Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I am getting ready to leave AT&T for T-Mobile

Device(s)
    Iphone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

I am getting ready to leave AT&T for T-Mobile

I am in the San Francisco Bay area, so I would hope the coverage would be at least comparable to AT&T if not better.

I will be bringing over 5 unlocked devices, and saving about 60 dollars a month by going to T-Mobile.

While the savings are a nice add on, the biggest motivation for making the move is the customer service for me has been getting worse and worse through the years, and I finally just had it.

While I am well aware that every carrier has their customer support issues, it just got too frustrating for me dealing with AT&T, whether it was their automated system to try and talk to a live human, being told incorrect information at least 50% of the time, or being danced around at the AT&T store after waiting for an hour to get support only to be told I have to go to Apple.

I am waiting for the SIMs to arrive today or tomorrow, and T-Mobile told me all I needed to do was put the T-Mobile SIMS in the phones, call T-Mobile to port the numbers over to T-Mobile, and that I wouldn't even need to call AT&T to cancel. I am a little skeptical about that, and will probably call AT&T regardless just to confirm that the account is closed, because in my experience if AT&T sees an opportunity to charge you they will. A few years back one of the phones on the account was lost, and I called AT&T to tell them it had been lost and to take that phone off of the account, and it took 3 months for that phone to finally get removed in spite of numerous calls. Needless to say they were only too glad to charge the line access fee on that lost phone each of those three months.

Maybe it is just the way I communicated to them, but I have had all kinds of issues similar to that with AT&T, and it is time I give T-Mobile a try.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    If you have not done so already, you might want to test out a T-Mobile MVNO, like MetroPCS or Lycamobile for a month just to be sure.
    What are the unlocked devices you plan to use on T-Mobile?
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    too many to list
    Carrier(s)
    virgin mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeslevine View Post
    I am in the San Francisco Bay area, so I would hope the coverage would be at least comparable to AT&T if not better.

I will be bringing over 5 unlocked devices, and saving about 60 dollars a month by going to T-Mobile.

While the savings are a nice add on, the biggest motivation for making the move is the customer service for me has been getting worse and worse through the years, and I finally just had it.

While I am well aware that every carrier has their customer support issues, it just got too frustrating for me dealing with AT&T, whether it was their automated system to try and talk to a live human, being told incorrect information at least 50% of the time, or being danced around at the AT&T store after waiting for an hour to get support only to be told I have to go to Apple.

I am waiting for the SIMs to arrive today or tomorrow, and T-Mobile told me all I needed to do was put the T-Mobile SIMS in the phones, call T-Mobile to port the numbers over to T-Mobile, and that I wouldn't even need to call AT&T to cancel. I am a little skeptical about that, and will probably call AT&T regardless just to confirm that the account is closed, because in my experience if AT&T sees an opportunity to charge you they will. A few years back one of the phones on the account was lost, and I called AT&T to tell them it had been lost and to take that phone off of the account, and it took 3 months for that phone to finally get removed in spite of numerous calls. Needless to say they were only too glad to charge the line access fee on that lost phone each of those three months.

Maybe it is just the way I communicated to them, but I have had all kinds of issues similar to that with AT&T, and it is time I give T-Mobile a try.
    t mobile customer service is bad that's all there is to say and corvage is some what OK

Sent from my Galaxy S9 Plus
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Feedback Score
    For me, the difference in customer service with T-Mobile is night and day. I’ve used all 4 carriers and I’ve found T-Mobile to have the best customer service. They also have the best coverage where I live and the lowest price (excluding Sprint, which isn’t even a viable option here).

I’m originally from the Bay Area and when I was there last year, T-Mobile worked fine. I have heard of some people having congestion issues in SF but didn’t experience that myself. I have an AT&T work phone and T-Mo has comparable service in the Bay Area. Of course, every area is different so YRVM.

Device(s)
    S9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

At the top of your page is says your current device is a "Iphone 3G". If your phone doesn't support LTE or Band 12 do not move to T-Mobile. Over 75% of voice calls on T-Mobile go over VoLTE. I am no fan of iPhones that have weaker reception in the first place.

Device(s)
    Samung S9 Plus Factory unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    TMOBILE USA ORANGE SPAIN
    Feedback Score

Hello i made the move last month but before doing so i tested the network with a prepaid sim card from T mobile Please keep in mind that att sim unlocked branded phones will not work with t mobile This is due to the fact that t mobile has re farmed their frequencies. The data and sms will work fine but the voice will default to 2G causing a disconnect. The ATT phones do not have the ability to default to LTE for voice. You can do a google search on this issue and you will find a lot of former att customers using their unlocked att branded phones having issues. So be prepared to buy new phones.. hope this helps

Device(s)
    Iphone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    If you have not done so already, you might want to test out a T-Mobile MVNO, like MetroPCS or Lycamobile for a month just to be sure.
    What are the unlocked devices you plan to use on T-Mobile?
    3 iphones, 1 ipad, and a hotspot router. I also have a Project Fi phone which utilizes T-Mobile, Sprint, and Cellular one, and coverage is reasonable with that, so I suspect it will be ok with the port. I hope so anyway.

Device(s)
    Iphone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    For me, the difference in customer service with T-Mobile is night and day. I’ve used all 4 carriers and I’ve found T-Mobile to have the best customer service. They also have the best coverage where I live and the lowest price (excluding Sprint, which isn’t even a viable option here).

I’m originally from the Bay Area and when I was there last year, T-Mobile worked fine. I have heard of some people having congestion issues in SF but didn’t experience that myself. I have an AT&T work phone and T-Mo has comparable service in the Bay Area. Of course, every area is different so YRVM.
    If it is anything like when I was signing up for their service, I will be quite happy.

Thanks

Device(s)
    Iphone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyman1450 View Post
    Hello i made the move last month but before doing so i tested the network with a prepaid sim card from T mobile Please keep in mind that att sim unlocked branded phones will not work with t mobile This is due to the fact that t mobile has re farmed their frequencies. The data and sms will work fine but the voice will default to 2G causing a disconnect. The ATT phones do not have the ability to default to LTE for voice. You can do a google search on this issue and you will find a lot of former att customers using their unlocked att branded phones having issues. So be prepared to buy new phones.. hope this helps
    Wow, they shipped the SIMs yesterday, so I need to check that out. The phones are unlocked iPhone 6+, and everything I read indicates both T-Mobile and AT&T use band 4 for LTE. I appreciate the information but need to check it out. if there is an issue, I won't even activate.

It is strange though, when I put my Project Fi sim in my IPhone, and set voice and data to LTE, I don't seem to have a problem making calls.

The project Fi utilizes T-Mobile, cellular one, and sprint
    Last edited by jeslevine; 04-06-2018 at 04:45 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    3 iphones, 1 ipad, and a hotspot router. I also have a Project Fi phone which utilizes T-Mobile, Sprint, and Cellular one, and coverage is reasonable with that, so I suspect it will be ok with the port. I hope so anyway.
    You can lock the Project Fi phone onto T-Mobile to get an idea of the coverage without Sprint.
    If the iPhones are 6s or newer, you should be OK. Whoops! I just noticed that you said they are 6+. This may be a problem. The iPhone 6 & 6+ lack band 12 (specifically the 700A block) which means that you won't get T-Mobile's low-band service. This is important for indoor and rural service and also for filling in what would otherwise be dead spots. If you find you have poor service inside or hit a lot of dead spots with the iPhone 6+, don't be surprised.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Why not take advantage of some of the deals going on and get new future proof phones, unless your team iPhone, which in that case I understand.
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

Device(s)
    Iphone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    You can lock the Project Fi phone onto T-Mobile to get an idea of the coverage without Sprint.
    If the iPhones are 6s or newer, you should be OK. Whoops! I just noticed that you said they are 6+. This may be a problem. The iPhone 6 & 6+ lack band 12 (specifically the 700A block) which means that you won't get T-Mobile's low-band service. This is important for indoor and rural service and also for filling in what would otherwise be dead spots. If you find you have poor service inside or hit a lot of dead spots with the iPhone 6+, don't be surprised.
    Good info, thanks. I did check with the project Fi sim in the 2 iPhone 6+s, and they seemed to call and receive ok. There is also 1 iPhone X, and based on what I am reading that won't be an issue.

I guess if the dead spots become an issue on the iPhone 6+, I will upgrade those phones to an unbranded unlocked version of the iPhone 8 or X, but would like to wait until the next iteration of iphones before doing so to see if they support band 71.

Unfortunately, the two iPhone 6+ users won't want to go to Android, or I would upgrade now, and avoid future issues

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work / T-Mobile (iPhone)
    Feedback Score
    In the large cities, you should be fine -- T-Mobile has a good degree of Band 2/4 coverage in most places, even without Band 12. That said, Band 12 will provide some better in-building penetration (low frequencies travel further/penetrate buildings better), so do a test in a few commonly traveled places that might be affected (e.g., office buildings, deep inside shopping malls, underground parking facilities (which often are bad regardless), etc.

Regarding CS calls, T-Mobile has on-shore and off-shore customer service. The on-shore is pretty good (not as good as Verizon though), and the off-shore is pretty terrible for anything other than basic stuff (I believe it's a Philippines call center) . The off-shore handles overflow during regular hours and handles the off-hours calls. So, if you have any complex issues, do not even start with off-shore customer service --> they will make a mess of anything beyond the simplest questions/requests (been there, done that a few times). Now unless it's something quick, I will hang up and call back during more normal business hours if I get someone with a non-US accent...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    .......Now unless it's something quick, I will hang up and call back during more normal business hours if I get someone with a non-US accent...
    Note that many of the reps in the Albuquerque call center have Hispanic accents, so listen carefully before you hang up.

Device(s)
    Iphone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shilohcane View Post
    At the top of your page is says your current device is a "Iphone 3G". If your phone doesn't support LTE or Band 12 do not move to T-Mobile. Over 75% of voice calls on T-Mobile go over VoLTE. I am no fan of iPhones that have weaker reception in the first place.
    Either it was a typo on my part or auto correct. 2 phones are a iPhone 6 plus, and one phone is a iPhone X. the other two devices are an ipad pro, and a hotspot router

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast