Thread: Straight Talk iphone Tether Help

Feedback Score

Straight Talk iphone Tether Help

I have unlocked 8+ currently on VZW prepaid. Speeds are horrible, less than 1mbps. Suspect it is the throttling of prepaid vs postpaid.

While Phone is unlocked, I cannot activate it on any VZW MVNO but ST (failed IMEI checks, was bought full price at VZW store, my mistake!). I had planned to go with Boom, but they won't activate it!

Does anyone know if ST allows tethering on non-unlimited plans (e.g. 10GB plan)?

Does anyone know if ST will be throttled to the same degree as VZW prepaid.

Thank you

Feedback Score
    There is not supposed to be any LTE throttling on Vzw Prepaid, so you might need to look into the root of the slow speeds.

As far as I know, you won't be able to tether using a Vzw MVNO with an iPhone.

ST Vzw should give you the same LTE speeds as Vzw Prepaid, which like I said, shouldn't be throttled.

Feedback Score
    Thank you....maybe i am confusing throttled with deprioritized. Is ST deprioritized after VZW prepaid?

Does ST allow tether?

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    I agree with Boz - find someone with a Verizon postpaid account and compare speeds in the same location at the same time. If they differ get tech support to figure out what is causing it.

The activation issue you’re running into is not a block on the device, rather it’s just that the device is already active on Verizon. If you put your Verizon prepaid SIM into a different Verizon device and use it for a short time then you IMEI should free up and be eligible to activate. You’d get the same result with any device currently active on the network, regardless of whether on an MVNO or Verizon itself. ST apparently does include currently active as eligible in their reports (the actual categories are free to activate, ineligible, and currently active).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennettg View Post
    I have unlocked 8+ currently on VZW prepaid. Speeds are horrible, less than 1mbps. Suspect it is the throttling of prepaid vs postpaid....
    I have Verizon service with Tracfone. Some months ago they stopped throttling to 5 Mbps and I got above that. However, frequently I get sub 1 Mbps, including in town a block away from the Verizon central office with cell antennas on top.

I personally think Verizon is oversubscribed and congested around here.

It is very hard to prove throttling and deprioritization. You will probably get the same speed on any other Verizon MVNO or maybe even [Edit] postpaid.

I will try to get a buddy who has Vz postpaid to compare speeds at the same time and place.
    Last edited by bobdevnul; 03-26-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennettg View Post
    I have unlocked 8+ currently on VZW prepaid. Speeds are horrible, less than 1mbps. Suspect it is the throttling of prepaid vs postpaid.

While Phone is unlocked, I cannot activate it on any VZW MVNO but ST (failed IMEI checks, was bought full price at VZW store, my mistake!). I had planned to go with Boom, but they won't activate it!

Does anyone know if ST allows tethering on non-unlimited plans (e.g. 10GB plan)?

Does anyone know if ST will be throttled to the same degree as VZW prepaid.

Thank you
    straight talk doesn't officially allow tethering. but if you get your phone activated on straight talk and
    tethering works then good for you. if tethering doesn't work then you can try apps like foxfi or PDAnet
    or root your phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    straight talk doesn't officially allow tethering. but if you get your phone activated on straight talk and
    tethering works then good for you. if tethering doesn't work then you can try apps like foxfi or PDAnet
    or root your phone.
    How can those apps be used on an iPhone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    How can those apps be used on an iPhone?
    i think pdanet still works for iphone 3G connection - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmXmAsR0Zx0

Feedback Score
    Bennettg, did you try high technology's suggestion? Or even find someone else using Vzw Prepaid to see if they are experiencing the same.

Or do you happen to have another Vzw phone that you could swap your current SIM into, just to rule out some unique issue with your phone?

Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    I agree with Boz - find someone with a Verizon postpaid account and compare speeds in the same location at the same time. If they differ get tech support to figure out what is causing it.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Bennettg, did you try high technology's suggestion? Or even find someone else using Vzw Prepaid to see if they are experiencing the same.

Or do you happen to have another Vzw phone that you could swap your current SIM into, just to rule out some unique issue with your phone?
    There are lots of complaints in the Verizon Prepaid subforum of extremely low speeds related to deprioritization. It's dependent on location and congestion. It seems to have gotten worse with new plans on prepaid and unlimited plans on postpaid.

It would be interesting to see if anyone has compared TW or another Verizon MVNO to Verizon Prepaid and Verizon Postpaid in an area experiencing slowdowns.

I compared Verizon Prepaid to Red Pocket/Verizon last month and both phones got similar good speeds. The phone on Verizon was connected to band 4 and the phone on Red Pocket was connected to band 13. I'm not sure why that was the case.

I haven't experienced any slow speeds or congestion in my area.

Feedback Score
    I'm sure you're probably right about different areas. My area includes farmland and smaller metro areas, and I have not noticed any data congestion or slowdowns using the Vzw, AT&T, or T-Mo networks. I've had no experience with Sprint, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is also pretty good in my area.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    If speeds get that slow, it’s likely congestion more than deprioritzaton. I live in suburb of NYC and unfortunately work in Manhattan, taking a bus from northern NJ. When I get within 2 miles of the Lincoln Tunnel during morning rush hours, every carrier except Sprint slows to a crawl. The last time I did a sped test I pulled 0.02Mbps on Verizon post-paid, 0.8 Mbps on T-Mobile and about 4.7Mbps on Sprint. There are multiple dedicated bus lanes into NYC that converge in this area and then it’s single-file bumper-to-bumper buses for those last 2 miles.

At home in the evening, I get 50+ Mbps from Verizon and T-Mobile and 15+ on Sprint. I haven’t checked AT&T at home as all I have is Freedompop which is very limited data.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    ...It would be interesting to see if anyone has compared TW or another Verizon MVNO to Verizon Prepaid and Verizon Postpaid in an area experiencing slowdowns....
    I use Verizon with Tracfone. I'm getting poor data speed at times and places, like 0.5 Mbps in town near the Verizon central office with cell antennas on top at 9 pm. This is in the car or outside so it isn't a building penetration problem.

I'm waiting until a buddy with Vz postpaid returns from vacation to do a side-by-side test.

I'm pretty sure that this isn't a Vz Prepaid or TW problem. It's just Verizon being congested for everyone in some places at some times.