Thread: Unlimited data. Anyone using more now?

Feedback Score

Unlimited data. Anyone using more now?

Since they killed the 5/$100 deal I switched my family to the unlimited 2. We're planning on moving to another property this summer and won't have access to a real high speed connection. I've since turned wifi off on my phone as a result. I'm startin averaging around 1GB a day. This is with no tethering which I will be doing for TV streaming when we move. That'll be done on my 4th line, so it won't bother my phone usage. Biggest concern is Kodi is going to be unusable on the 3Mb connection. I know Netflix will stream fine, but I've never paid for it and don't intend on starting of I can avoid it. Anyway. I don't watch YouTube on my phone. The extent of my social media use is to list things for sale and to buy. Whisper is my biggest data hog, which I guess is their ads. Previously I was always under the 5GB mark using my home internet. Casual surfing at 3Mb is completely tolerable. Has anyone tried to go without home internet? That's more than $1000/yr. Anyone else's data really skyrocket after the switch to unlimited 2?

Feedback Score
    I'm on the regular unlimited (8mb) plan and don't use wifi ever as I live out in the boonies and it's Verizon Hotspot. I stream Netflix/hulu/kodi/mobdro without much of an issue. Not sure about the 2 plan though.

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Don't know if you're referring to authorized(paid) tethering/hotspot or unauthorized. If unauthorized, just try to be smart about it. Here's a nice video with some tips/advice.

https://youtu.be/dAXzGFP1w5g

I've been on unlimited 2 since Jan 1 as my only internet service. Guess I was not so smart about it and got busted/suspended. Wish I had seen the video earlier on top of just using good common sense.

Got service restored immediately but now, of course, scared to hotspot on this account. Will probably start with a new account in a couple months and start fresh again. Phone number not important.

Went from using just under 100Gb in Jan to about 300 near the end of March when busted. Lots of hotspot.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    AT&T has unlimited hotspot option in grandfathered unlimited plus plan. You can still rent a hotspot line from eBay for around $50. That will cut down your Internet cost at least by 1/3.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    Don't know if you're referring to authorized(paid) tethering/hotspot or unauthorized. If unauthorized, just try to be smart about it. Here's a nice video with some tips/advice.

https://youtu.be/dAXzGFP1w5g

I've been on unlimited 2 since Jan 1 as my only internet service. Guess I was not so smart about it and got busted/suspended. Wish I had seen the video earlier on top of just using good common sense.

Got service restored immediately but now, of course, scared to hotspot on this account. Will probably start with a new account in a couple months and start fresh again. Phone number not important.

Went from using just under 100Gb in Jan to about 300 near the end of March when busted. Lots of hotspot.

Guy in this video has good info but he acts like a stoner LOL

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    Guy in this video has good info but he acts like a stoner LOL
    He has a rock band, I believe. Pretty sure I've seen videos of him playing guitar. Has a lot of videos on you tube about mobile phones. Doesn't come across as a stoner at all.

By the way, I only meant to post a link. Didn't intend to post actual video. Don't know how to correct so will probably delete the video soon.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gwite View Post
    By the way, I only meant to post a link. Didn't intend to post actual video. Don't know how to correct so will probably delete the video soon.

Mobile app shows video, web browser shows just a link, weird

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Yes, prior to moving to ul2 a few months ago, I always made it a point to use wifi, if possible, and still will, but apparently I'm not doing do, as my data use when from 4 to 5 gb month, to 31 last month. As blacksurfer mentioned in a review of ul2 a few months ago, I just don't worry about it anymore. Really happy with it, price wise and otherwise.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    Yes, prior to moving to ul2 a few months ago, I always made it a point to use wifi, if possible, and still will, but apparently I'm not doing do, as my data use when from 4 to 5 gb month, to 31 last month. As blacksurfer mentioned in a review of ul2 a few months ago, I just don't worry about it anymore. Really happy with it, price wise and otherwise.
    I specifically quite using it at stores that offer it. I don't even mess with turning it back on after. It used to decimate battery on PPC, but I'm not sure it changes anything now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach View Post
    Since they killed the 5/$100 deal I switched my family to the unlimited 2. We're planning on moving to another property this summer and won't have access to a real high speed connection. I've since turned wifi off on my phone as a result. I'm startin averaging around 1GB a day. This is with no tethering which I will be doing for TV streaming when we move. That'll be done on my 4th line, so it won't bother my phone usage. Biggest concern is Kodi is going to be unusable on the 3Mb connection. I know Netflix will stream fine, but I've never paid for it and don't intend on starting of I can avoid it. Anyway. I don't watch YouTube on my phone. The extent of my social media use is to list things for sale and to buy. Whisper is my biggest data hog, which I guess is their ads. Previously I was always under the 5GB mark using my home internet. Casual surfing at 3Mb is completely tolerable. Has anyone tried to go without home internet? That's more than $1000/yr. Anyone else's data really skyrocket after the switch to unlimited 2?
    Paragraphs can be your friends.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Paragraphs can be your friends.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app
    Thanks B1geast. I'll notate this in the "very productive comments" column of my ledger. I've kept it since I learned to write and never letit leave my sight. It is filled with life lessons that I'll be sure to pass on to my son; as they are all important things every man should know. Finally you've made a positive contribution to the forum! We shall all rejoice.