Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: New CDMA Tracfone - Roaming Indicator On

Feedback Score

New CDMA Tracfone - Roaming Indicator On

I just transferred service to a new LG Rebel Tracfone and there's a triangle in the notification area showing that roaming is active. Android also shows "Roaming Indicator On" on the lock screen. This is a CDMA phone and should be using Verizon. The SIM number starts with 891480 and the model number LGL44VL ends in VL, which appear to confirm Verizon. I have Data Roaming turned off in settings, and Mobile Data is also off. So I don't understand where the roaming is coming from. I have two other CDMA Tracfones that never indicated they were roaming in this area (near Canton, Ohio). Verizon signal strength is generally two bars here. I believe Sprint would be the only other CDMA network in this area.

Also, in settings under About Phone - Network - Service State, it says "not roaming".

Could this roaming indicator be an aberration from Verizon? Is there a way to tell if the phone is in-fact roaming? Do I care if the phone thinks it's roaming?

Thanks in advance to anyone with some knowledge....

Device(s)
    LG Q6, Moto E5, LG G6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon, FreeUp
    Feedback Score
    That's interesting, because supposedly a smartphone using Tracfone service does not roam. If there's no native Verizon tower in an area, you just flat don't have cell service.

There are some apps that can tell which tower the phone is using but I don't know much about them. Perhaps someone else will chime in.

A long time ago, TF deducts 2x airtime when a phone is roaming, but it hasn't been that way for at least 10 years. As long as your phone is working and the units being deducted match your actual usage, I wouldn't worry about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That's interesting, because supposedly a smartphone using Tracfone service does not roam.
    That's what my research turned up as well, causing me to think that the indicator might be an aberration generated by Verizon and not Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrawolf View Post
    That's what my research turned up as well, causing me to think that the indicator might be an aberration generated by Verizon and not Tracfone.
    did you try restarting the phone to see if the roaming indicator shows back up ??
    can you make / receive calls with the roaming indicator on ??
    it may be a fluke in the software, see if there's any software updates for your phone.

Feedback Score
    did you try restarting the phone to see if the roaming indicator shows back up ?? - Yes, indicator comes back.
    can you make / receive calls with the roaming indicator on ?? - Yes, no problem with calls.
    it may be a fluke in the software, see if there's any software updates for your phone. - Checked, no updates available from LG.

Is there a such thing as updating a PRL (preferred roaming list) on a Tracfone?

Feedback Score
    ...Is there a such thing as updating a PRL (preferred roaming list) on a Tracfone?
    I don't see update on my Verizon Galaxy S4. The PRL is displayed, but I don't see any way to update it.

This is more likely to be a Verizon thing rather than Tracfone.

My Sprint phones have PRL update.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    A long time ago, TF deducts 2x airtime when a phone is roaming, but it hasn't been that way for at least 10 years. As long as your phone is working and the units being deducted match your actual usage, I wouldn't worry about it.
    A 51 second call was deducted as 1 minute, so I'm good there. It does not appear that the roaming indication is affecting my service.

Feedback Score
    There is no user PRL update method with CDMA LTE phones with any carrier.

Feedback Score
    I don't see a roaming icon in the User's Guide. Did I miss it?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tpassets.de...N_ES_Final.pdf

Can you post a screeshot which shows the icon?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    There is no user PRL update method with CDMA LTE phones with any carrier.
    If you mean on Tracfone, because Tracfone does not use Sprint as a carrier, that is true.

My CDMA LTE Sprint phones all have Update PRL and Update Profile - Galaxy S3, Mach, Viper. Of course they are not used with Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    Didn't know Sprint has that for LTE. Verizon does not have a manual option for LTE - it's automatically done.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    If you mean on Tracfone, because Tracfone does not use Sprint as a carrier, that is true.

My CDMA LTE Sprint phones all have Update PRL and Update Profile - Galaxy S3, Mach, Viper. Of course they are not used with Tracfone.

Feedback Score
    did you try restarting the phone to see if the roaming indicator shows back up ?? - Yes, indicator comes back.
    can you make / receive calls with the roaming indicator on ?? - Yes, no problem with calls.
    it may be a fluke in the software, see if there's any software updates for your phone. - Checked, no updates available from LG.

In the early stage of allowing smartphones on TF, part of the activation process for CDMA phones was dialing *22890 for activation and, sometimes *22891 to update the PRL. That hasn't been required for a long time. You could try *22890/1 but it should not be required and might even mess things up.

Feedback Score
    That because the source that propagated doing this just blindly followed the pre-4G way of doing activations. There were even some isolated CDMA LTE phones that got messed up after doing these unnecessary codes based on reports posted.

Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    In the early stage of allowing smartphones on TF, part of the activation process for CDMA phones was dialing *22890 for activation and, sometimes *22891 to update the PRL. That hasn't been required for a long time. You could try *22890/1 but it should not be required and might even mess things up.

Feedback Score
    Can you post a screeshot which shows the icon?
    Here's a poor man's screen shot of the upper half of the lock screen (pressing power and vol-down didn't work for screen grab). It's the open triangle next to the wifi strength. I'm downloading an offline map for Here Maps so that's what the 55% status is for. Also note the "Roaming Indicator On" message on the lock screen.

Name:  Roaming.jpg
Views: 2681
Size:  36.9 KB

Feedback Score
    I don't see a roaming icon in the User's Guide. Did I miss it?
    You didn't miss it. It's not shown in the manual downloaded here either: http://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGL44VL

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast