Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: VW June 30th VOLTE only service

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malibu31 View Post
    I know Mercedes uses Verizon for connectivity. Cars like the 2016 E class have no LTE in them, only 3G.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    When they shut down analog, MB updated the radio module in the cars for active subscribers.

Device(s)
    Moto E4 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)-3 Lines
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    They better not get rid of 3G ,1x soon here in Los Angeles inside stores and high rise buildings LTE craps out.
    Just imagine if you only had VoLTE calling to rely on. . . . It doesn't even work that well inside standard residential dwellings when the signal starts getting weak.

Enjoy 1x calling while you can. It might not sound the greatest, but it works most anywhere.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    They better not get rid of 3G ,1x soon here in Los Angeles inside stores and high rise buildings LTE craps out .
    Here at work, the copper impregnated green glass, the modern buildings are made of, blocks RF, including cell and GPS. So, Verizon installed what I call a "mini-tower" thru-out the buildings, and one of its antennas is in the hallway ceiling directly outside my office door. Even with that, like once a month or so, I notice my phone falling back to 3G.

So, clearly, Verizon's 4G/LTE is no where near being ready for 'prime time'. Even under the best of circumstances, it isn't reliable and requires 3G as a safety net.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    When they shut down analog, MB updated the radio module in the cars for active subscribers.
    As a contrast, GM's OnStar did not.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baayers View Post
    After June 30th any phone you want to activate on the Verizon network must support VoLTE. Any phone that does not support it and relies on the legacy CDMA network for calling will not work after the end of 2019 as that is when they will shut down the old network. On the topic of roaming nothing has been announced yet which makes total sense as we are still over 18 months away from the shut down.
    I wonder if Onstar is going to upgrade their Verizon CDMA communications equipment in General Motors made vehicles in the United States. I know they did in Canada or is Onstar going to screw people like they did with the transition to Digital from Analog.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by baayers View Post
    After June 30th any phone you want to activate on the Verizon network must support VoLTE. Any phone that does not support it and relies on the legacy CDMA network for calling will not work after the end of 2019 as that is when they will shut down the old network. On the topic of roaming nothing has been announced yet which makes total sense as we are still over 18 months away from the shut down.
    Sprint is so screwed when Verizon shuts down their legacy 1X and EVDO networks since Sprint does not even have Voice over LTE and Verizon has not officially allowed Voice over LTE roaming on their network or even indicated if it ever will.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Whether or not they will completely shut down their legacy networks remains to be seen. Utilities still use them for M2M, and even business phone, purposes. And no, it's not as easy as swapping out old modules for new ones. There has to be rigorous testing done to ensure it is reliable 99.99% of the time.

That may be a stretch, but you get the point. My assumption is they'll leave a channel or two open for EV-DO or 1x for the M2M devices, while the legacy phones (think flip phones) would need to be upgraded to LTE ones. No way are the slim channels going to handle a voice call well.

They would only need to open a thin slice in their spectrum for a 1X channel for M2M they do not need an EV-DO Channel open since EV-DO communications devices would be backwards compatible with the 1X data standard. Until all M2M customers are transitioned over to LTE M2M equipment.

Feedback Score
    I know Mercedes uses Verizon for connectivity. Cars like the 2016 E class have no LTE in them, only 3G.

What a dumb shortsighted move by that automaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    They better not get rid of 3G ,1x soon here in Los Angeles inside stores and high rise buildings LTE craps out . No lte at all as u can see with my note 8 . While At&t which my mom has gets 3 bars lte in the same stores and high rise buildings and everything works for her . Me on Verizon data don't work at all and most of the calls fail on 1X . Some go thru but not all I get " call not sent" airplane mode on and off gets me 1 bar of 3G evdo then a minute later disappears and stay on 1X . I thought calls would at least work ok on 1x but I have only gotten about 2 to work and they sounded REAL bad and as I was walking around the store they dropped . Then as I tried again to call they just wouldn't even go thru "call not sent " again . I cannot imagine using an lte only device anytime soon . Because like I said sometimes 1x works when no lte is available at all .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    They have until end of 2019 to make some massive improvements. Complain as much as you can, maybe they'll hear you.
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    They'll need to do it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    Just imagine if you only had VoLTE calling to rely on. . . . It doesn't even work that well inside standard residential dwellings when the signal starts getting weak.

Enjoy 1x calling while you can. It might not sound the greatest, but it works most anywhere.
    The signal will get better once the legacy tech gets taken offline. It'll have a similar effect like when AT&T shut 2G down, but if they keep a thin slice of 1x open, it may hinder those benefits.
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    Here at work, the copper impregnated green glass, the modern buildings are made of, blocks RF, including cell and GPS. So, Verizon installed what I call a "mini-tower" thru-out the buildings, and one of its antennas is in the hallway ceiling directly outside my office door. Even with that, like once a month or so, I notice my phone falling back to 3G.

So, clearly, Verizon's 4G/LTE is no where near being ready for 'prime time'. Even under the best of circumstances, it isn't reliable and requires 3G as a safety net.
    Agreed, more work needs to be done. Although, in my experience they've done a great job so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    They would only need to open a thin slice in their spectrum for a 1X channel for M2M they do not need an EV-DO Channel open since EV-DO communications devices would be backwards compatible with the 1X data standard. Until all M2M customers are transitioned over to LTE M2M equipment.
    That's my assumption. My company desperately will need it, so I'm guessing they have that agreement in place already. We have a very good relationship with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    What a dumb shortsighted move by that automaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My car does have an LTE module (2017 E, the latest generation). They'll probably swap out the modules in the older vehicles once the shutdown commences. They'll need it for the mbrace/Mercedes Me app to work.

It does seem the newest vehicles are getting LTE. I have to check my mom's GLE

Feedback Score
    Ok let's clarify somethings. Verizon has 850 MHz in blocks of 11X11 MHz and 1.5X1.5 MHz. The 11x11 blocks will be converted to LTE ( actually 10X10 will be used ) and they have converted it in some areas but just 5X5. Leaving the rest for calling for now. When CDMA ends the 1.5X1.5 blocks will still be active for YEARS and that is what will be used for m2m use. So no need worry about that stuff.

As far as the worry about VoLTE calls. 850 MHz which everyone claims is needed for calls because VoLTE is not as good is the SAME as LTE band 5. So at least to me it would seem once that is converted to LTE why would it magically be not as good? Right now you have 700 MHz, 1700/2100 and 1900 for VoLTE and it seems like adding 850 can only help. So any issue with VoLTE should be diminished greatly.

Device(s)
    LG G6 (Carrier Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

BMW's made prior to 2013 all lost BMW Connect.
    Cars made in 2013/2014 were given the option of retrofit for free or $500.
    I chose the retrofit. My 2013 X5 has an LTE module. Not sure what carrier BMW uses. I think AT&T.
    Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. -- Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by idavenport90 View Post
    I wonder if Onstar is going to upgrade their Verizon CDMA communications equipment in General Motors made vehicles in the United States. I know they did in Canada or is Onstar going to screw people like they did with the transition to Digital from Analog.
    What a weird way of looking at things. How is Onstar screwing anyone. Nobody guarantees that their equipment will possess the newest technology forever. I mean, should I be upset because Motorola screwed me by not including LTE radios in my first bag phone? Should I be pissed off because my 1965 Ford Mustang doesn't have multi-port fuel injection instead of an old four barrel carburetor?

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmtvaquero View Post
    What a weird way of looking at things. How is Onstar screwing anyone. Nobody guarantees that their equipment will possess the newest technology forever. I mean, should I be upset because Motorola screwed me by not including LTE radios in my first bag phone? Should I be pissed off because my 1965 Ford Mustang doesn't have multi-port fuel injection instead of an old four barrel carburetor?
    Onstar gave no upgrade option but to get a new vehicle and a new car loan for vehicles that were 2005 and under. Verizon Wireless analog was shutdown in 2008 in case people do not know when this happened. Onstar could have easily have provided an upgrade even if the customer had to pay for the module and dealer installation fee consider that their were cars that were just a couple of years old that have Onstar systems that are bricked and would hurt their vehicles value if the buyer wants a working Onstar system.

Carrier(s)
    Spectrum Mobile
    Feedback Score
    What is going to suck is that Duke Energy our power company in Cincinnati Ohio uses Verizon Wireless for their new smart meters and smart grid. My guess is that they are either EVDO or 1X so I can see Duke Energy charging us a higher energy rate to upgrade all their equipment that is only a couple of years old.

Feedback Score
    They better not get rid of 3G ,1x soon here in Los Angeles inside stores and high rise buildings LTE craps out . No lte at all as u can see with my note 8 . While At&t which my mom has gets 3 bars lte in the same stores and high rise buildings and everything works for her . Me on Verizon data don't work at all and most of the calls fail on 1X . Some go thru but not all I get " call not sent" airplane mode on and off gets me 1 bar of 3G evdo then a minute later disappears and stay on 1X . I thought calls would at least work ok on 1x but I have only gotten about 2 to work and they sounded REAL bad and as I was walking around the store they dropped . Then as I tried again to call they just wouldn't even go thru "call not sent " again . I cannot imagine using an lte only device anytime soon . Because like I said sometimes 1x works when no lte is available at all .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I am amazed that att provides better service than Verizon in LA because it is not reflected in the review by Root Metrics. If this is really the case, why don’t you dump Verizon and switch to att?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast