Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wifi calling coming to Google Voice

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Wifi calling coming to Google Voice

I don't understand this at all. I can already do everything with Hangouts.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/04/...ta-only-calls/

"Sign up and you can soon use cellular data or WiFi for calls from Voice on Android or the web (iOS is coming), whether or not you're using a phone."

From Google about the new scheme:

"Wi-Fi calling lets you:

Reduce roaming charges when you’re on the go

Keep in touch even when you have poor cell service

Make calls from any device, not just your phone"

https://productforums.google.com/for...ce/aI7m1PrV21Y

Now the bad news for Tracfoners:

"How much data do Wi-Fi calls use?

Calls use approximately 0.2 MB of data per minute. Data usage may vary depending on available bandwidth and network quality."

If you read the Comments section, this guy may be right: "Soon all calls will be some type of VoIP....using internet data."

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, Samsung J3 Sky, LG Q6
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LGester View Post

Calls use approximately 0.2 MB of data per minute. Data usage may vary depending on available bandwidth and network quality."
    Why is that bad news for Tracfoners? If you're talking about the cost of making calls using data....a 1GB data card costs $10, so it's 1 cent per MB. If a call uses 0.2 MB of data per minute, that's only 2/10th of one cent, cheaper than what most Tracfoners pay for 1 minute of talk.

Feedback Score
    There's already a thread started on this topic in the Google Voice section of HoFo and yes, it's not going to affect TracFone in any negative way that I can imagine.

Feedback Score
    I don't understand this at all. I can already do everything with Hangouts.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/04/...ta-only-calls/

"Sign up and you can soon use cellular data or WiFi for calls from Voice on Android or the web (iOS is coming), whether or not you're using a phone."

From Google about the new scheme:

"Wi-Fi calling lets you:

Reduce roaming charges when you’re on the go

Keep in touch even when you have poor cell service

Make calls from any device, not just your phone"

https://productforums.google.com/for...ce/aI7m1PrV21Y

If you read the Comments section, this guy may be right: "Soon all calls will be some type of VoIP....using internet data."
    Bad news , no. Nothing is being taken away, nothing functionally different than what a hangouts user already has. I just wonder if Google voice will allow incoming video! This is 2018 after all.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    You mean you as a regular Google basher don't expect free teleporting from them by now

Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Bad news , no. Nothing is being taken away, nothing functionally different than what a hangouts user already has. I just wonder if Google voice will allow incoming video! This is 2018 after all.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Why is that bad news for Tracfoners? If you're talking about the cost of making calls using data....a 1GB data card costs $10, so it's 1 cent per MB. If a call uses 0.2 MB of data per minute, that's only 2/10th of one cent, cheaper than what most Tracfoners pay for 1 minute of talk.

It says "How much data do Wi-Fi calls use?" Well, with Hangouts it's zero cost. I can make Hangout calls ( over WiFi of course) with an inactive phone (U2). So no data used. This proposal will use data with WiFi. That's how it's worded unless I'm missing something.

Feedback Score
    It will use WiFi or mobile data, just like Hangouts can currently do.

It says "How much data do Wi-Fi calls use?" Well, with Hangouts it's zero cost. I can make Hangout calls ( over WiFi of course) with an inactive phone (U2). So no data used. This proposal will use data with WiFi. That's how it's worded unless I'm missing something.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); LG Fiesta 2 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Wi-Fi is IP data the same (although different) as cellular. It's just not over the cellular data network. You will have the option of making the call over either the cellular voice network allocation (itself becoming VoLTE exclusively soon), using units of minutes (in the case of TracFone); over the cellular data network (using from your data bucket); or over Wi-Fi, an alternate entrance to the internet.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    There's already a thread started on this topic in the Google Voice section of HoFo and yes, it's not going to affect TracFone in any negative way that I can imagine.
    Wow, I had no idea there is a Google Voice section here! Thanks, heading over there now.

Feedback Score
    The thread for others interested
    "Beta: WiFi calling with Google Voice"
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...h-Google-Voice

Beta apk is not available in Play Store yet and no idea when it will be.

Wow, I had no idea there is a Google Voice section here! Thanks, heading over there now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    You mean you as a regular Google basher don't expect free teleporting from them by now
    What exactly is a "Google basher"??

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Ooohhh...I want teleporting! But I might need a bigger battery for my phone...

Feedback Score
    What? Android doesn't have the teleporting app yet? I've been told Apple's had it for months. Of course once it is available for Android the Kindle fire will eventually get it but you will only be able to teleport to Amazon Travel destinations. It will be cheaper to teleport with Tracfone but you'll end up spending a week going round and round with customer service trying to convince them that yes, you did start out with two arms and two legs, and only get them returned to you after filing a complaint with the Miami BBB and FCC (or would it be the FTSB?).

Device(s)
    LG G2, Moto G5+, Moto E4, (Droid Mini, GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Total Wireless (Verizon, Red Pocket, Tracfone)
    Feedback Score
    Funny, [mention]Cascade1911[/mention]

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade1911 View Post
    What? Android doesn't have the teleporting app yet? I've been told Apple's had it for months. Of course once it is available for Android the Kindle fire will eventually get it but you will only be able to teleport to Amazon Travel destinations. It will be cheaper to teleport with Tracfone but you'll end up spending a week going round and round with customer service trying to convince them that yes, you did start out with two arms and two legs, and only get them returned to you after filing a complaint with the Miami BBB and FCC (or would it be the FTSB?).
    Yes, that IS funny, lol!

But if you DO have trouble, TF only restore ONE arm and ONE leg after your 1st attempt! It will take more tries to get them all back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast