Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Public safety users will have higher priority than postpaid users starting 3/29/2018

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Public safety users will have higher priority than postpaid users starting 3/29/2018

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/ve...y-private-core

"The public safety core separates data traffic of public safety mobile users from commercial users across Verizon’s 4G LTE network. Public safety users will have their data immediately recognized as public safety with priority access at the tower and through the network."

Great, now the postpaid users have to compete with public safety mobile users on the same network. I wonder if/how the throttling and deprioritization will affect them.
    Last edited by WiredGuy; 03-27-2018 at 11:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post

"The public safety core separates data traffic of public safety mobile users from commercial users across Verizon’s 4G LTE network. Public safety users will have their data immediately recognized as public safety with priority access at the tower and through the network."

Great, now the postpaid users have to compete with public safety mobile users on the same network. I wonder if/how the throttling and deprioritization will affect them.
    I doubt you will feel an impact save for the biggest emergency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post

This is exactly why I wish Verizon would not only accept they didn't get FristNet, but make AT&T own that and suffer with it. But they're doing the exact opposite. They're getting none of the benefits, with all of the pain.

Why not? It's just the paying customers that suffer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    IPhone Xr
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint, AT&T Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    This is exactly why I wish Verizon would not only accept they didn't get FristNet, but make AT&T own that and suffer with it. But they're doing the exact opposite. They're getting none of the benefits, with all of the pain.

Why not? It's just the paying customers that suffer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Yeah screw the people in need cause it's all about you streaming youtube in a hurricane.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Feedback Score

Public safety users will have higher priority than postpaid users starting 3/29/2018

Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    Yeah screw the people in need cause it's all about you streaming youtube in a hurricane.
    Lol . But hey! What if I’m streaming YouTube to leaned how to build a raft out of coat hangers and cardboard because the water is almost to the roof and I’m running out of time in the attic??

Edit: on a serious note in many cases LTE may be streaming local news updates to residents when all other options are destroyed or unreliable...it’s important that it stay up and useable. In 2011 my local town was inundated with flood water and many people lost all utilities. Ironically one of Verizon’s major cell sites had its utility rooms destroyed by flood waters casing the whole site to go down. This over loaded the next site over which caused all data service to fail on that site for days. Calls were also unreliable. Since then they rebuilt the site what was flood with a new utility shed 10 feet off the ground, raised the tower by 50 feet and recently built another cell site more inland from the river.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think it makes sense to give public safety users priority.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    I am not assuming that everyone with a FirstNet SIM will be working 24/7. Plenty of time for YouTube for the boys in blue. AT&T has a dedicated band for dealing with whatever nonsense SIM holders decide to pull. As you know, Verizon doesn't. I also find the case for first responders needing data to helping people in a disaster to be dubious at best.

Feedback Score
    I am not assuming that everyone with a FirstNet SIM will be working 24/7. Plenty of time for YouTube for the boys in blue. AT&T has a dedicated band for dealing with whatever nonsense SIM holders decide to pull. As you know, Verizon doesn't. I also find the case for first responders needing data to helping people in a disaster to be dubious at best.
    Many first responders get updated on their phone about emergency response events and use different apps to view them ect ect. Also live streaming video of an emergency event could be very valuable.

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    Many first responders get updated on their phone about emergency response events and use different apps to view them ect ect. Also live streaming video of an emergency event could be very valuable.

You guys have a lot of faith in this system. I hope that I can one day gain that trust. Right now, I just see this as a tier above grandfathered unlimited data to make the network even more depleted in crowded areas.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    First responders are a small percentage of the total network users and would have a minimal impact on the network. Would you rather view your Youtube videos than let the Paramedics, police or firefighters assist in disasters or rescues in an emergency ?? Really ??

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    First responders are a small percentage of the total network users and would have a minimal impact on the network. Would you rather view your Youtube videos than let the Paramedics, police or firefighters assist in disasters or rescues in an emergency ?? Really ??
    Again, let's try to not insert something I didn't say. If that's truly the use case, then fine. But it's just a SIM card...or worse. In the case of Verizon, your PD/FD/whatever signs up everyone in a government account and they all get preemption. It's not like those SIM cards/devices are only going to get used when we need video of the rising water.

But tell you what, I'd be fine with preemption...for data that is used on a recognized first responder app going through the FirstNet core bridge. It won't be like that, though.

Device(s)
    Verizon Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Again, let's try to not insert something I didn't say. If that's truly the use case, then fine. But it's just a SIM card...or worse. In the case of Verizon, your PD/FD/whatever signs up everyone in a government account and they all get preemption. It's not like those SIM cards/devices are only going to get used when we need video of the rising water.

But tell you what, I'd be fine with preemption...for data that is used on a recognized first responder app going through the FirstNet core bridge. It won't be like that, though.
    Exactly. They all will have their traffic prioritized regardless of whether it's for an emergency or not. I'm all for giving them higher priority whenever the need arises.

Feedback Score
    I get the point, but I also get that it can be abused.

Verizon is pretty strict in business when it comes to data, so I wonder how this will play out.

Also, you guys haven't seen the amount downtime these public safety personnel have... even in NYC. Perhaps it should be a toggle on the smartphone they have when they need priority access on the network. It's a similar concept to the police, fire and ambulance sirens.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    My theory is that this won't be an issue at all and not even noticed on a daily basis. Maybe during a huge emergency but they forecast responders only using less than 1%

I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's a plus for when the consumer can use band 14 with an updated phone like the s9. Not sure when where and how band 14 comes into consumer use of things but to me the whole thing is a positive. If it saves lives or just makes responders jobs easier (and more reachable) I'll be happy

If that means me watching a few less cat videos on YouTube that's fine with me

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast