Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Public safety users will have higher priority than postpaid users starting 3/29/2018

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    My theory is that this won't be an issue at all and not even noticed on a daily basis. Maybe during a huge emergency but they forecast responders only using less than 1%

I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's a plus for when the consumer can use band 14 with an updated phone like the s9. Not sure when where and how band 14 comes into consumer use of things but to me the whole thing is a positive. If it saves lives or just makes responders jobs easier (and more reachable) I'll be happy

If that means me watching a few less cat videos on YouTube that's fine with me
    This is about Verizon. There is no band 14 in the discussion here.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Oops didn't realize

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by weskeene View Post
    This is exactly why I wish Verizon would not only accept they didn't get FristNet, but make AT&T own that and suffer with it. But they're doing the exact opposite. They're getting none of the benefits, with all of the pain.

Why not? It's just the paying customers that suffer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Was Verizon ever interested in FirstNet? It seems ATT and Rivada were the 2 biggest contenders. The only reason AT&T had interest was that it gave them a reason to expand their rural network. Verizon has vastly more rural coverage, they can connect first responders places where AT&T doesn't have a single site. Basically a giant backdoor handout to ATT. After all the fallout from ATT/NSA (Room 641A) spying, we handed our public safety back to them again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    I don't have any issues with this, how could this possibly affect your life in any meaningful way? Let them have first dibs, it could be YOUR life they save. Priorities people, priorities.
    I've seen personnel abuse the work phone privileges for a while up until a few years ago. I knew people who would used their work phone (AT&T) overseas & racked up insane roaming charges, all on the city's dime. Carriers have cracked down since.

I know Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data to big businesses & my company tells it's employees to use data for work rather than play as often as possible. The jetpacks are also limited in data, so overages are still there. As long as it's for business use, my company will pay the bill. If you are constantly over, however, there can be repercussions.

Hopefully this issue won't arise in NYC and surrounding areas, as city employees use AT&T for work. The largest utility uses Verizon on the work phones, with Verizon (primary) and AT&T (secondary) for M2M equipment all over the city. I would assume their work phones would get priority access in some divisions since they're directly connected to the safety of the public.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Moto G7 Power, Nexus 5X
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Just to clarify something. This isn't about Joe the Fireman showing his ID at the Verizon store and getting a higher priority service than other people. This is about public safety agencies being able to make calls and get access to information during an emergency. It's nothing new. The Wireless Priority Service has been around for some time, this just extends that service to data.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    SM-G965U1
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themanhimself View Post
    Oops didn't realize
    No problem. Easy mistake to make.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    Many first responders get updated on their phone about emergency response events and use different apps to view them ect ect. Also live streaming video of an emergency event could be very valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have to agree with last sentence. When Hermine came through Tallahassee, last year, I didn't have electricity for hours (I was one of the lucky ones) and I was able to access the livestream of a local station... That was valuable

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max / Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / AT&T MX / Movistar MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    Great, now the postpaid users have to compete with public safety mobile users on the same network. I wonder if/how the throttling and deprioritization will affect them.
    I doubt that you'll have to worry about first responders on the same network as big emergencies requiring significant network resources are few and far between. The existing LMR network can handle everyday, routine incidents and its not likely, first responders require LTE/5G for responding to day to day calls.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malibu31 View Post
    I know Verizon doesn't offer unlimited data to big businesses & my company tells it's employees to use data for work rather than play as often as possible. The jetpacks are also limited in data, so overages are still there. As long as it's for business use, my company will pay the bill. If you are constantly over, however, there can be repercussions.
    Your company probably should use an MDM solution to manage data use by employees.
    My company does, on company issued devices and BYOD and we get rid of the streaming apps like Hulu and Netflix on the former. If employees go over the data threshold we throttle them and takeaway apps. For BYOD, the employee is still responsible for paying their own bill however we don't care how much data they use but we still need to manage their device.

I get tons of complaints from certain employees about "disappearing apps".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by i0wnj00 View Post
    Your company probably should use an MDM solution to manage data use by employees.
    My company does, on company issued devices and BYOD and we get rid of the streaming apps like Hulu and Netflix on the former. If employees go over the data threshold we throttle them and takeaway apps.
    I’m pretty sure his company could get unlimited...I know our local hospital does...they have at least over a hundred lines with the amount of people working there. Now cost...that’s another issue.

Feedback Score
    So we get to keep paying Verizon with our taxes and government employees get to see monkeys washing cats before us. Neat trick.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcGreenGenes View Post
    So we get to keep paying Verizon with our taxes and government employees get to see monkeys washing cats before us. Neat trick.
    In most days/times/places This will prob make little impact. You’ll still get to see your videos of monkeys washing cats .

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Well, if they are doing that when you have a bunch of injured people, or already have dead people strewn about then that's probably not the job for you and probably should get fired...

I don't know where you are from, but some first responders (usually firefighters and EMTs) aren't government employees.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    A very untrue and uneducated view of government workers.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score

First off, a lot of the first responders where I live are either volunteers like the firefighters are here, or private employees like the ambulance drivers and EMT's are here. I think someone is vastly ignorant of the purpose of FirstNet or Verizon's public safety program. When you're in an emergency, I don't think you would care much whether the first responders are employed by the government or business, or are doing it out of the kindness of their own hearts.

FirstNet was something that both political parties supported, for what it's worth. Also, the government investment into AT&T through FirstNet will make them more competitive with Verizon in rural areas. That sounds like a win-win to me. Add in the reserve spectrum that T-Mobile won in the 600 MHz auction, rural customers will be getting better service, lower prices, and more competition.
    Last edited by veriztd; 03-29-2018 at 06:10 AM.
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast