Thread: Is refubished ST iPhone SE most likely locked to ST?

Feedback Score

Is refubished ST iPhone SE most likely locked to ST?

I've been using a BYOD unlocked Verizon iPhone 5s on Tracfone for 2.5 years. I want to buy a ST refurbished iPhone SE for $99 to use with the SIM from my 5s, but have a few questions:

1. Do you think a ST refurbished iPhone is already locked to ST because it was probably turned on with the ST sim in it? (i.e., do I need to buy a brand new SE and make sure it first turns on with my 5s TF SIM?)

2. Will my old TF SIM from the 5s even work in a new SE? I read something about the older SIMs not working because they say "Verizon" as the carrier, and it needs to say "TFW"? Do I need to buy a new TF SIM kit and swap my account to it first?

3. Once I get an SE, is my 5s IMEI still locked to TF? Will Tracfone unlock it from their system so it could be used with any carrier again? (ST, Net10, etc..)

Thanks for any thoughts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C/dog View Post
    I've been using a BYOD unlocked Verizon iPhone 5s on Tracfone for 2.5 years. I want to buy a ST refurbished iPhone SE for $99 to use with the SIM from my 5s, but have a few questions:

1. Do you think a ST refurbished iPhone is already locked to ST because it was probably turned on with the ST sim in it? (i.e., do I need to buy a brand new SE and make sure it first turns on with my 5s TF SIM?)

2. Will my old TF SIM from the 5s even work in a new SE? I read something about the older SIMs not working because they say "Verizon" as the carrier, and it needs to say "TFW"? Do I need to buy a new TF SIM kit and swap my account to it first?

3. Once I get an SE, is my 5s IMEI still locked to TF? Will Tracfone unlock it from their system so it could be used with any carrier again? (ST, Net10, etc..)

Thanks for any thoughts.
    I don't know where that "don't turn phone on with factory sim" got started, but the iPhone se TracFone/straight talk/total wireless are CDMA anyway, also the call letters are determined by the network in my experience, when I use a Tracfone sim on a Tracfone plan it says "home" but when I use a Tracfone sim in at&t gophone plan it says "at&t".

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score

Thanks for any thoughts.
    When you say "locked to ST", I don't think there's such thing, locked to TracFone brands, yes. Just like they've always been, meaning it would probably work on Total wireless and TracFone / net10 by sim swapping. The SE is pretty versatile in general. Why not buy the total wireless iPhone se, same price and you'll know it's for sure Verizon.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I recently bought the refurbished straight talk SE from Walmart. It came with a verizon simcard already installed. I never turned on the phone but removed the sim and installed an already activated Tracfone ATT simcard. Turned on the phone, logged into my Apple account and all is good. My son did the exact same thing with a new straight talk SE that came with a verizon sim but he swapped in an already activated tracfone ATT simcard.

I can't really speak to using a verizon sim but You should be able to just sim swap your existing sim from the 5S. If it doesnt work then you could just activate the sim that comes with the phone and transfer your number, days, mins, txt, data from the 5S. As long as the sim card starts with 891480 you've got a verizon sim.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tip. I may have misunderstood but I thought I've seen posts in Howard Forums where an iPhone IMEI becomes locked to the first specific Tracfone brand which is activated. So if it's Straight Talk, then it can't be switched to Tracfone and vice-versa. Did it used to be like this and changed? or was it never like this?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weiden1 View Post
    I recently bought the refurbished straight talk SE from Walmart.
    Thanks. Good to know the Straight talk SE from Walmart came with a Verizon SIM and worked fine for you. I'm not sure what sharp99 means by "Why not buy the total wireless iPhone se, same price and you'll know it's for sure Verizon."...Seems like the ST from Walmart is the same.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Good to know the Straight talk SE from Walmart came with a Verizon SIM and worked fine for you. I'm not sure what sharp99 means by "Why not buy the total wireless iPhone se, same price and you'll know it's for sure Verizon."...Seems like the ST from Walmart is the same.
    Total wireless is Verizon only . That's why. You were asking about TracFone Verizon.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    In theory, your iPhone 5s should still be unlocked, if it was unlocked before you activated on TracFone. You should confirm that before transferring service and if it's not, get it unlocked by TF.

The ST or TW iPhone SE come with Verizon SIMs and are activated on Verizon as the underlying carrier. The ST iPhones from Walmart used to be and may still be branded to both ST and TW.

You should do a transfer of TracFpne service from your current iPhone 5s to the new (refurbished) iPhone SE rather than doing a SIM swap. Doing it as a transfer gives you two advantages - the iPhone SE will be eligible to be unlocked after one year and you should get VoLTE service on the SE with Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    In theory, your iPhone 5s should still be unlocked, if it was unlocked before you activated on TracFone. You should confirm that before transferring service and if it's not, get it unlocked by TF.
    Thanks, bw01. The 5s is unlocked to the normal world (the world outside of TF Wireless), but won't it be "Slim locked" to TF itself? For example, I have a Verizon unlocked iPhone 4s last used on TF in 2015. When I go to activate it today on ST or TW, I get the message "Unfortunately, your device will not work with our Bring-Your-Own-Device Program." It will still pass TF activation, though.

When I attempt to unlock the 4s at Tracfone, they say "We apologize. Your device is not eligible for our Unlocking program. (because it's BYOP)"

I'm not concerned about the 4s (sitting in a drawer) but if someone hypothetically wanted to use my 5s on ST or TW, would that be impossible now? Or can it be set free by taking the 5s TF SIM and activating it with another junk verizon phone?

Anyway...this is what caused me to wonder if a refurbished TW or ST iPhone will be similarly stuck if it's already been activated for a month.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, bw01. The 5s is unlocked to the normal world (the world outside of TF Wireless), but won't it be "Slim locked" to TF itself? For example, I have a Verizon unlocked iPhone 4s last used on TF in 2015. When I go to activate it today on ST or TW, I get the message "Unfortunately, your device will not work with our Bring-Your-Own-Device Program." It will still pass TF activation, though.

When I attempt to unlock the 4s at Tracfone, they say "We apologize. Your device is not eligible for our Unlocking program. (because it's BYOP)"

I'm not concerned about the 4s (sitting in a drawer) but if someone hypothetically wanted to use my 5s on ST or TW, would that be impossible now? Or can it be set free by taking the 5s TF SIM and activating it with another junk verizon phone?

Anyway...this is what caused me to wonder if a refurbished TW or ST iPhone will be similarly stuck if it's already been activated for a month.
    Once you've transferred your service from the iPhone 5s to the iPhone SE (with its SIM), check your iPhone 5s again on TW and ST. If you get the same error, contact TF CS to have the iPhone 5s IMEI removed from their system. If they can't or won't, file an FCC complaint.

Feedback Score
    The 5s is unlocked to the normal world (the world outside of TF Wireless), but won't it be "Slim locked" to TF itself?
    You might try removing the 5s from the account after transferring off it's service, but that may not free the IMEI. Problem is there is no wording in any document I have seen concerning unlocking in BYOP situations. The terms used in the published written policy are "TracFone branded handset" and "TracFone phone". Nothing new about there being unwritten policy they can change at will.