Thread: Use Moto G6 on Tracfone

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Use Moto G6 on Tracfone

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S6 which I purchased from Tracfone.

I am interested in purchasing a Moto G6 and transferring my Tracfone service to it. The G6 won't launch for another couple of weeks, but the specs on it are available online.

I am interested in transferring my service while minimizing the number of potential problems during the transfer process. Could I just transfer the SIM from the S6 to the G6? Are there any issues or problems that may arise?

Thanks!

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitzer18 View Post
    I am interested in transferring my service while minimizing the number of potential problems during the transfer process. Could I just transfer the SIM from the S6 to the G6? Are there any issues or problems that may arise?
    Transferring SIM from a TF-branded phone to another phone usually works but it causes some "entanglement". TF pairs the SIM number to the phone's serial number. That basically keeps the S6 from being used by another user. If you sell or give away the S6 but keeps using the S6 SIM in another phone, that SIM COULD be deactivated when the new owner tries to activate the S6 with another SIM. It happened to someone here in the forum. It's better to just go through the transfer process, using Chat and other tips previously given in this forum.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, @hpham I could try transferring the SIM but leaving the S6 unactivated. Any chance that might work? I'm trying to avoid problems caused by Tracfone customer service. If the SIM transfer fails, I could call c/s, I suppose.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, @hpham I could try transferring the SIM but leaving the S6 unactivated. Any chance that might work? I'm trying to avoid problems caused by Tracfone customer service. If the SIM transfer fails, I could call c/s, I suppose.
    I assume "transferring SIM" here means "swapping SIM". Yes, you can swap SIM and stash the S6 away. It would be a waste of a good phone, but it's yours and you can do whatever you wish with it.

Feedback Score
    I could try transferring the SIM but leaving the S6 unactivated. Any chance that might work? I'm trying to avoid problems caused by Tracfone customer service. If the SIM transfer fails, I could call c/s, I suppose.
    I agree that moving (swapping) the S6 SIM to another phone would not be a good idea. Just do a normal service transfer, and the S6 will be deactivated and freed up for future reactivation. It might not be possible to reactivate the S6 on another TracFone company, because they have the IMEI recorded as a TracFone model.

Device(s)
    LG G4, Samsung Galaxy S6, Moto G5 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone,T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I moved my sim from a Tracfone LG Premier into an LG G4 last year - no problems at all. I didn't have to do anything with Tracfone - I just kept the Premier as a backup.