Thread: Transferring a Verizon business number from landline to Tracfone

Feedback Score

Transferring a Verizon business number from landline to Tracfone

I currently have a Verizon (landline) business phone number for my small home business. I've been thinking of transferring that number to a Tracfone since the Verizon bill is high and I need to cut back costs. I don't get or make a huge amount of call on this line so it doesn't justify the monthly V bill, plus, a cell will give me text capabilities to/from clients if needed. I do want my biz name showing up on client's caller ID which is why I need to keep a biz line separately from my home landland or personal cell. Does anyone know if it will be an problem transferring a biz number to a Tracfone (as oppose to a regular home landline # which is generally easy to do) without hiccups?

I have to be sure that it will work without incident since I can't afford to lose this phone number that I've had for 17 years as it's on all my marketing materials. I know there will be a short period of no service while it # is ported (if, in face, a V biz # can be transferred to a pay-as-you-go Tracfone). Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Personally, I would not do this.

Tracfone is too risky for this sort of thing. They have no caller ID for your customers to see. The customers will see only that you are a "wireless caller". That is not very professional. Also, your account can totally glitch up for no reason and your number can be toast.

Tracfone takes no responsibility for anything. They are just flunkies of the mainline carriers. The carriers and Tracfone will just blame each other.

I have two Tracfone lines, but I would not consider them to be reliable enough for a business.

Maybe you could get something from a regular carrier who is used to dealing with business accounts.

Feedback Score
    I have had Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, TMobile, and just recently Tracfone.
    I would not use any of them alone for a business.

One person I know has a Verizon business line that he has linked to his cellphone in a googlephone like way so that when his office phone rings it also rings his cell. He is almost never in his office because he is a plumber and is usually bailing out someone's basement or building a new boiler for them. His setup works great for him and when he makes an outbound call it comes up with his business name. I do not know how they do it or how much he pays. But it is the type of thing you might want to ask about.

One more thing I would like to share. So far that I have seen, Verizon requires a customer to request some of the settings for cell services like block caller id for all calls or number of rings before going to voicemail directly from Verizon Customer service and there does not seem to be any way to control these things from the cellphone. Tracfone will not request changes from Verizon on your behalf and you are stuck with default values. Though Verizon has excellent coverage in many areas. When you use Tracfone you are riding on either Verizon's network or one of the other carriers' networks. The GSM carriers allow some of the settings to be controlled from the cellphone itself. For example, some people with TMobile GSM network phones have been able to set the number of rings before going to voicemail. So if you decide to try Tracfone for your business, you might want to use a GSM cellphone on TMobile or ATT network because your customers might get very annoyed if everytime they call they end up in voicemail because you can't answer the call in the 20 seconds Verizon based Tracfones allow you.

HTH

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djkkk View Post
    I currently have a Verizon (landline) business phone number for my small home business. I've been thinking of transferring that number to a Tracfone since the Verizon bill is high and I need to cut back costs. I don't get or make a huge amount of call on this line so it doesn't justify the monthly V bill, plus, a cell will give me text capabilities to/from clients if needed. I do want my biz name showing up on client's caller ID which is why I need to keep a biz line separately from my home landland or personal cell. Does anyone know if it will be an problem transferring a biz number to a Tracfone (as oppose to a regular home landline # which is generally easy to do) without hiccups? I have to be sure that it will work without incident since I can't afford to lose this phone number that I've had for 17 years as it's on all my marketing materials. I know there will be a short period of no service while it # is ported (if, in face, a V biz # can be transferred to a pay-as-you-go Tracfone). Thanks.
    too much of a risk - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...edium-or-large

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I might suggest TelTik for a business line for a small business, which includes a lot of business phone line management features.

But do your own research before deciding to transfer a business # to TekTik.

See https://teltik.com/features.php for more info.
    Vzw-$9.99/mo+$0.25/min 1999-2001
    PagePlus-2001-2015
    LycaMobile-v1 2013-2016
    Selectel-2013-2015
    Puppy-2014
    Tracfone-2015-2016
    TruPhone-2015-
    Red Pocket-2016-2017
    Piranha-2016-
    FreedomPop-GSM 2016-
    T-Mo-Data 2017-

Ericsson AF738 Jul01-Dec03
    Qualcomm QCP 2760 Dec03-Feb08
    LG VX-8600 Feb08-Apr10
    Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 Apr10-Nov11
    HTC Droid Inc ADR6300 (CM7.2) Nov11-Jun13
    HTC Droid Inc 2 ADR6350 (CM7.2) Jun13-May15
    LG G2 VS980 (Rooted) May15-Apr17
    LG Phoenix 2 Mar17-

Feedback Score
    Thanks.. This is exactly the info I was looking for before trying to port my Biz # to a Tracfone. I will refrain from doing that and look into the links posted as well as other potential options to make this work. There are times I am out of the office and do like that a client can leave a voice mail currently, so VM will be important.

Keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Feedback Score
    I ported my home number to TF a coupla years back. I do use my number as a business, but it's in my personal name. No problems.

As an aside, why do you still have a landline? That still costs money, unless you use it a lot, because it is unlimited.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I would post your question to dslreports voip forum: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

They may be able to suggest options for a business VoIP line that would be cheaper and have more options.