the network and now at that particular tower VZW has ended that and expects you to be working the VoLTE part of the network for voice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ETPhHm View Post
    VZW has been the big gorilla on the block for a lot of years and has refused to offer competitive pricing until many of their customers started dropping them and switching to one of the tower leasing services like Tracfone, StraightTalk, etc. This really hit VZW where it hurts, and they finally dropped their pricing somewhat, but still not competitive with the leasing companies.
    Verizon Prepaid prices are not that much these days. Two lines with 3GB data is presently $70. Don't know where you came up with $140.

Maybe your Wilson repeater is getting weak. What signal do you get outside the house? Signal apps should show which carrier the phone is using at that time. Try SignalCheck Lite or Network Signal Info. SignalCheck Lite also shows the 1xRTT voice signal.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Verizon Prepaid prices are not that much these days. Two lines with 3GB data is presently $70. Don't know where you came up with $140.

Maybe your Wilson repeater is getting weak. What signal do you get outside the house? Signal apps should show which carrier the phone is using at that time. Try SignalCheck Lite or Network Signal Info. SignalCheck Lite also shows the 1xRTT voice signal.
    I think the OP was referring to Verizon Postpaid.

SignalCheck Lite or LTE Discovery may tell you who's tower you're connected to. I know SignalCheck told me when I was connected to Bluegrass Cellular previously when I was on a trip.

You could consider switching from Total Wireless to Page Plus. PPC has roaming for $0.20 per minute on their monthly plans and $0.29 per minute on their standard PAYG plan.