Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 19 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1041

Thread: Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by taoman View Post
    Both TextNow and Textfree are OTT apps that use VoIP. Neither will work to verify a new GV number.
    Are there any free phone numbers that will work for Craigslist, Banks etc. for text verification?

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by labjr View Post
    Are there any free phone numbers that will work for Craigslist, Banks etc. for text verification?
    In my experience it depends on the particular business sending the SMS. Google Voice works for many but not all businesses. For instance, my local Walmart pharmacy used to send texts to GV but then stopped doing it. I tested and retested with different GV numbers. So I had to use my real cell phone number. Switched to using Costco pharmacy and GV works fine. My credit union didn't used to accept Google Voice. Now they do. Go figure.

Device(s)
    LG Tribute HD
    Carrier(s)
    TPO
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your replies.

I am wondering , why GV shy away from VOIP numbers. We find many land line operators/customers opted for VOIP based services, many mobile provides like Xfinity, freedompop etc based their services on VOIP.

WiFi based GV is again VOIP. Is it correct ?

If GV asking their users to find non voip mobile number for verification, it will be a hard proposition. GV users are relying on GV as an alternate to mobile plan.

Why is GV asking them to depend on traditional mobile plan to sign up for GV?

If GV is not liking VOIP based verification, why not provide an alternate option to get verification via email ?

Thanks for looking into our issues.

Device(s)
    Pixel2 XL iPhone SE
    Carrier(s)
    VZW prepaid, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMDHoward View Post

I am wondering , why GV shy away from VOIP numbers.
    Fraud. Fraud is easier and much more prevalent in the VoIP world than either the landline or cellular phone worlds. Google used to be much more lenient in what kind of numbers could be used to verify a GV number. Because of bad actors Google has had to tighten their requirements to get a GV number. Fraud is a huge issue for all VoIP providers including Google.

Quote Originally Posted by RIMDHoward View Post
    If GV asking their users to find non voip mobile number for verification, it will be a hard proposition.
    Allow me to play Devil's Advocate or put another way........Google's perspective:

It shouldn't be "a hard proposition." Google Voice is a call forwarding and voicemail telephone service that also supports voice and text. By definition, you should already have a valid landline or mobile number to forward to. The reason you don't is you've already used your valid number(s) on other Google Voice account(s).

From Google Voice Acceptable Use Policy:
    1. Do not create multiple user accounts, and do not create user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretenses.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    If Google didn't WANT people to use their GV # as a replacement to a traditional phone #, why has Google allowed usage for many years over data only using Hangouts, and more recently with the GV app?

I have used my primary GV # since 2009, I ported my old landline to GV in 2015, and I haven't had a real cell phone # since March, 2017 when I went data only for my GV #s.

I understand RIMDHoward's frustration with Google's requirement to have a real phone # to get a new GV #, since Google has given the ability to use a GV # over data only, with no forwarding to a real phone # required, for many years now.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    With all that said, the fact remains that GV requires a real phone # temporarily in order to get a new GV #.

As I stated in another thread started by RIMDHoward, you can activate a temporary line on an MVNO such as PagePlus or H2O for $10, or any other prepaid service with real phone #s with a low startup cost, to use for GV verification, and then just let it expire.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    My GV # currently works for all those kinds of items.

I did have to work with Uber to get them to "authorize" my GV #, but since they did, it works fine to order rides.

I USED to have trouble with texted authorizations with my Chase CC, but it started working normally within the last year, but I currently don't have any Chase deposit accounts. I also don't have any Wells Fargo accounts. But I do have accounts with a lot of other major and minor institutions and businesses, and my GV # works for all of them.

I can't say for sure that a GV # will work as well for everyone for these kinds of text verifications, but it works well for me.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    My GV # currently works for all those kinds of items.

I did have to work with Uber to get them to "authorize" my GV #, but since they did, it works fine to order rides.

I USED to have trouble with texted authorizations with my Chase CC, but it started working normally within the last year, but I currently don't have any Chase deposit accounts. I also don't have any Wells Fargo accounts. But I do have accounts with a lot of other major and minor institutions and businesses, and my GV # works for all of them.

I can't say for sure that a GV # will work as well for everyone for these kinds of text verifications, but it works well for me.
    My GV# works with some banks but not others. I receive no text when it sends a two factor authentication code. Craigslist knows immediately that it's VOIP. Says "Invalid Number".
    Last edited by labjr; 12-02-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    My GV# works with some banks but not others. I receive no text when it sends a two factor authentication code. Craisgslist knows immediately that it's VOIP. Says "Invalid Number".
    When do you need a phone # on CL? All I know is that I use CL to sell things, and I've never had any trouble. Actually, I looked at my CL settings and don't even see a place in the settings for a phone #.

Or is it when creating a listing? Actually, I never included a phone # for anything I've sold, so maybe that's where the problem comes?

EDIT
    No, that's not it, either. I just created a test listing and included my GV #, and it posted fine, and my # was available to be seen in the published listing.

Where/how does the problem with a GV # and CL happen? Thanks.

Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I haven't used Craigslist in a while. But occasionally it would ask for a # when creating listing for services. Other web sites have rejected GV# too. I hardly use Craigslist for listings anymore since they started charging for all service listings. I think I got one customer in a year. Not worth paying for. They need to get with the times.

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Has this ever happened to anyone.? You click to respond to a text but someone else messages you and the names displayed get confused and you respond to the wrong person?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've done this on the computer a few times. You can refresh by pulling down from the top on the main conversation view.

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    I've done this on the computer a few times. You can refresh by pulling down from the top on the main conversation view.

This happens on my phone. I send texts to the wrong person. Creates really awkward situations
    Last edited by jmsilver99; 12-28-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T, Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsilver99 View Post
    You click to respond to a text but someone else messages you and the names displayed get confused and you respond to the wrong person?
    Yeah, when I was lit AF 😁🥂
    Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T817T on AT&T
    Galaxy S7 on StraightTalk (AT&T)

Device(s)
    s8/s8+/Nexus5x
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Other then forwarding messages to my mobile number , are there any other apps other than Google Voice that you can you for messaging with your google voice account?

Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 19 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 LastLast