Page 35 of 65 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNO!!! View Post
    I am sure rhat I registered for the beta but I never got an email telling me that I can use wifi calling on the gv app.

Thanks batcave
    There have been several reports of that. I don't know if certain people were just unlucky, or if there was some specific reason that Google didn't approve some requests.

In any event, those that didn't get approved and those of us that never applied will just have to wait until the GV app WiFi/data calling is out of beta. That's okay with me, since I use GV+Hangouts over data for all of my voice/SMS/MMS communication on my phones and tablet, and I don't need any complications that could come from using a beta feature.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    IMO, the improvement in call quality is worth it. Day and night compared to hangouts. But still has some frustrating bugs, like notifications for missed calls that never rang.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I'm not on the Beta, but even with my current GV setup I get notification of missed calls (not overtly; I've disallowed that) in my Calls list in the app, and they never rang. Always spam though. Maybe those likely robo-callers have a way of detecting what they connect to and immediately drop the call when confronted with a whiff of GV.

I've never had a consistently good calling experience with Hangouts (dropouts and digital audio anomalies), so I'd like to get in on whatever new is coming to us through the GV app that would improve this. Bring it, GV!

Device(s)
    LG Fiesta 2, Samsung J3 Sky, Core Prime
    Carrier(s)
    GV, TF, TW (VZW)
    Feedback Score
    Earlier today I was checking the settings in my secondary GV account and I noticed that the Wi-Fi calling option is now available. I honestly don't remember if I requested beta access for this account, but I know I never received an email from Google saying that my account was enabled. Maybe they are slowly rolling it out to everyone?

Update: When I go to the beta sign-up page, it doesn't say that I have already responded, so now I'm 100% sure that I didn't request beta access for this account.
    Last edited by Purple Rain; 01-11-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rain View Post
    Earlier today I was checking the settings in my secondary GV account and I noticed that the Wi-Fi calling option is now available. I honestly don't remember if I requested beta access for this account, but I know I never received an email from Google saying that my account was enabled. Maybe they are slowly rolling it out to everyone?
    I've noticed in the past two days that the app no longer asks me about the call quality at the end of each call. Maybe the beta program is done and everyone can use it now!

Feedback Score
    Must we first go to google play app and update the GV app for the change to take place?

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Must we first go to google play app and update thr GV app for the change to take place?
    Only one way to find out.

Feedback Score
    Must we first go to google play app and update thr GV app for the change to take place?
    I don't see Wifi calling in my GV app. Play Store is not offering an update for the app.

What version of the app are folks seeing Wifi calling without being in the beta group? Mine is 2018.50.224208644.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    I don't see Wifi calling in my GV app. Play Store is not offering an update for the app.

What version of the app are folks seeing Wifi calling without being in the beta group? Mine is 2018.50.224208644.
    I have the same version, and I think that it is not beta, and it does not give me the option for calling via wifi or data.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Must we first go to google play app and update the GV app for the change to take place?
    I have the same version, and I think that it is not beta, and it does not give me the option for calling via wifi or data.
    There's only one app. There is no special version for wifi/data calling.
    If you have updated in the last 6 months you have the required version.

Way back at the start of the beta test they said to update to make sure you had the latest version which is when they added support to the app.

Every update since then has included it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    There's only one app. There is no special version for wifi/data calling.
    If you have updated in the last 6 months you have the required version.

Way back at the start of the beta test they said to update to make sure you had the latest version which is when they added support to the app.

Every update since then has included it.
    Thanks.

And I guess once google rolls out data/wifi calling for the non beta testers, it should automatically list that option or will it then require me to update again?

Device(s)
    OnePlus 5, Nexus 5X , Jelly Pro
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM, FreedomPop, AT&T, Tracfone, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by labjr View Post
    I've noticed in the past two days that the app no longer asks me about the call quality at the end of each call. Maybe the beta program is done and everyone can use it now!
    Still asking me about the quality of calls. And my wife's phone does not have the "Make and receive calls" option. We do have the same GV build number.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    And I guess once google rolls out data/wifi calling for the non beta testers, it should automatically list that option or will it then require me to update again?
    No one knows, but I expect they will release an update to announce the new feature and remove the internal checks for the beta users.

But they could easily enable it on all accounts quietly.

Device(s)
    LG Fiesta 2, Samsung J3 Sky, Core Prime
    Carrier(s)
    GV, TF, TW (VZW)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post

Yes, that is the same version I have.

I didn't see a banner or prompt, the setting just appeared in my account. Also, my desktop GV settings doesn't show the Wi-Fi calling settings yet, just the GV app.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Rain View Post
    Yes, that is the same version I have.

I didn't see a banner or prompt, the setting just appeared in my account. Also, my desktop GV settings doesn't show the Wi-Fi calling settings yet, just the GV app.
    Have you made any calls? How do you like it?

BTW, when I go to Google voice web site using my browser. The first thing I see is "Make A Call" with a green icon on the left.

https://voice.google.com/calls

Page 35 of 65 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast