Thread: Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score

Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Hello Google Voice users,

Be the first to try out calling over Wi-Fi and mobile data directly from the Google Voice apps!

Wi-Fi calling lets you:

Reduce roaming charges when you’re on the go

Keep in touch even when you have poor cell service

Make calls from any device, not just your phone

Supported platforms: Android & Web. iOS support coming soon!
    https://productforums.google.com/for...21Y/discussion

Known issues:
    Obihai devices won’t work if you enable calling over Wi-Fi (e.g. Incoming calls won’t ring your Obihai phone if you turn on calling over Wi-Fi and mobile data)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the information.

I wonder how long it will take for me to receive the email and be able to update the Google Voice app through the Play Store?

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    I signed up, we shall see

Not that anyone cares, I just wanted to get notifications for this thread.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    As long as Hangouts keeps working, I'm staying far, far away from the GV app and this supposed WiFi calling!

I do that EVERY DAY with Hangouts, and I sure wouldn't want to ruin how my Obi200 works!

As it is now, Hangouts rings on my cell phone, tablet, and home phones powered by my Obi200, all at the same time.

As a reminder to anybody reading this, I have no real phone #s, just 2 GV #s, with both #s set up on my cell phone, tablet, and Obi200 to power my home phones.

Feedback Score
    From

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...lling-feature/

"Right now, Google Voice users can register their accounts for beta access to data-based calls. For the moment, the feature still doesn't appear to be live, but once Google's ready to flip the switch, those users should receive emails letting them know precisely how they can get started."

So we might be waiting for some time to get the email and beta app.

Feedback Score
    There's a way to subscribe to thread notifications without posting

Quote Originally Posted by robertjglenn View Post
    I signed up, we shall see

Not that anyone cares, I just wanted to get notifications for this thread.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use my google voice # to forward to the cell when out, and to the pbx when home. The latter requires google chat to be one of the selected forwarding options (in legacy setup). My guess is if this beta doesn't work with obi then it probably won't work with the pbx either (asterisk/motif).

I do see a new google voice update available with a release date of 1969. Holding off for now.

Device(s)
    Pixel 2 XL Turbo 2
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    As long as Hangouts keeps working, I'm staying far, far away from the GV app and this supposed WiFi calling!
    Likewise. However, as Google seems to be refocusing Hangouts towards the enterprise my guess is that at some point in the future Hangouts will no longer work with Google Voice. We may ultimately be forced into using the GV app.

I really hope Google doesn't end up crippling our OBi devices.

Feedback Score
    Ignore the obviously bogus release date. The "updated on" date is February 6, 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I use my google voice # to forward to the cell when out, and to the pbx when home. The latter requires google chat to be one of the selected forwarding options (in legacy setup). I'm guess this beta doesn't work with obi then it probably won't work with the pbx either (asterisk/motif).

I do see a new google voice update available with a release date of 1969. Holding off for now.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I'm worried. I love Hangouts, receiving/making calls with my GV #s on all my devices, and using my Obi200 for my home phones. I don't want it to change.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I would think that ObiHai is fairly interested in keeping their ATAs buzzing with GV service. It may be too early to think that there's no intention to maintain that capability. Although any transition may have a few bumps. But get it out of Beta first.

Feedback Score
    New Google Voice app April 5 version available on Play Store for me. Per change log it includes a dial pad.

This isn't the beta version mentioned in the OP.

Feedback Score
    Decided to singup for the beta and give it a try.

I'm guessing anyone who visited the annoucement link saw the full list of known issues, but for those that haven't here it is:

Known Issues
    • Obihai devices won’t work if you enable calling over Wi-Fi (e.g. Incoming calls won’t ring your Obihai phone if you turn on calling over Wi-Fi and mobile data)
    • You won’t be able to use incoming call options (call recording & call transfer) when you enable calling over Wi-Fi and mobile data
    • On your computer, Wi-Fi calling only work with Chrome. Support for Firefox, Safari and Edge coming soon!
    • Android bluetooth support:
      • You won't be able to use the buttons on your bluetooth device to answer calls or hang up
      • Unable to use earpiece mode when a bluetooth device is paired
      • Depending on your Android version, your calls might drop if you try to switch between Bluetooth and speakerphone.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Must be a run-up prep for further changes, but I've received GV updates each of the last two days.

Carrier(s)
    back on US Mobile for the time being
    Feedback Score
    What about call quality? The reason I don't use Hangouts for calls is because when I used it before, people would say that it sounds like I'm talking to them from inside a cave. I switched back to Google Voice and have calls ring to my handset's native number.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast