LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Mine says that when DND is on too.
    But it's more than just a silent ringer.

Google changed android to DND instead of the old modes. And how it works has changed a few times.

Again, DND Priority only allows you to set what can push through. Like messages or calls from contacts or "starred" contacts.

Or you can reduce volume to vibrate mode (per the image above) and it'll vibrate and give answer screen.

My guess is the other apps mentioned use media volume instead of ringer which isn't part of DND (so you can play media and bot be disturbed with notifications)
    I'm not sure. Hangouts and TextNow don't ring or vibrate when a call comes in when the devices are on silent (or DND). They simply light up the screen and show the answer button, whereas nothing happens with the GV app in the same scenario.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    For a couple of weeks now, trying to dial using WiFi on a GV device that doesn't have a carrier on it (a couple of tablets and phones w/o SIMs) gets an error- is this happening to anyone else? I hope this is yet another temporary GV bug (like when all GV calls were speakerphone-only a few weeks back) and not a permanent restriction, as this used to work quite well (I would dial from my tablet all the time, and even have a few handsets strewn across the house to get/make calls on).

I can answer a call that comes thru on my GV number from these devices, I just can no longer make a call from them.
    Outgoing calls are working for me using the GV app over data only.

I didn't experience the calls over speakerphone only. But I'm using an older version of the app.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    My tablet is on the fritz, but calling out works fine on my phone over wifi in airplane mode.

I also didn't have the speakerphone issue and I stay updated.

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    I'm not sure. Hangouts and TextNow don't ring or vibrate when a call comes in when the devices are on silent (or DND). They simply light up the screen and show the answer button, whereas nothing happens with the GV app in the same scenario.
    Like I said, in priority mode, allowing calls in some way, GV rings and wakes (and for me.
    It rings at the volume setting prior to DND so if I turn down to vibrate (as shown above) first it doesn't ring, just wake and vibrate.

I don't use TextNow and don't have Hangouts installed anymore.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Like I said, in priority mode, allowing calls in some way, GV rings and wakes (and for me.
    It rings at the volume setting prior to DND so if I turn down to vibrate (as shown above) first it doesn't ring, just wake and vibrate.

I don't use TextNow and don't have Hangouts installed anymore.
    Okay. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I'll have to look into this more at a later date, because I still don't get the difference between "Ringer set to silent" and "Do not disturb". I'll probably wait until 1) and 2) above are fixed before I do, but at least you've given info that should help me get it set up properly if/when the time comes.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Setting ringer to silent just turn the volume down (ringer and notifications). You can only do that with volume keys (at least on the E4/E4+).

First it'll go to vibrate only.

All on screen notifications continue. It doesn't affect media volume or alarms.

Volume down again, ot select from notification bar gets DND.

That disables vibrate too, depending on which of the 3 DND modes you use.

The old silent/vibrate modes were different.

There's also a setting in notifications to control individual apps but I haven't worked with it yet.

I think the last one allows the app to override DND and always notify.

This might help some.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/260225/and...ngs-explained/

Device(s)
    One+5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by kencrudup View Post
    For a couple of weeks now, trying to dial using WiFi on a GV device that doesn't have a carrier on it (a couple of tablets and phones w/o SIMs) gets an error- is this happening to anyone else?
    I have had this same problem in the past on an ASUS tablet that doesn't have a SIM inserted.
    I solved it by: Long-press the app icon> Select "App Info"> "Force Stop."

Feedback Score
    vBActivity - Stats
    vBActivity - Bars
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Have there been any improvements to the GV app lately?

Below are the things about the GV app that keep me using Hangouts, which still works perfectly for me.

But since Hangouts will probably eventually be changed by Google, perhaps to the extent that I'll need to switch to the GV app, I'm still very interested in getting the GV app to work properly for my uses.

1) In the Android GV app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with "Other" next to the number, which doesn't work well for my usage. With the Hangouts app, when searching contacts, ALL numbers with a custom name are listed with THAT CUSTOM NAME next to the number, which is how it SHOULD be in the GV app, too.

2) On any of the three phones and 1 tablet I've tested the GV app with, when I click on a phone number on a web page, or from within any other app, including the SimpleNote app, I am presented with multiple apps on my phone that can place a phone call, including Phone, Hangouts, and TextNow. The option to place the call with the GV app is MISSING! There is NO WAY to initiate a call as described above using the Android GV app! This is a very serious issue for me.

3) The earpiece volume is lower using the GV app on some devices compared to Hangouts, enough to be an annoyance on devices that don't have the best earpiece volume.
    @Boz1 - Finally I found where and how I saw the GV option when dialing. I had to load the FP app and within that app when I choose the dialpad it asks me how I want to make the call and GV shows as an option. Sorry for the delayed reply but for the life of me I couldn't replicate the GV option 'cause I don't use the FP app.

Further, within the GV call settings there is an option "Calls started from this device's phone app", I have "Use your Google Voice number" selected. This is what I was speaking of when asking if GV was set as default.

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67