Thread: Tracfone (T-Mobile) WiFi-Calling not working on iPhone

Feedback Score

Tracfone (T-Mobile) WiFi-Calling not working on iPhone

Tracfone claims my SIM card (T-Mobile) is correctly provisioned for WiFi Calling but the Setting does not show up in my unlocked iPhone 7. Supposedly this only works with branded phones.

Does anyone have WiFi Calling working with an iPhone on Tracfone (T-Mobile)?

Feedback Score
    does your phone have all the latest updates including the ios ??

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I would like to know too. I've got the iPhone X and Tmobile Tracfone card. I was just looking for the setting for wifi calling and can't find it. Beware though...it may eat all your data. I paid for 1 GB extra data 2 days ago, hadn't used it and after a phone call tonight, my data is gone!

Feedback Score
    How long was your phone call? 1GB for one phone call seems excessive and doesn't make sense to me. Did you confirm your balance was correct after you had purchased the 1GB data?

How do you have your iPhone configured to use data for phone calls anyway? I know on Androids apps like Hangouts can make calls using WiFi or mobile data.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelita View Post
    I would like to know too. I've got the iPhone X and Tmobile Tracfone card. I was just looking for the setting for wifi calling and can't find it. Beware though...it may eat all your data. I paid for 1 GB extra data 2 days ago, hadn't used it and after a phone call tonight, my data is gone!

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    How long was your phone call? 1GB for one phone call seems excessive and doesn't make sense to me. Did you confirm your balance was correct after you had purchased the 1GB data?

How do you have your iPhone configured to use data for phone calls anyway? I know on Androids apps like Hangouts can make calls using WiFi or mobile data.
    It was probably about 15 minutes. They took it out of my bucket of minutes but all my data is gone too! Just a few hours earlier, when I checked it, I had 1013 mb of data. Now I have none and my wifi was on.

I don't even know where the setting is for wifi calling, that's why I chimed in on this thread. I've looked and looked to no avail, when I came here for answers. I don't understand where all my data went when I'm sitting on wifi all day.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    . I don't understand where all my data went when I'm sitting on wifi all day.
    I don't know about iPhones, but Andriod phones can show a history of data usage by apps.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    It was probably about 15 minutes. They took it out of my bucket of minutes but all my data is gone too! Just a few hours earlier, when I checked it, I had 1013 mb of data. Now I have none and my wifi was on.

I don't even know where the setting is for wifi calling, that's why I chimed in on this thread. I've looked and looked to no avail, when I came here for answers. I don't understand where all my data went when I'm sitting on wifi all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't know about iPhones, but Andriod phones can show a history of data usage by apps.
    Kelita, I'm sorry something happened to your data, but I highly doubt that the issue is related to WiFi calling or VoLTE.

hpham is correct. iPhones also have a cellular data usage history and control toggles, even though iOS is not smart enough to include an automatic monthly usage reset, at least not as of late last year when I last tried to help someone with an iPhone. Even so, you can see historically what has used most cellular data

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    does your phone have all the latest updates including the ios ??
    Yes, latest iOS 11.3. This is definitely not related to the phone. I think T-Mobile is blocking WiFi Calling. Maybe the phone needs to be on a white list?

Tracfone said it needs to be a Tracfone branded phone. I don't understand how this can be relevant.

VoIP however seems to work.

Feedback Score

Look under Settings - Cellular. You can see all the data used in the current period and by individual app. At the bottom it also lists System Services. If there is a lot of data usage, you might have to adjust some settings, e.g. for Music downloads. Do you use Apple Music?

I highly recommend to switch off Use Cellular Data under Settings - iTunes & App Stores.

Device(s)
    iPhone X, Galaxy S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkBow View Post
    Look under Settings - Cellular. You can see all the data used in the current period and by individual app. At the bottom it also lists System Services. If there is a lot of data usage, you might have to adjust some settings, e.g. for Music downloads. Do you use Apple Music?

I highly recommend to switch off Use Cellular Data under Settings - iTunes & App Stores.
    Yes, I looked there and only used 408 mb data. It is a Tracfone issue. I just got off chat with them and they added it back in. I do not use Apple Music and I am on wifi most of the time.

Just be careful if you purchase extra data from Tracfone because they'll give you an end date 24 hours later and *poof* data gone.

I think you're right about Tracfone blocking the wifi calling because I don't see those settings anywhere in my phone.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I looked there and only used 408 mb data. It is a Tracfone issue. I just got off chat with them and they added it back in. I do not use Apple Music and I am on wifi most of the time.

Just be careful if you purchase extra data from Tracfone because they'll give you an end date 24 hours later and *poof* data gone.

I think you're right about Tracfone blocking the wifi calling because I don't see those settings anywhere in my phone.
    Buying extra data is tied to your service end date of your Tracfone service. This must've been a Tracfone screw-up. Glad you got it back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkBow View Post
    Yes, latest iOS 11.3. This is definitely not related to the phone. I think T-Mobile is blocking WiFi Calling. Maybe the phone needs to be on a white list? Tracfone said it needs to be a Tracfone branded phone. I don't understand how this can be relevant. VoIP however seems to work.
    says the same thing on the cricket website also - https://www.cricketwireless.com/supp...le-phones.html also see here - https://e911-reg.tracfone.com/wps/po...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    That sucks!

Note: If you did not purchase your phone from Cricket but it is Wi-Fi Calling capable, you can still use your phone but Wi-Fi Calling will not work.

Tracfone however is not clear about this point of branded devices only.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4s
    Carrier(s)
    AirVoice
    Feedback Score
    No joy with WIFI Calling.

I got fully unlocked SE with IOS 11.3, phone is VoLTE capable, and no matter what I do, tried all 3 big carriers, no WIFI CALLING option under PHONE. Whenever I contact Tracfone, they always sub-text, "we can't guaranteed this will work on your phone (but they can't tell me exactly what phone they require)." Sounds like bunch of yahoo's running the place.

I did gained Hotspot capability (and maybe forwarding/waiting?) once I switched SIM to T-M.

Oh well, it won't kill me I guess but I will stick with HangOuts, telling myself at least there is no fee.

To the guy with data issue, turn every apps off using cellular data, then turn them back on, the ones you need, one at a time.