Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: VW June 30th VOLTE only service

Feedback Score

VW June 30th VOLTE only service

I have heard that after June 30th VW will require VOLTE only phones.
    https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/201...hones.html?m=1 , look at the comments on the PPPN page.

Can someone explain this in a little bit more detail to me?

So does it mean that the older non VOLTE VW phones will just no longer have talk and text? Will they no longer have T&T&Data? Or does it mean something else?

Redwood Valley,NorCal/but SoCal Born and Raised/Pocatello,ID
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10+, Samsung Galaxy Watch (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ilvla2 View Post
    It fails to mention U.S. Cellular. They have VoLTE up in some markets, and are currently rolling it out to areas like NorCal.
    Do you mean that USC will allow non-VOLTE phones on their service?

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Feedback Score
    After June 30th any phone you want to activate on the Verizon network must support VoLTE. Any phone that does not support it and relies on the legacy CDMA network for calling will not work after the end of 2019 as that is when they will shut down the old network. On the topic of roaming nothing has been announced yet which makes total sense as we are still over 18 months away from the shut down.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    Do you mean that USC will allow non-VOLTE phones on their service?
    Since more than half of US cellular‘s footprint is still relying on the legacy network for voice services I would believe so. With that said they are working towards using VoLTE and are finally starting to make some progress with this so I assume the window there will be closing soon as well.

Feedback Score
    I have heard that after June 30th VW will require VOLTE only phones.
    [url]So does it mean that the older non VOLTE VW phones will just no longer have talk and text? Will they no longer have T&T&Data? Or does it mean something else?
    The June 30 deadline is just for new activations (or replacement phones). Phones that are already activated should continue to work for another year and a half.

After the CDMA shutdown (scheduled for the end of 2019), phones without LTE support will not work at all on Verizon. I'm not sure what will happen with phones that support LTE but not VoLTE. It's possible that they will continue to work as data-only devices (mini-tablets), but it's also possible that Verizon will block them from connecting to the network.

Feedback Score
    Whether or not they will completely shut down their legacy networks remains to be seen. Utilities still use them for M2M, and even business phone, purposes. And no, it's not as easy as swapping out old modules for new ones. There has to be rigorous testing done to ensure it is reliable 99.99% of the time.

That may be a stretch, but you get the point. My assumption is they'll leave a channel or two open for EV-DO or 1x for the M2M devices, while the legacy phones (think flip phones) would need to be upgraded to LTE ones. No way are the slim channels going to handle a voice call well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andybalholm View Post
    The June 30 deadline is just for new activations (or replacement phones). Phones that are already activated should continue to work for another year and a half.

After the CDMA shutdown (scheduled for the end of 2019), phones without LTE support will not work at all on Verizon. I'm not sure what will happen with phones that support LTE but not VoLTE. It's possible that they will continue to work as data-only devices (mini-tablets), but it's also possible that Verizon will block them from connecting to the network.
    Would this hold true for activation on MVNOs?
    So, if I already have an mvno vw plan and wish to move to another mvno's verizon plan, then my phone MUST have Volte after June 30th?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by malibu31 View Post
    Whether or not they will completely shut down their legacy networks remains to be seen. Utilities still use them for M2M, and even business phone, purposes. And no, it's not as easy as swapping out old modules for new ones. There has to be rigorous testing done to ensure it is reliable 99.99% of the time.

That may be a stretch, but you get the point. My assumption is they'll leave a channel or two open for EV-DO or 1x for the M2M devices, while the legacy phones (think flip phones) would need to be upgraded to LTE ones. No way are the slim channels going to handle a voice call well.

Agreed. A few channels will remain open, for emergency and legacy business, and other use cases. It's not going anywhere this soon. The artificial June 30 is merely a marketing thing - lots of "upgrades" coming you see. it's just business.

Feedback Score
    Would this hold true for activation on MVNOs?
    So, if I already have an mvno vw plan and wish to move to another mvno's verizon plan, then my phone MUST have Volte after June 30th?
    Yes, it definitely applies to MVNOs too.

Quote Originally Posted by mrperkster View Post
    The artificial June 30 is merely a marketing thing - lots of "upgrades" coming you see. it's just business.
    No, it's not really a marketing thing. It's an effort to reduce the number of active CDMA devices they have to deal with when the sunset date comes around. They really should have done this much sooner if they are serious about shutting down CDMA at the end of 2019. AT&T stopped selling 2G devices more like 5 years before their 2G sunset. (I don't know when they actually started refusing to activate 2G devices, though.) But Verizon waited to put this in place until their VoLTE coverage was satisfactory, and they had a decent selection of 4G flip phones.

It looks to me like Verizon will still have millions of CDMA phones on their network when fall 2019 comes around. Getting them all upgraded will be quite a project. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they need to postpone the deadline a few months like Telus did.

Device(s)
    Moto Z2 Play (Vzw), Moto Z Play (PP)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andybalholm View Post
    It looks to me like Verizon will still have millions of CDMA phones on their network when fall 2019 comes around. Getting them all upgraded will be quite a project. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they need to postpone the deadline a few months like Telus did.
    Page Plus is still requiring the use of only CDMA/3G phones on their PAYG plans. You can't use an LTE (or a VoLTE) phone even if you want to (and I want to).

Feedback Score
    I'm looking at moving from a convoy 3 to a duraxv LTE i'm rather concerned that once i'm actually able to get one I won't be able to switch back if it doesn't work as well.

Not that it won't be a rather moot point in about a year and a half anyway..

Feedback Score
    What will the car companies do that sell services such as Carnet that is provided in Volkswagen cars? Are they already using LTE?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    What will the car companies do that sell services such as Carnet that is provided in Volkswagen cars? Are they already using LTE?
    I know Mercedes uses Verizon for connectivity. Cars like the 2016 E class have no LTE in them, only 3G.

Feedback Score
    They better not get rid of 3G ,1x soon here in Los Angeles inside stores and high rise buildings LTE craps out . No lte at all as u can see with my note 8 . While At&t which my mom has gets 3 bars lte in the same stores and high rise buildings and everything works for her . Me on Verizon data don't work at all and most of the calls fail on 1X . Some go thru but not all I get " call not sent" airplane mode on and off gets me 1 bar of 3G evdo then a minute later disappears and stay on 1X . I thought calls would at least work ok on 1x but I have only gotten about 2 to work and they sounded REAL bad and as I was walking around the store they dropped . Then as I tried again to call they just wouldn't even go thru "call not sent " again . I cannot imagine using an lte only device anytime soon . Because like I said sometimes 1x works when no lte is available at all .

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by omarc443; 04-05-2018 at 02:19 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast