Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Jacksonville, FL

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score

Jacksonville, FL

Anyone have recent experience with the drive from Atlanta to Jacksonville!?

Just wanting to know what to expect for a trip I'm planning!? I have the coverage map pulled up and the route (I-75 to I-10) seems to be covered fair(ly) according to T-Mobile maps.

I know south GA can be rough, but how is coverage in the Jacksonville area overall!?

I have iPhone 7. Thanks!
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Feedback Score
    I just relocated from Florida to the Nashville, TN area. I lived in Gainesville for most of my life (about an hour southwest of Jacksonville) and frequented the Jacksonville area. For the past few years I lived in Orlando but visited the area occasionally to see friends and family. Speeds in the Jacksonville area seemed to be more consistently fast compared to other metros. As far as the drive from ATL to JAX, you should be covered. I don't ever remember losing an LTE signal on my iPhone 8, even in south Georgia.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettn15 View Post
    I just relocated from Florida to the Nashville, TN area. I lived in Gainesville for most of my life (about an hour southwest of Jacksonville) and frequented the Jacksonville area. For the past few years I lived in Orlando but visited the area occasionally to see friends and family. Speeds in the Jacksonville area seemed to be more consistently fast compared to other metros. As far as the drive from ATL to JAX, you should be covered. I don't ever remember losing an LTE signal on my iPhone 8, even in south Georgia.
    Ok good to know garrettn15 I appreciate the info!

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    According to CellMapper, the main routes should be no problem.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    According to CellMapper, the main routes should be no problem.
    Ok thanks I appreciate the reply! By any chance do you know what bands are active in that area?

Or even better still, do you have a link to the tool/site that you use to check for band/mhz licenses!?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Ok thanks I appreciate the reply! By any chance do you know what bands are active in that area?

Or even better still, do you have a link to the tool/site that you use to check for band/mhz licenses!?

Thanks!
    In Duval Co. T-Mobile has 25x25 AWS (band-4), 20x20 PCS (band-2), 6x6 700 MHz (band-12) and 10x10 of 600 MHz (band-71) which is not currently deployable. I'm not exactly sure how they have it deployed right now but they seem to have LTE on bands 4 & 12.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Cool, looks like this will be a much better trip coverage wise than Cherokee, NC. I need to pick up an Android for when I'm on the road, so I can contribute to Cell Mapper.

I run Waze exclusively and daily, so Cellmapper is a no go on my iphone. I wonder when the Band 71 will be deployed or vacated!?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    .....I wonder when the Band 71 will be deployed or vacated!?
    In Jacksonville? Not until phase 7 (Jan 2020)

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In Jacksonville? Not until phase 7 (Jan 2020)
    Still think that old schedule is obsolete since only T-Mobile is deploying the 600 Mhz. T-Mobile is already prioritizing TV stations by moving them up in priority on the repack scheduled to replace the TV equipment that allows the TV to vacate the spectrum ahead of the old schedule. I think T-Mobile owns about 45% of the 600 Mhz spectrum and there is no rush to move stations that are not on the 55% of the spectrum that isn't owned by T-Mobile.

When you can get major markets like NYC and Miami moved up in priority of the TV station repacking to the 1st half of 2018 it is going to focus on Priority. T-Mobile had moved up Jackson, TN by 20 months. I have already read in the past the FCC agreed to work with T-Mobile on prioritising the repack sites. The only networks that aren't spectrum squatters are T-Mobile, US Cellular and Cspire. Don't think the smaller rural regional networks are attempting to deploy their tiny Band 71 spectrum at this point.

Market Station(s) New date Original date
    NYC WWOR 03/05/2018* 08/02/2019
    Springdale, AR KWOG 04/01/2018 04/12/2019
    Miami, FL WAMI-DT, WJAN-CD 06/01/2018 04/12/2019
    Lansing, MI WKAR-TV 06/01/2018 01/17/2020
    Charleston, SC WCSC-TV 06/01/2018 09/06/2019
    Savannah, GA WSAV-TV 06/01/2018 01/17/2020
    Jackson, TN WJKT 06/01/2018 03/13/2020
    Green Bay, WI WPNE-TV, WGBA-TV 07/01/2018 06/21/2019
    Puerto Rico all 19 stations 08/01/2018 06/21/2019
    U.S. Virgin Islands WZVI 08/01/2018 06/21/2019
    Sioux Falls, SD KDLT-TV 11/30/2018 03/13/2020
    Jackson, MS WDBD, WLOO 11/30/2018 06/21/2019

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Pre-Paid
    Feedback Score
    Before I retired, I traveled/drove a lot on business from Atlanta to Jacksonville. Along the interstates you will have no problem. However, at times, (just for a change of scenery), I would get off I-75 in Tifton, and go to Jacksonville via Waycross, then down to Jacksonville. (US 82 to US 1). On Verizon, I had no problems with coverage taking these South Georgia back roads to Jacksonville. I have friends who have ATT who would do the same thing, (again just for a change of scenery from the Interstate). ATT had overage most of the way also.

However, a lot of my friends have Sprint and T-Mobile. Sprint and T-Mobile on these roads (US 82 and US 1), were spotty at best. (Except for Waycross which was well covered). Especially the drive from Waycross to the GA/FL border on US 1. Both Sprint and T-Mobile had no coverage in a lot of that road.

