Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: International calls

Feedback Score

International calls

When I try to call an international # (to Thailand), I get "You have insufficient funds to complete this call..". even though the country is listed as the same rate as local/US...
    But, it has "Cellphone" appended to it: does that mean you can only call cellphones (as local)?

This is what they say:
    Calls to cellular phones are not included unless the word "CELLULAR" is specifically listed next to the country name. Numbers in parentheses indicated the Country Code.

International Destinations include cities within the countries listed below.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    There has always been different rates to call cell phones vs. landline international phone #'s with cellular carriers. Do you have enough money on your account ?? Calls to Thailand from the US are not free and are not domestic. Not sure what the confusion is about.
    Don't make me turn this car around.....

Feedback Score
    They have a list of countries for which each minute you call , only 1 minute is deducted.... like calling to a US #.... that's why I used the word ...local.

http://extras.tracfone.com/en/ild?AI...i-destinations

It has Thailand listed twice: Land line and Cellular:

Thailand CELLULAR (66)
    Thailand (66)

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by meetoo88 View Post
    They have a list of countries for which each minute you call , only 1 minute is deducted.... like calling to a US #.... that's why I used the word ...local.

But, it has "Cellphone" appended to it: does that mean you can only call cellphones (as local)?
    With countries that are not noted with "Cellphone", you can only call landline numbers from your Tracfone.

Did you dial the 305-938-5673 number as shown below, or dial the number in Thailand directly?

Name:  Tracfone-International-Call.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  36.5 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    With countries that are not noted with "Cellphone", you can only call landline numbers from your Tracfone.

Did you dial the 305-938-5673 number as shown below, or dial the number in Thailand directly?

No.... I used Tracfone International App (android download) where you enter :

(011+Country Code + City Code (location) + the phone number)

and save all of it as a contact ... To call, just activate the saved contact, and it's supposed to make the call for you without dialing the 305 number.. and since Thailand is noted as good for both landline and cellular, it should have worked.
    thanks anyway.

Maybe I should try it manually dialing 305 and see ; which is cumbersome and might degrade somewhat the sound.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I believe that in order to dial directly (bypassing the access number) like you did, you need to have bought/redeemed a TF Global Calling Card. The card adds money to an International Call bucket, and the cost of the call (charged at different per-minute rates based on the countries) is deducted from that bucket. That would explain the "insufficient fund" message that you got.

If you want to use your regular talk bucket, you'll need to dial through the 305 access number. Give it a try.

Feedback Score
    I believe that in order to dial directly (bypassing the access number) like you did, you need to have bought/redeemed a TF Global Calling Card. The card adds money to an International Call bucket, and the cost of the call (charged at different per-minute rates based on the countries) is deducted from that bucket. That would explain the "insufficient fund" message that you got.

If you want to use your regular talk bucket, you'll need to dial through the 305 access number. Give it a try.
    I may have to do that tonight (!! hrs time difference)... with all the minutes I have, I am not going to spend anymore...

I wanted to use Net10, but they tell you upfront to buy a 30 day Card for $ 65 + taxes I guess... even though I still have some $40 plan cards... those cards are no good for international calls... what a ripoff wasting all that good money to FD.

Feedback Score
    For NET10 it looks like you could buy the $10 International long distance card and use it with your $40 cards - if that's of any use to you.

https://www.net10wireless.com/shop/i...balcallingcard

Sounds like you are better off using your many TracFone minutes and having to dial all the digits.

Quote Originally Posted by meetoo88 View Post
    I may have to do that tonight (!! hrs time difference)... with all the minutes I have, I am not going to spend anymore...

I wanted to use Net10, but they tell you upfront to buy a 30 day Card for $ 65 + taxes I guess... even though I still have some $40 plan cards... those cards are no good for international calls... what a ripoff wasting all that good money to FD.

Feedback Score
    The 305 access number did not work either but was given a stupid reason:" Not allowed from this phone... and to call them".
    I was using MOTO 5 Plus... and I am not going to waste 30 minutes or more chatting with India or Latin America.
    I have another Samsung SKY which I may try later...

Feedback Score

Used the 305 to call different cites in Thailand, but all I get is a busy signal at every location...
    I don't know if their International Cards are any better... but I don't think it is worth the try: e-mail is a lot faster and it's free..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by meetoo88; 04-04-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just for grins, I did some experimenting using my Phoenix 2 on TF/AT&T. I called the Paris Tourist Assistance number which is listed as "Tel. +33 (0)1 45 88 18 00". A google search said not to dial the zero in the parentheses. I called at 10:30AM CDT which is 5:30PM in Paris and the office closes at 5PM, so I wouldn't have to talk to anyone.

* Call #1: I dialed the TF Access Number 305 938 5673, then pressed 1 for English. The voice instruction said to dial "011" (web site shows 001), then country code, then foreign number. I dialed 011 33 1 45 88 18 00. The phone rang for a while but nobody answered, so I hanged up. The call lasted 1 min 25 sec and my talk bucket was deducted 2 minutes.

* Call #2: I dialed the TF Access Number. This time it didn't ask me to press 1 for English and went directly to the dialing instructions. I decided to dial 001 per the web site, then 33 1 45 88 18 00. The TF system came back with "The number you dialed is not a valid number". I hanged up. Got charged one minute.

You might want to try dialing 011 instead of 001, before dialing the country code and foreign number.

Device(s)
    Moto G6 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    The phone rang for a while but nobody answered, so I hanged up. The call lasted 1 min 25 sec and my talk bucket was deducted 2 minutes
    I just tried that number on Red Pocket/ATT using 011 & it is in fact a good number for off hours testing. Waited till the answering machine picked up & let it play for about 10 seconds. The call on RP registered 59 seconds, so evidently TF starts charging from the time the initial access number is dialed.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm...since everyone else was having SO much fun calling +33 (0)1 45 88 18 00, I just now tried it using GV. I entered the # EXACTLY as written above. But somebody answered, lol! I think the person was speaking French, but I got flustered, so I just said sorry, and hung up. Before the call was connected, GV said it would cost $0.01/min, and $0.01 was deducted from my GV balance after I hung up.

I wonder if using the # EXACTLY as written above, without 011, caused it to connect to a different recipient, or if somebody had come back into the Paris Tourist Assistance office and answered when I called?

I'm hesitant to try 011 33 1 45 88 18 00, because I don't want to bother the person, if the call gets answered again!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I wonder if using the # EXACTLY as written above, without 011, caused it to connect to a different recipient, or if somebody had come back into the Paris Tourist Assistance office and answered when I called?
    Maybe the cleaning janitor got tired of the ringing phone and decided to answer it

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
    I just tried that number on Red Pocket/ATT using 011 & it is in fact a good number for off hours testing. Waited till the answering machine picked up & let it play for about 10 seconds. The call on RP registered 59 seconds, so evidently TF starts charging from the time the initial access number is dialed.
    TF says somewhere there is a charge only if the call was answered/ someone picks up the phone.

011 IS A MUST TO DIAL OVERSEAS from the US...

Whether dialing from a mobile phone or landline, this is how to call the US or Canada from Europe:
    Dial 00, Europe's international access code, or enter + from any mobile phone.
    Dial 1, the country code for the US and Canada.
    Dial the phone number, including area code.
    Last edited by meetoo88; 04-04-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast