Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Should I contact customer service before porting?

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    I saw that. So in a sense it made things easier for you. A few years ago when I decided to switch carriers I had to arrange to unlock my existing phone first. Luckily it was already paid off, so it wasn't too difficult.

I've seen many posts through the years of people who wanted to port to another carrier due to cost, or coverage. But they were on some type of family plan, and they could find it difficult to come up with a couple thousand dollars to pay off their existing phones first.
    My wife was on the verge of needing a phone as well. Her 6 was pretty slow, slow wifi, bad battery, other frequent random issues. Like you said urban just kind of made sense. Oh yeah, at her university other colleagues could use their phones inside the building that AT&T. My wife had to go to certain parts of the building to make it work. All of the little inconveniences added up, and we were ready to switch.

So, after my first day with AT&T I’m going through a little buyer’s remorse. My phone is working in places that T-Mobile didn’t, but where T-Mobile did work it was a little better. I posted in another thread that I was getting 60mbps down at a spot, and instagram was still having trouble loading.
    I went to Target, and although my new 8 plus Qualcomm did okay I thought it would have done a little better with internet. I’m comparing it to when I tested my mom’s IPhone 6 on AT&T about a month ago, and hers loaded internet related things better than my 8 plus (by a little).

Calls do seem to have less distortion (not as many breakups). I just don’t know if the $60 more per month with AT&T is worth it. I still want to test some more of course.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Should I contact customer service before porting?

Target is mentioned a lot in these posts. Good for them.

Device(s)
    v3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mm18 View Post
    Target is mentioned a lot in these posts. Good for them.
    Haha it’s within walking distance from me. They had a good promo on the iPhones this week, and we end up going there a couple of times a week at least. I like to test my phone out there because I know my Intel T-Mobile struggled there (no service inside most of the store).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mm18 View Post
    Interesting. Never read that before. How come iphones don't have good reception with tmobile ?
    Read up on the Intel radio chip vs the Qualcomm radio chip.

The Intel radio chip in your iPhone 7 sucks. ALL of your problems are Apple's fault in this case.

You would have found that out had you been a little more patient. Maybe ask other T-Mobile users who have different phones.

The same Intel radio chip is in your iPhone 8. And here's a little bombshell:

https://bgr.com/2017/06/09/iphone-8-...ntel-qualcomm/

Good job, Apple.

Everyone thinks it must always be the network provider's fault and responsibility, because that's what you've been programmed to think. But the devices themselves are an integral part of the entire system, and the devices absolutely can vary. They're not all cookie cutter identical things.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 64 GB Silver
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Unlimited
    Feedback Score

Should I contact customer service before porting?

Coverage on LTE only devices (Intel iPhone 8/X)
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...7&share_type=t

Those that use the 8 and the X on Verizon are not having any major issues. That’s with LTE only, mind you.

Also, to say the 8 and X have “the same chip” is not correct. The Intel 8 and X have the XMM 7480. The 7 has the XMM 7360.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have you read the forum rules lately?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    I am very close to leaving T-Mobile (really leaning towards AT&T) mainly due to weak building penetration. I just can't good signal inside most buildings. It's frustrating when I look around and everyone else is able to use theirs. I thought after a year things would have gotten better. Well, they may have gotten a hair better, but not enough to make me want to stay. What's the point of claiming "fastest speeds" and for customers to have "unlimited data" if the signal can't work inside most buildings (south Dallas by the way, not some tiny town in the middle of nowhere). I truly miss being able to use my phone everywhere (was with AT&T for years and had no issues).

I still owe $270 on my phone. Would there be any issues involved porting over since my phone's not paid off? I hear they just send you a final bill.

Also, should I contact them before porting?

thanks
    Yes, you will get the bill for the amount you owe. I think for porting you will need your previous carrier's account number, PIN information. I would double check and make sure with the carrier your are switching to.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, RP
    Feedback Score
    The big downside with ATT is customer service. If you don't have a stock current simple plan it can be time consuming to get things fixed. Like the $20 add-on iPad unlimited plan for a single line unlimited phone plan.

I had left ATT a couple years ago in preparation for an international vacation. At the time T-Mobile had the best deals. Coverage wasn't good enough, so I switched over to Verizon. Then ATT matched Verizon's offer, but it was too late

But Verizon, though overall good, degraded in my workspace. ATT, even when showing 1 bar, is has better download speeds than Verizon. T-Mobile is better in my building than Verizon.

I think I'm set again. Prepaid would probably be cheaper (but without unlimited), but I don't want to touch things.

At least signing up for the trial of DirecTV now seems to have resolved the other big issue of calling ATT. Their CS being pressured to pressure every caller to signup for DirecTV.
    iPhone 11 is my current primary phone. I have older model iPhones and Moto phones available on other lines. Currently prepaid, though would consider postpaid on right plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
    I'm thinking of just trading my old phone into Best Buy or Target so I don't have to wait the 4 weeks. Target quoted me a low price, so I may go with BB. If that's too low I may ask AT&T and just wait. Thanks

They still do the switcher offer (pay off your old phone balance) if that's what you're referring to. thanks
    Not relevant to op anymore i don't think as he's already switched but according to reddit switcher credit does end today 3/31

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't know if this matters to anyone but Apple phones have one of the highest radiation levels because they have ro work extra hard to reach the cell signal because of where Apple positions the antenna. So all you Apple fan boys and girls can research that....look up SAR levels.

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't know if this matters to anyone but Apple phones have one of the highest radiation levels because they have ro work extra hard to reach the cell signal because of where Apple positions the antenna. So all you Apple fan boys and girls can research that....look up SAR levels.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S10+, S9+, Motorola E5 Spra
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    if you have issues with tmobile coverage try to see the coverage map if good, turn on wifi-calling if available, check APN, Turn device off for few minutes to refresh tower connection. if none works yea switch carriers. Base on my experienced in northern california AT&T now is as good as Tmobile if not even better because at&t towers are spread apart far.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3