Just an FYI...this was as of about 18 months ago. Things might be different today. However for a change of scenery, Tifton to Waycross to Jacksonville has some beautiful scenery, and that route is worth taking when you have time.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    Still think that old schedule is obsolete since only T-Mobile is deploying the 600 Mhz. T-Mobile is already prioritizing TV stations by moving them up in priority on the repack scheduled to replace the TV equipment that allows the TV to vacate the spectrum ahead of the old schedule. ......
    When you look at Jacksonville, there are at least three stations that need to be moved before much of T-Mobile's 600 MHz can be used. Also, there's little need to rush. They have 90 MHz of mid-band plus 6x6 of 700 MHz. The population of Miami-Dade is about 3x the population of Duval Co. I try to never say "never" but I think it's less likely that T-Mobile will go out of their way to clear up 10x10 of 600 MHz in Jacksonville than some place congested, like NYC, or even rural, like Mississippi, where they have low-band in only two counties.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Meteor View Post
    Before I retired, I traveled/drove a lot on business from Atlanta to Jacksonville. Along the interstates you will have no problem. However, at times, (just for a change of scenery), I would get off I-75 in Tifton, and go to Jacksonville via Waycross, then down to Jacksonville. (US 82 to US 1). On Verizon, I had no problems with coverage taking these South Georgia back roads to Jacksonville. I have friends who have ATT who would do the same thing, (again just for a change of scenery from the Interstate). ATT had overage most of the way also.

However, a lot of my friends have Sprint and T-Mobile. Sprint and T-Mobile on these roads (US 82 and US 1), were spotty at best. (Except for Waycross which was well covered). Especially the drive from Waycross to the GA/FL border on US 1. Both Sprint and T-Mobile had no coverage in a lot of that road.

Just an FYI...this was as of about 18 months ago. Things might be different today. However for a change of scenery, Tifton to Waycross to Jacksonville has some beautiful scenery, and that route is worth taking when you have time.

Nice... that's good to know, both aesthecially and practically. If I hit the road early enough I might be interested in doing just that.

Thanks!

On a side note, in a world where your phone is pretty much your everything, it kinda wigs me out not to have service for any significant amount of time, or on any sort of stretch of a road trip. Guess it's part of the growing pains and the trade off of being with T-Mobile.

I accept however, but definitely am taking notes.

When you look at Jacksonville, there are at least three stations that need to be moved before much of T-Mobile's 600 MHz can be used. Also, there's little need to rush. They have 90 MHz of mid-band plus 6x6 of 700 MHz. The population of Miami-Dade is about 3x the population of Duval Co. I try to never say "never" but I think it's less likely that T-Mobile will go out of their way to clear up 10x10 of 600 MHz in Jacksonville than some place congested, like NYC, or even rural, like Mississippi, where they have low-band in only two counties.
    If they did bump up the schedule for Duval, I think it would be a result of being ahead of schedule in other areas and nothing more. TBH... I don't plan on getting a Band 71 compatible phone for at least another year or two, so I'm not that pressed about Band 71.

Tired of Apple price gouging, and there's some sort of satisfaction in self-deprivation.
    Last edited by Wide_opeN; 04-04-2018 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Combine Post

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Pre-Paid
    Feedback Score
    Nice... that's good to know, both aesthecially and practically. If I hit the road early enough I might be interested in doing just that.

Thanks!

On a side note, in a world where your phone is pretty much your everything, it kinda wigs me out not to have service for any significant amount of time, or on any sort of stretch of a road trip. Guess it's part of the growing pains and the trade off of being with T-Mobile.

I accept however, but definitely am taking notes.
    In looking at the latest T-Mobile coverage maps, it looks like they have coverage the whole way on US 82 from Tifton to Waycross. However, the maps still shows no coverage for part of way between Waycross and the GA/FL border. Most of that "no coverage" area is the eastern outskirts of the Okefenokee Swamp. However, that road (US 1), is very heavily traveled, and a major CSX rail line goes along US 1 most of the way. I have to believe that T-Mobile will fill in this gap eventually. Once you get to the Florida border, clear sailing into Jacksonville.

I honestly took this route at least 50% of the time when I traveled between Atlanta and Jacksonville. Yes, it might take 30 minutes longer than the interstate, but a lot-lot less stress than dealing with interstate traffic!

If you do take this route, stop in Folkston, GA. for a few minutes. The CSX "Folkston Funnell" is located here, where about 95% of all trains into and out of Florida go on these rails, (including Amtrak). They have a viewing stand (under cover), where you can sit and watch the trains, a scanner, so you can hear the conversations between trains, and also a restroom. Very popular. Only problem, according to the maps, T-Mobile still does NOT work in Folkston - yet. Again, maybe someday.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Unlike my most recent trip, data roaming and manual network selection are enabled.

Any partner roaming in any of the mentioned areas!?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Pre-Paid
    Feedback Score
    The way I am reading the T-Mobile coverage maps, the answer is no. But you should probably look at them, so you can see what I am talking about. The only gap on these routes is US 1 probably for about 15 miles, south of Waycross. Otherwise you should be OK. Look at the coverage maps, decide and take it from there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast