Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Went back to AT&T Prepaid

Feedback Score

Went back to AT&T Prepaid

After a couple years with Cricket -- and no particular complaints -- I went back to AT&T Prepaid which is where I was (GoPhone) before porting to Cricket. It was amazingly easy, done at a local AT&T store in about 10 minutes. I was with the $40 Cricket plan that cost $35 with autopay. On AT&T, I'm on their $45 plan and with AT&T autopay plus Callingmart I can get it down to $36 per month. Although I'll now get 6Gb as opposed to 5Gb, that alone would not be enough for me to change. The reasons why I did are:

- Works in Canada instead of having to upgrade & downgrade my Cricket plan.
    - Supports Wifi hotspot, which I've often wanted in order to use my tablet when Wifi isn't available.
    - Possible higher priority when towers are congested, fewer missed calls.

I've also noticed that, on my Pixel 2 phone, MMS support worked right away. On Cricket, there were problems with duplicate APNs being defined. I think it's specific to these phones, but I was never able to get it to consistently keep working.

Feedback Score
    Good call, no throttling either. Its truly amazing anyone would pay full price for crippled service.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score

Went back to AT&T Prepaid

Great for a single line. I’m staying since I’m paying $25 per line with Canada/Mexico access with unlimited data (I average 15gb) on Cricket group plan. With eBay or Best Buy discount (15-20%) it averages $21 per month. I hardly see a need for hotspot with WiFi everywhere, so I might pay for one month a year.
    Get $25 Cricket referral credit! Same AT&T signal for a lot less! Click here!

Feedback Score
    I may follow you if I can't keep getting the Cricket 40 for around $31.00. $36.00 for the At&t Prepaid 45 is really solid and I wouldn't have to keep finding phones that can Hotspot on Cricket. I also have an H2o line but I haven't looked at their plans in a while.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rochrunner View Post
    After a couple years with Cricket -- and no particular complaints -- I went back to AT&T Prepaid which is where I was (GoPhone) before porting to Cricket. It was amazingly easy, done at a local AT&T store in about 10 minutes. I was with the $40 Cricket plan that cost $35 with autopay. On AT&T, I'm on their $45 plan and with AT&T autopay plus Callingmart I can get it down to $36 per month. Although I'll now get 6Gb as opposed to 5Gb, that alone would not be enough for me to change
    I'm not familiar with ATT Prepaid pricing, so I'll ask the dumb question: that $36 (using autopay and Callingmart) includes all taxes/fees?

Feedback Score
    There are many options for single line... most are on Cricket for the 4-5 line savings, along with individual line data buckets all on one account. If I were single line, I would shop around, too. For our family Cricket works. That said, the differences are narrowing these days.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-tmb rugby 3
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by energyx View Post
    There are many options for single line... most are on Cricket for the 4-5 line savings, along with individual line data buckets all on one account. If I were single line, I would shop around, too. For our family Cricket works. That said, the differences are narrowing these days.
    This thread while accurate, is restating the obvious, as the true bargain with cricket is with either a 4 or 5 line accounts(this was/is true for postpaid plans too). This should be readily obvious to anyone checking their rate plans.
    While there are reasons why someone might not want to either join or start a group, I've done both, simply for the net savings, ie, you'll save more with a group plan than all this other crap combined.

Of course, this was more obvious with the 5/$100 plan, as the last two only cost $10 more than the first three, however the economics are still there.

Whatever.
    Last edited by plane; 04-05-2018 at 05:18 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brg View Post
    I'm not familiar with ATT Prepaid pricing, so I'll ask the dumb question: that $36 (using autopay and Callingmart) includes all taxes/fees?
    Not a dumb question at all, and if you let AT&T autobill you, you do end up paying tax + fees. When I signed up at the store, they charged me for the $40 first month w/autopay discount, but my credit card was charged $44.40 ($2.40 tax, $2.00 fees). Callingmart gets around that, charges only what they advertise, and since they put it directly into my AT&T account, AT&T just takes the $40 credit out of my account without taxes or fees.

That was one reason I went with Cricket from GoPhone a few years ago: Cricket's monthly charge is all-inclusive.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    If I had a single line, being cheap, I would either buy an H2O preloaded sim each month from EBay for about $10 and use it with google voice to forward number or buy the annual 5gb Red pocket plan for $17 for 5gb.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Good call, no throttling either. Its truly amazing anyone would pay full price for crippled service.
    When looking at AT&T website, they show all plans are limited or prioritized. I think the only way you can get true unlimited is by "renting" an old AT&T grandfathered plan.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by passport220 View Post
    When looking at AT&T website, they show all plans are limited or prioritized. I think the only way you can get true unlimited is by "renting" an old AT&T grandfathered plan.
    i may get this plan later on this summer - https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...tpot-tethering

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    If I had a single line, being cheap, I would either buy an H2O preloaded sim each month from EBay for about $10 and use it with google voice to forward number or buy the annual 5gb Red pocket plan for $17 for 5gb.
    Good for you, weird.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    Yesterday I ported my Cricket number to the Red Pocket $240 Ultimate Ebay plan, unlimited everything with the first 5GB unthrottled. I was with Cricket (AIO) for four years. I hope I don't regret the move. Red Pocket is bare bones compared to Cricket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    Guess it depends on your definition of "full price". If you are on any prepaid mvno or prepaid company, you are paying less than full price for a service that's crippled in some way. You use xfinity mobile, you are paying less than full price for crippled Verizon wireless service. Whether or not the crippled service is worth the savings or not is entirely up to the user.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by garymeter48 View Post
    Yesterday I ported my Cricket number to the Red Pocket $240 Ultimate Ebay plan, unlimited everything with the first 5GB unthrottled. I was with Cricket (AIO) for four years. I hope I don't regret the move. Red Pocket is bare bones compared to Cricket.
    How is Red Pocket bare bones compared to Cricket? ATT Red Pocket has faster speeds, free international calling, some roaming & no missed calls.

Sent from my Moto G Play using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast