Thread: Transfer from TMFL Phone to "New" TMFL Phone

Feedback Score

Transfer from TMFL Phone to "New" TMFL Phone

I've been reading many threads, but they quickly dive into more complex questions than mine. My wife and I have only basic phone needs and she's happy with her Moto E (CDMA) which has TMFL-triple minutes for life. But the 4GB memory really is limiting so I'd like to "upgrade" her. There are several LG Rebel 8GB phones listed on ebay as TMFL phones, so I assume they're old stock from before the elimination of TMFL.

If I buy one of the LG Rebels, add it to my account and activate it, then transfer minutes from the Moto E will TMFL still apply for new minutes on the new phone? Or would activation of the new phone essentially end the TMFL?

Thanks....

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrawolf View Post
    There are several LG Rebel 8GB phones listed on ebay as TMFL phones, so I assume they're old stock from before the elimination of TMFL.

If I buy one of the LG Rebels, add it to my account and activate it, then transfer minutes from the Moto E will TMFL still apply for new minutes on the new phone? Or would activation of the new phone essentially end the TMFL?
    TMFL is tied to the phone and is not transferrable. If the new phone comes with TMFL, it will stay TMFL, whether your old phone has TMFL or not. If the new phone does NOT come will TMFL, it will remain non-TMFL even if your old phone has TMFL.

By the way, transfer service from your existing phone to the Rebel at activation as ONE TRANSACTION. If you activate the Rebel first, then all the units on it will be wiped out when you transfer over from your Moto E.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    By the way, transfer service from your existing phone to the Rebel at activation as ONE TRANSACTION. If you activate the Rebel first, then all the units on it will be wiped out when you transfer over from your Moto E.
    Thank you. I've seen recommendations to open a chat window with Tracfone support to do the transfer/activate, rather than relying on the online transfer. That's what I'll do unless it's no longer considered the safest route.

Feedback Score
    Thank you. I've seen recommendations to open a chat window with Tracfone support to do the transfer/activate, rather than relying on the online transfer. That's what I'll do unless it's no longer considered the safest route.
    Depends on how much service you might loose in a transfer if it fouls up. In chat on a computer you ask for your balances along with the transfer conversation, which can be cut and pasted from the chat window to be saved. You can ask for a transcript of the session, but that is often unreliable.

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Red Pocket (ATT)
    Feedback Score
    Couldn't you just move the sim card to a new phone? With byop, the sim card is what has TMFL. I moved my sim from an LG Premier to an LG G4 without having to do anything the account.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Willow16 View Post
    Couldn't you just move the sim card to a new phone? With byop, the sim card is what has TMFL. I moved my sim from an LG Premier to an LG G4 without having to do anything the account.
    The present phone is a 3G CDMA model that has no SIM card to swap. The older model phones the OP is considering have TMFL.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Depends on how much service you might loose in a transfer if it fouls up. In chat on a computer you ask for your balances along with the transfer conversation, which can be cut and pasted from the chat window to be saved. You can ask for a transcript of the session, but that is often unreliable.
    You're right that getting the transcript is unreliable, but copy and paste doesn't give you the chat transcript reference number. Although, based on reports, that may not matter if TF can't look up a chat based on that reference number.

I ask for service confirmation on chat and get the transcript sent and keep doing it until I receive it. I then do the transfer online, which has been more reliable the last few times.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bw01 View Post
    I ask for service confirmation on chat and get the transcript sent and keep doing it until I receive it. I then do the transfer online, which has been more reliable the last few times.
    So you use the chat only to confirm minutes, service end date, etc., then do the transfer online? I actually would prefer that as you never know if the service tech in the chat session will goof something up. The new phone will be brand new in "old" packaging that still shows the TMFL feature, no minutes, never before activated, so I only need to make sure the service level and phone number get transferred from the old phone. It sounds like retaining TMFL *should* be automatic.

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    So you use the chat only to confirm minutes, service end date, etc., then do the transfer online? I actually would prefer that as you never know if the service tech in the chat session will goof something up.
    If the chat tech messes up the transfer, he/she "owns" the problem and has to resolve it for you. Anyway, at the end of the chat session always ask for a ticket number. That way, if you have to contact TF later, the next rep can use the ticket number to look up the chat transcript.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    So you use the chat only to confirm minutes, service end date, etc., then do the transfer online?
    Yes, that's what I've done the past few times.

Device(s)
    LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (Verizon), Red Pocket (ATT)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    The present phone is a 3G CDMA model that has no SIM card to swap. The older model phones the OP is considering have TMFL.
    Okay, got it

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Yes, that's what I've done the past few times.
    If you have already invested the time to access chat, why not just follow through with the transfer/activation? They always ask me if I want to continue with the transfer and if it does go sideways, you have them right there to fix it.

Note: to anyone attempting a activation/transfer or the like, don't leave the chat until your device is working and you see all the units/days on your account!

Unlike many TF Inc. Subs in recent weeks, months now a year+ TF Inc. not showing much love to their TF service customers, especially BYOP.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    If you have already invested the time to access chat, why not just follow through with the transfer/activation? They always ask me if I want to continue with the transfer and if it does go sideways, you have them right there to fix it.

Note: to anyone attempting a activation/transfer or the like, don't leave the chat until your device is working and you see all the units/days on your account!

I just prefer to get the chat transcript to have my record and then use the online activation to do the transfer. I can enter the info online faster than dealing with chat.

Just last week, though, I had to use chat to do a new activation with port because the online activation screen failed (click submit and nothing happens). Which happened back in November also. Anyway, if I wanted to wait on chat until the units/days showed up, I'd have been waiting for 2 days. This is with a port from Page Plus to TF/Verizon, which should be nearly instantaneous. And all 3 I've done have been that way.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. This forum is great for all the knowledge and help you folks provide. The phone switch went seamlessly. I now have a new question about roaming, but posted that as a separate new thread.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE, LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b, ZTE 222
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I just prefer to get the chat transcript to have my record and then use the online activation to do the transfer. I can enter the info online faster than dealing with chat.
    The question then is how much time do you have to spend if it does happen to go sideways, you then have to deal with getting those units/days restored and that can be a PITA even with a chat confirmation of days/units.
    So....... all I am really trying to convey is that it seems a bit less risky to just get it done in one fell swoop while you have them captive.

In the last 4 or 5 transfers I have never left chat without my phone working with all the units days showing on the website and it took at the most 15 minutes each time. This both transferring CDMA to CDMA and CDMA to GSM (AT&T) and GSM (AT&T) to CDMA. During the chat I did have to power on and off several times, make a call, text and test data and they patiently waited through this process.

The real issue is that we should not even have to go to the trouble to confirm our current days/units to begin with and that we should not have to cross our fingers that a transfer does not go sideways following either process.

Just last week, though, I had to use chat to do a new activation with port because the online activation screen failed (click submit and nothing happens). Which happened back in November also. Anyway, if I wanted to wait on chat until the units/days showed up, I'd have been waiting for 2 days. This is with a port from Page Plus to TF/Verizon, which should be nearly instantaneous. And all 3 I've done have been that way.
    I know that in my experience using PP, they have never been all that port friendly.

Porting in from a different service provider and activating is also a different animal to that of a transfer or double transfer when harvesting a bundled device.

You would think that with TF owning PP that it would be more akin to a transfer than an actual port, but it seems all their subs are independent of each other and also using different underlying platforms, I guess this is also why you get varying results when checking a currently or previously activated IMEI's through the different TF subs.