Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Now 180 consecutive days of active service to unlock device

Feedback Score

Now 180 consecutive days of active service to unlock device

Metro has changed their unlock policy from 90 days to 180 days of consecutive active service to unlock devices.

https://www.metropcs.com/terms-condi...ck-policy.html

Device(s)
    blackberry 8320 sunset
    Carrier(s)
    tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I saw that I didn’t think it was real I thought it would be an aprils fool joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Nope it's real.

Feedback Score
    Here's the part in the policy that states the change. Just in case anyone didn't feel like reading the whole thing. Name:  20180401_174723.jpeg
Views: 516
Size:  40.7 KB

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They must have increased the phone subsidies to have to increase the unlock time frame.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Miami786FL View Post
    They must have increased the phone subsidies to have to increase the unlock time frame.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using HoFo mobile app
    Not sure I'd make that leap, they could also be trying to get that 4% prepaid churn rate down and found out a lot of people were leaving after 90 days. 6 months also is in line with their main competition, cricket,so they just may be matching them.

Carrier(s)
    Metro PCS
    Feedback Score
    You would need to use a third party unlock service like https://www.cellunlocker.net/metropcs-unlock-app/ if you do not want to wait 180 days. I think they are changing the policy so people do not abuse the phone subsidy to just take the phone to another GSM wireless carrier.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Now there's no incentive for flippers to stay with Metro past the initial purchase. Whether you buy Apple or Android, with a 180 day waiting period, it's now cheaper to get iPhones unlocked via 3rd parties, just like their Android phones.

Additionally, Metro's going to lose at least 2 months at $30 (or more) per month, per line that they were getting from most iPhone purchasers waiting to hit the old 90 day unlock mark.

In reality, Metro screwed themselves. The money they'd make back on months 2 and 3 will now go to the 3rd party unlockers.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bakedapple View Post
    Now there's no incentive for flippers to stay with Metro past the initial purchase. Whether you buy Apple or Android, with a 180 day waiting period, it's now cheaper to get iPhones unlocked via 3rd parties, just like their Android phones.

Additionally, Metro's going to lose at least 2 months at $30 (or more) per month, per line that they were getting from most iPhone purchasers waiting to hit the old 90 day unlock mark.

In reality, Metro screwed themselves. The money they'd make back on months 2 and 3 will now go to the 3rd party unlockers.
    "Screwed themselves"? More like saved themselves. Metro is not interested in enabling flippers. I'm betting they don't recoup their cost of a iPhone SE with a customer only staying 3 months. I understand and respect their business decision and certainly want them to succeed to help keep the competition in check.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    "Screwed themselves"? More like saved themselves. Metro is not interested in enabling flippers. I'm betting they don't recoup their cost of a iPhone SE with a customer only staying 3 months. I understand and respect their business decision and certainly want them to succeed to help keep the competition in check.
    If someone's sole intention is to get a discounted or free device to unlock it and take it elsewhere this really isn't going to stop them, they will just pay a 3rd party unlocker now instead of staying 3 months on metro. He has a point. As far as how long it takes them to recoup cost it's impossible to tell, carriers don't pay msrp for devices on a per device basis, so without knowing their cost it's impossible to tell. Metro has done this to themselves. Without giving away devices their add numbers plummet, so they have to heavily discount and give away devices in order to keep adds high, well a side effect of that is it will encourage things like that. The one thing cricket did was they don't have to heavily discount devices in order to gain adds. Once in a while they will offer some device specials, but hardly ever offer their top mid tier devices at free and next to free, so it really doesn't encourage so called flippers. If they raised the time requirements due to flipping, it's a problem they themselves caused. If you want to eliminate the flipping problem, stop giving away devices.

Feedback Score
    This is truely a stupid move of Metro.

Their unlocking policy was one of the main reasons i ported in three years ago, yes i am flipping phones every once and a while but i have been using their services for three years with 4 lines in my account, now i am definitly moving away, they are getting gready and eroding their main features which deferentiate them from other competitors

Sent from my PH-1 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    MetroPCS / T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    MetroPCS has a lot of phone "give-aways" and that sometimes attracts people just interested in getting the phone and going elsewhere after the unlock. I don't think this decision is unreasonable at all. I think they're hoping it will encourage subscribers to stay and discourage flippers.

Sent from my Z982 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    So rather then get paid for months 2 and 3, it’s better to get paid nothing instead? Uh huh.

Carrier(s)
    TMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgentCarl View Post
    If someone's sole intention is to get a discounted or free device to unlock it and take it elsewhere this really isn't going to stop them, they will just pay a 3rd party unlocker now instead of staying 3 months on metro. He has a point. As far as how long it takes them to recoup cost it's impossible to tell, carriers don't pay msrp for devices on a per device basis, so without knowing their cost it's impossible to tell. Metro has done this to themselves. Without giving away devices their add numbers plummet, so they have to heavily discount and give away devices in order to keep adds high, well a side effect of that is it will encourage things like that. The one thing cricket did was they don't have to heavily discount devices in order to gain adds. Once in a while they will offer some device specials, but hardly ever offer their top mid tier devices at free and next to free, so it really doesn't encourage so called flippers. If they raised the time requirements due to flipping, it's a problem they themselves caused. If you want to eliminate the flipping problem, stop giving away devices.
    You possess logic and can do basic math, congrats!

Exactly, outside of the initial device procurement cost, Metro will get nothing else from flippers. There’s no incentive for them to pay another cent to Metro; those funds will now go to pay unlocking services.

Another factor to consider is that customers, whether they’re flippers or legitimate users will end up buying less phones overall from Metro. That will also hurt Metro’s bottom line, as there are incentives from phone manufacturers to move “X” amount of units (think back a few months to the Samsung J7/Amazon Prime deal - that was specifically designed to move J7s as no other Samsung phones qualified for the Amazon promo).

This move will actually end up being a plus for serious flippers, because they’ll be less competition in the marketplace, which means higher demand and higher prices, which equals higher profits for them.

Outside of those that either can’t or won’t pay for a 3rd party unlock (or don’t know about them) and end up sticking with Metro out of necessity, this decision overall hurts Metro’s bottom line.

Like you said: “...it's a problem they themselves caused. If you want to eliminate the flipping problem, stop giving away devices.”. Very true.
    Last edited by bakedapple; 04-02-2018 at 06:25 AM.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    Phones (androids) were able to be unlocked without active service after 90 days if activated with one month service charge. Wonder if this glitch will still work after 180 days.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast