Thread: Advanced Mobile Location and Emergency Location Service and Verizon Wireless

Feedback Score

Question Advanced Mobile Location and Emergency Location Service and Verizon Wireless

With Apple rolling out iOS 11.3 brings a new feature called Advanced Mobile Location, https://9to5mac.com/2018/01/25/advan...cation-iphone/ which enables emergency services operators to locate caller's locations down to the room they're in. This has been supported on "over 99% of existing Android devices (version 2.3 out and upwards)" for a few years https://www.blog.google/topics/googl...ices-find-you/.

I know that AML is likely a European thing, but I was curious if Verizon and U.S. carriers in general have something similar, and if not, when they will.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    A dumbphone is looking better and better everyday.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+, LG G6+, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If your life depended on it, I bet you'd be thankful for it. It's like some people up here in our rural area (Mendocino County, Northwestern California) will sometimes refuse to put their address out where it can be seen, but like the emergency people say, if you don't, you risk life and property if they can't find your place in time, if at all. Trust me if bad people people want to find you, they will, hiding isn't going to stop them.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    No. Our infrastructure uses Phase II E911 for emergency location and is not setup for AML whatsoever.

I believe the next move for North America is NG-911 going to an all IP system, but that’s YEARS away due to the thousands of PSAP’s scattered across the country.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, GS8 Active
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    A dumbphone is looking better and better everyday.
    Dumb phones are required by law to comply with the FCC’s Phase II E911 location requirements as well.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    If your life depended on it, I bet you'd be thankful for it. It's like some people up here in our rural area (Mendocino County, Northwestern California) will sometimes refuse to put their address out where it can be seen, but like the emergency people say, if you don't, you risk life and property if they can't find your place in time, if at all. Trust me if bad people people want to find you, they will, hiding isn't going to stop them.
    Nah. I'm good on the government knowing when I'm on the toilet.

And besides, remember that when seconds count the police are just minutes away.

Those who give up privacy for security deserve neither.

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S9+, LG G6+, Samsung Chromebook Plus, Samsung Gear S3 Frontier(VZ LTE)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Nah. I'm good on the government knowing when I'm on the toilet.

And besides, remember that when seconds count the police are just minutes away.

Those who give up privacy for security deserve neither.
    I guess I deserve neither, I'm sorry, come and take everything I have, including my toilet. Oh, and if you have a heart attack, I'll make sure and tell them you don't exist.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Advanced Mobile Location and Emergency Location Service and Verizon Wireless

I myself choose not to worship government. You can do as you please, that's the beauty of America. And you don't even have to give up your toilet!

I'd rather die a free man of a heart attack than survive it and have to live in 1984.