Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how to unlock a used sprint phone that is on sprint?

Feedback Score

how to unlock a used sprint phone that is on sprint?

I bought a used sprint phone off ebay. It came out about 6 months ago. It had a clean esn as far as I could tell at the time of purchase, since I was able to activate it on sprint via byod. Later I did a request to uicc unlocked, and I gave my account info.... however they said it could not be done and to contact the previous owner. I asked why it could not be unlocked and was told that they could not say why, but to contact the previous owner to request an unlock...

is this normal procedure by sprint? I mean, I DID activate it on MY account, so from that point on I figured that *I* was the new owner of the phone.. now I am not sure what to do or how to proceed.
    I'm not sure how a device active on my account could still be connected to some other account.
    I bought a new sim card for it.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I would have to guess the original owner still owes money on the phone and if so, Sprint will NOT unlock it for you. Only the original owner can resolve the issue with Sprint in that case.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    I don't think it is still being financed, I ran various esn checkers and they all came back good. I also found this helpful guide on how to check to see if a device was still being financed https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...major-carriers and nothing came up. I did think, seemingly incorrectly, that if a device was still being financed that it would not be able to be activated on sprint, but this topic here says otherwise... I think it must be something else

Feedback Score
    have you tried putting an AT&T or T mobile sim in the phone and see if it'll work on GSM networks ?? also see the unlocking policy - https://www.sprint.com/en/legal/unlo...nt-device.html

Feedback Score
    I think I know what happened.

It was probably purchased from Sprint on an 18 month lease, for example.

Sprint says their lease agreement with the original owner still applies during the full 18 months, even if the original owner pays off the balance early and gets it unlocked. I think the original owner may still have upgrade rights etc. at the end of the 18 months.

During this time, they will unlock it for the original owner only. If it is reactivated on Sprint during this period, it will be re-locked and only the original owner can request it be unlocked.

This was the case for their Essential offer and people are getting that result.

Sprint suggests a prospective buyers of a used Sprint phone should contact it before buying to check if this applies.
    Last edited by comintel; 04-04-2018 at 06:43 AM.

Device(s)
    S9+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I had this EXACT same thing happen. I bought a Sprint Essential phone on eBay, went through hell trying to get it moved to my account, but then used it for 2 full months without any issue. Since it was over 50 days, I requested it to be unlocked and they told me that only the original owner could request it. I tried being firm that I bought this phone, went through a hassle to get it on my account, and they wouldn't budge.

When I asked them why they said they needed to make sure the original owner didn't have any outstanding payments, which doesn't make sense because they checked that before they could activate it on my account 2 months previously.

I got lucky though in that the guy I bought it from agreed to call Sprint and then had it unlocked for me.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    I have always heard that the original owner must request the unlock, this is why I always request mine before selling my devices.

Sent from my SM-G960U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwrunyon41722 View Post
    I have always heard that the original owner must request the unlock, this is why I always request mine before selling my devices.

Yes but Sprint is relocking at the point when/if the second owner next activates it on Sprint if the original lease is not up, in the case of unexpired fixed term lease agreements with that provision, even if the original owner paid the full balance and unlocked it before selling it to the second owner. That is what people are complaining about.

At that point, after it is relocked, only the original owner (who is still under the lease contract in Sprint's view) can request a repeat unlock. He will have certain upgrade rights etc. at the end of the lease period, and in exchange for that, Sprint will not allow him to transfer the phone permanently unlocked until the lease ends.

This is what buyers of flipped phones sold originally under the Essential promo are encountering. A lot of people bought these phones under Sprint's extremely-discounted 18 month lease promo to flip them on Ebay. Sprint has put some roadblocks in their way.
    Last edited by comintel; 04-04-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    Yes but Sprint is relocking at the point when/if the second owner next activates it on Sprint if the original lease is not up, in the case of unexpired fixed term lease agreements with that provision, even if the original owner paid the full balance and unlocked it before selling it to the second owner. That is what people are complaining about.

At that point, after it is relocked, only the original owner (who is still under the lease contract in Sprint's view) can request a repeat unlock. He will have certain upgrade rights etc. at the end of the lease period, and in exchange for that, Sprint will not allow him to transfer the phone permanently unlocked until the lease ends.

This is what buyers of flipped phones sold originally under the Essential promo are encountering. A lot of people bought these phones under Sprint's extremely-discounted 18 month lease promo to flip them on Ebay. Sprint has put some roadblocks in their way.
    The lease is over if the original owner paid the remaining lease payments and the buyout price to own the phone outright at the point of terminating the lease. Sprint will not domestically unlock until the lease and purchase price are paid. The lease price is equal to the retail price of the phone if you go to buy it outright from Sprint. If there are monthly credits, such as a lease one get one free, and the current customer wants to pay off their phones, they forfeit the credits that are to be applied to future billings and must pay whatever is remaining on the phone(s) minus what has already been paid. There has only been one deeply discounted device that I have seen and that was the essential phone around Christmas where the actual total price of the phone was discounted. If the original owner fulfilled their payments to sprint, either by terminating their lease early by paying the remaining amounts due or if they went full term and then exercised the buyout price at the end of the lease and they requested the phone to be unlocked, once it is unlocked Sprint has no reason to re lock the phone. If all contractual and lease obligations were met in any way then the lease is terminated, if they were not met then the phone will eventually be blacklisted and cant be used on most carriers without being cleared.

Feedback Score
    Sprint is weird when it comes to unlocks I payed my phone off and had it unlocked that means if I still use it to on the sprint network is going to relock ? I had it unlocked cause is a model a1661 and works on most gsm and cdma Bands so is in the future I want I’ll go prepaid another company etc .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jwrunyon41722 View Post
    The lease is over if the original owner paid the remaining lease payments and the buyout price to own the phone outright at the point of terminating the lease. Sprint will not domestically unlock until the lease and purchase price are paid. The lease price is equal to the retail price of the phone if you go to buy it outright from Sprint. If there are monthly credits, such as a lease one get one free, and the current customer wants to pay off their phones, they forfeit the credits that are to be applied to future billings and must pay whatever is remaining on the phone(s) minus what has already been paid. There has only been one deeply discounted device that I have seen and that was the essential phone around Christmas where the actual total price of the phone was discounted. If the original owner fulfilled their payments to sprint, either by terminating their lease early by paying the remaining amounts due or if they went full term and then exercised the buyout price at the end of the lease and they requested the phone to be unlocked, once it is unlocked Sprint has no reason to re lock the phone. If all contractual and lease obligations were met in any way then the lease is terminated, if they were not met then the phone will eventually be blacklisted and cant be used on most carriers without being cleared.

They are indeed being relocked according to numerous reports at
    https://www.reddit.com/r/essential/c...ked_to_sprint/
    and elsewhere.
    Last edited by comintel; 04-06-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This type of behavior is what alienates customers and motivates people to steal from companies like Sprint without feeling the slightest twinge of guilt.

What happens if it's paid off early and unlocked immediately and activated on a different carrier? How far is Sprint's reach? Can they relock the device back to Sprint even if it's already on another network (major carrier or MVNO on one of the other big three)? What if it's on a Sprint MVNO? Would it matter if the MVNO is Sprint-owned (Virgin or Boost)?

Assuming they can't relock to Sprint when the phone is either activated on a completely separate network or deactivated entirely, what happens if the 18-month anniversary comes and goes and then a year or two after that, somebody tries to put it back on Sprint postpaid?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    This type of behavior is what alienates customers and motivates people to steal from companies like Sprint without feeling the slightest twinge of guilt.

What happens if it's paid off early and unlocked immediately and activated on a different carrier? How far is Sprint's reach? Can they relock the device back to Sprint even if it's already on another network (major carrier or MVNO on one of the other big three)? What if it's on a Sprint MVNO? Would it matter if the MVNO is Sprint-owned (Virgin or Boost)?

Assuming they can't relock to Sprint when the phone is either activated on a completely separate network or deactivated entirely, what happens if the 18-month anniversary comes and goes and then a year or two after that, somebody tries to put it back on Sprint postpaid?
    It's not affected as long as it stays on a different carrier. People are only experiencing this when the move it back to Sprint. I do not know about Sprint MVNO's and subsidiaries - I have not seen that reported. I do not know those other details you mention either and was wondering myself. Presumably one could ask Sprint since they are fully admitting to this policy and saying it is simply a provision of the particular lease agreement.
    Last edited by comintel; 04-06-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Feedback Score
    Hey guys, thanks for the info. It was indeed an Essential phone, I didn't think the phone was of significance to mention, but I guess maybe it was. I wasn't aware of issues with this specific phone, I thought maybe it was just standard policy with sprint. So far the only additional info they have given me is it shows unlocked on their system, which isn't currently true. Seems as though it was unlocked at one point, but got re-locked after I activated it on sprint. There seems to still be a way to unlock this, if I want to take the time to try, but I wanted to try the official way through sprint first.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that if Sprint blacklisted the phone you cannot use the phone with any carrier in the US.

Sent from my SM-G935P using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast