Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why does T-Mobile charge $25 for a SIM card?

Device(s)
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Why does T-Mobile charge $25 for a SIM card?

Just wondering. I need to switch from microSIM to nanoSIM and tried calling CS and 2 T-Mobile store. They all want to charge me $25. $25 for a piece SIM card seems outrages. It reminds me Best Buy charging $30 for a VGA cable.

I remember a few years ago, T-Mobile was practically giving SIM cards away. My current microSIM comes from one of them. Then the promotion went from Free/$0.01 to $0.99, then $4.99. The only issue is SIM cards have expiration and all the ones I banked have expired.

Getting a new SIM still requires me to transfer my service from 1 SIM to another. Going back and forth would be a big hassle. Yet, cutting SIM card is so much faster. In fact, a quality SIM cutter is less than $10 from Amazon, including adapter to go from small to large.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by below20 View Post
    Just wondering. I need to switch from microSIM to nanoSIM and tried calling CS and 2 T-Mobile store. They all want to charge me $25. $25 for a piece SIM card seems outrages. It reminds me Best Buy charging $30 for a VGA cable.

I remember a few years ago, T-Mobile was practically giving SIM cards away. My current microSIM comes from one of them. Then the promotion went from Free/$0.01 to $0.99, then $4.99. The only issue is SIM cards have expiration and all the ones I banked have expired.

Getting a new SIM still requires me to transfer my service from 1 SIM to another. Going back and forth would be a big hassle. Yet, cutting SIM card is so much faster. In fact, a quality SIM cutter is less than $10 from Amazon, including adapter to go from small to large.
    It sounds like it's the activation fee.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by below20 View Post

To make more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    To make more money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes they are no longer consumer-friendly

Device(s)
    Samsung GS9
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dandn1321 View Post
    It sounds like it's the activation fee.

I agree the SIM Kit fee (activation fee) is a rip off but thankfully it's one of those things you don't have to buy very often.

Ways around that $25 fee:

1. You can call customer care and make a network related complaint. After exhausting all options they ALWAYS recommend that you get a new SIM Kit. They can either send you one or notate the account for you to pick one up "for free," at your local store.
    2. Some authorized dealer stores sell them for $10. Still a total rip off but they are cheaper.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    I agree the SIM Kit fee (activation fee) is a rip off but thankfully it's one of those things you don't have to buy very often.

Ways around that $25 fee:

1. You can call customer care and make a network related complaint. After exhausting all options they ALWAYS recommend that you get a new SIM Kit. They can either send you one or notate the account for you to pick one up "for free," at your local store.
    2. Some authorized dealer stores sell them for $10. Still a total rip off but they are cheaper.
    Definitely a rip-off but there's always a way to acquire one for cheaper.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8+
    Feedback Score
    A sim cutter can cut micro to nano
    Cheap calling cards now available! Click here!

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksurfer View Post
    A sim cutter can cut micro to nano
    Yeah that's even better I used to use scissors to cut my SIM cards

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    It's how charge and activation fee without calling it an "activation fee". I wanted a spare SIM for international travel* and called Customer Service to see if they could send me one. They couldn't but told me, as a very-long-term customer, that if I went to the store and bought one, they would check back on my account in a week and credit me the cost. I did and sure enough, they did too. So, while I paid $25+tax for the SIM, I also got a credit for the amount.

*If your phone is lost or stolen in the US you can go to a store and get a new SIM or T-Mobile will FedEx one to you. If it happens while you're abroad, you're SOL. They won't FedEX a replacement SIM internationally.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Having a backup SIM to reactivate in case of phone is stolen. Now that is an interesting idea! If T-Mobile can lower their SIM price to $0.99 or less, I will get a couple.

Feedback Score
    They were running 3.99 sims a month or so ago with the promo sim399 I think it was. Not sure if it's still going or not.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgentCarl View Post
    They were running 3.99 sims a month or so ago with the promo sim399 I think it was. Not sure if it's still going or not.
    They're just trying to make more money off of their customers. AT&T and Verizon offer free SIM cards.

Feedback Score
    They're just trying to make more money off of their customers. AT&T and Verizon offer free SIM cards.

Yea but att and Verizon charge an activation fee. I think someone else said it as well, this is tmobiles activation fee. They went on and on before how they don't charge fees like Verizon and AT&T so they couldn't just start charging an activation fee, so they made SIM cards 25 bucks instead.

Device(s)
    s6 note 4 and 5s
    Carrier(s)
    T Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgentCarl View Post
    Yea but att and Verizon charge an activation fee. I think someone else said it as well, this is tmobiles activation fee. They went on and on before how they don't charge fees like Verizon and AT&T so they couldn't just start charging an activation fee, so they made SIM cards 25 bucks instead.
    Yes I understand that but at least it's not charged up front like what TMobile does.

Feedback Score
    Yes I understand that but at least it's not charged up front like what TMobile does.

I agree, and existing customers on AT&T and Verizon don't have to pay an activation fee if they need another sim card, it's only charged once at activation and an existing customer can get a free SIM from both companies if needed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast