Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cricket phone order crack down on existing customers

Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Cricket phone order crack down on existing customers

Just an FYI if you try to order phones and got canceled due to "shady" action like mine.

Cricket is cracking down on shady phone order practice by existing customers. Last week, my orders were canceled a few times before it finally went through. Instead of putting a new line in our existing grandfathered account, we decided to open a new account.

First try, I entered my name shortened (think of Mary Ann becoming Mary), with a credit card that I've used to order phones on Cricket before. The contact phone is my office phone number. Order canceled. Cricket chat thinks the credit card name don't match.

Second try, I entered my name exactly, order canceled. Dang. Cricket still claim bad credit card info. Although, my credit card company approves it. I got a text saying transaction approved.

Third try, I entered the contact number (on the order page) with my one of existing Cricket number, and credit card that's in my Cricket account for autopay. That was a big mistake. Not only was the order canceled, the port number now shows up in my Cricket account as "ready to port".

Fourth try, got another port number, use my wife credit card, info which I am sure are not in Cricket database. Hooray! Phone delivered.

Based on this, I speculate Cricket is data mining all the order information. I am speculating they are connecting all the contact numbers, credit cards info into a database. Any "possible match", the order is canceled.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hchen42 View Post
    Just an FYI if you try to order phones and got canceled due to "shady" action like mine.

Cricket is cracking down on shady phone order practice by existing customers. Last week, my orders were canceled a few times before it finally went through. Instead of putting a new line in our existing grandfathered account, we decided to open a new account.

First try, I entered my name shortened (think of Mary Ann becoming Mary), with a credit card that I've used to order phones on Cricket before. The contact phone is my office phone number. Order canceled. Cricket chat thinks the credit card name don't match.

Second try, I entered my name exactly, order canceled. Dang. Cricket still claim bad credit card info. Although, my credit card company approves it. I got a text saying transaction approved.

Third try, I entered the contact number (on the order page) with my one of existing Cricket number, and credit card that's in my Cricket account for autopay. That was a big mistake. Not only was the order canceled, the port number now shows up in my Cricket account as "ready to port".

Fourth try, got another port number, use my wife credit card, info which I am sure are not in Cricket database. Hooray! Phone delivered.

Based on this, I speculate Cricket is data mining all the order information. I am speculating they are connecting all the contact numbers, credit cards info into a database. Any "possible match", the order is canceled.
    I've never bought a phone from cricket, so I'm very uninformed, as to why buy from cricket, when there are other sources as best buy, etc. And then these phones are locked to freekn' cricket. I'm not being critical, just trying to learn.

Feedback Score
    For wifi calling on Cricket with a Samsung Galaxy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    I've never bought a phone from cricket, so I'm very uninformed, as to why buy from cricket, when there are other sources as best buy, etc. And then these phones are locked to freekn' cricket. I'm not being critical, just trying to learn.
    Find a brand new iPhone 7 for $349.99. $5 for a number to port in and we plan to use it on the account for at least the 6 months required to get it unlocked. Some of their deals are decent, like the S8 before and the current S9 deal.

Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plane View Post
    It's the bottom line. For me, I couldn't find any Samsung S9 for below $500, nor could I locate iPhone X for $799. Locked to Cricket? no problem for us. We don't plan to leave for another 6 months.

For a Galaxy S9 phone, total cost to me would be $580 (sales tax, and fee to get a portable number included.
    For iPhone X, total cost to me would be $907. I don't know where I could get an iPhone X for $900 with all tax, fees included.

Device(s)
    Cricket note 4's-vzw note 4-vze rugby 3,z892
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket,vzw,metro pcs
    Feedback Score
    Ok, got it..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hchen42 View Post

I think you’re right, I’ve been porting back and forth between between metro and cricket for a long time now for free and discounted phone offers, and just today I got the dreaded “your order has been canceled” email saying they can’t verify my information.

Feedback Score
    They've gone from throttling speeds, to throttling orders. What a fantastic company, eh.

Device(s)
    Touch Pro 2
    Carrier(s)
    Boost
    Feedback Score
    i went through the same **** with cricket. i am done. i got a s9 from ebay today. just got done setting it up. no more cricket for me. they lock their phones and all kinds of crap.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    They've gone from throttling speeds, to throttling orders. What a fantastic company, eh.
    You truly have nothing better to do than spew garbage here all day, don't you? How very sad for you.

For the OP - credit card crack-down is nothing new. Cricket is a prepaid service so they need to watch out for scammers. When I ported from Sprint a couple of years ago, it was a pain to buy 5 new Cricket phones but I figured it out with 2 different credit cards and addresses.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
    i went through the same **** with cricket. i am done. i got a s9 from ebay today. just got done setting it up. no more cricket for me. they lock their phones and all kinds of crap.
    Every prepaid carrier that heavily discounts their phones has this service requirement. MetroPCS just copied Cricket's unlock policy a few days ago by going from 3 months to 6 months.

https://www.metropcs.com/terms-condi...ck-policy.html

Device(s)
    Alcatel Fierce 2, VMoto E, Kyocera Icon, Lumia 640, Several Dumb Phones
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Smartel, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Op, and anyone else who got the cancelled notice, how often do you switch?

I'm on my 3rd number in right at 2 years. Was thinking it's about time for another switch in a month or 2, if a good phone deal comes around.

Hope I don't get frozen out.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorp View Post
    Lots of companies lock their phones and prevent people from trying to cheat them out of money. That's a problem? Just buy unlocked phones elsewhere and use the best phone service for you, but don't begrudge cricket for trying to keep scammers from using their system as a source for disposable income by reselling their phones.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Cricket has always had wonky credit card processing. I was probably a little over agressive on ordering $0.99 phones back in the good old days before the new fees and stuff... They actually shipped one phone, and recalled it after it was halfway here.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wrenhal View Post
    Lots of companies lock their phones and prevent people from trying to cheat them out of money. That's a problem? Just buy unlocked phones elsewhere and use the best phone service for you, but don't begrudge cricket for trying to keep scammers from using their system as a source for disposable income by reselling their phones.
    Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    He's been spewing his butthurt since he messed up an unlock code. I do what works for me, can't be concerned about these clowns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast