Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can Tracfone Sims be hacked?

Feedback Score

Can Tracfone Sims be hacked?

I got some GSM TMFL sim cards a while back cheap off ebay. I'm getting around to using one and started wondering about getting sim cards from unknown sources. Can someone hack the sim card? Having hacked it, what does it get them? I'm not terribly clear (ok, I'm clueless) as to what the sim card actually does.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, LG G3
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What a SIM car is, according to Wikipedia . I don't know why anyone would want to spend the time and effort to hack a Tracfone SIM, considering that you can buy a kit with SIMs for CDMA and GSM, in mini, micro, and nano sizes for a mere $1. If they want to hack it in order to make it TMFL, that's useless because the TMFL benefit is kept in TF database based on the SIM number. If they try to "clone" the SIM number from another SIM, only one of them can be active at a time.

Feedback Score
    Thanks hpham. Looking at the wikipedia listing and them more articles I can see, if any of the listed info is true, how someone could clone the sim, send you the original and then use the hacked sim to possibly hijack your phone allowing them access to accounts that you've given your phone access to. Or maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wannafly845 View Post
    if any of the listed info is true, how someone could clone the sim, send you the original and then use the hacked sim to possibly hijack your phone allowing them access to accounts that you've given your phone access to.
    What you said is possible, so only buy SIMs from reputable sources, preferrably in a sealed package. Regarding your forum name, are you a pilot?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    What you said is possible, so only buy SIMs from reputable sources, preferrably in a sealed package. Regarding your forum name, are you a pilot?
    Bummer, only out a couple of $ but now I have to see if I can find a TMFL GSM sim from a "reputable source" or forgo TMFL. As to pilot, wannabe only. Sims, RC, father was and a couple of lessons but economics of it never worked out.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I have a dozen TF SIM kits with TMFL but they were opened to use the included time card. I owned and flew a Cessna 152 for over 20 years. Had to give it up last year due to medical condition.

Device(s)
    LY Stylo 2v
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Bummer, only out a couple of $ but now I have to see if I can find a TMFL GSM sim from a "reputable source" or forgo TMFL. As to pilot, wannabe only. Sims, RC, father was and a couple of lessons but economics of it never worked out.
    I've bought from eBay several times, the SIM card is always brand new in an unopened package. Just make sure the listing says "new, unopened" and your good to go.
    ~~Teresa ~~

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaC View Post
    Just make sure the listing says "new, unopened" and your good to go.
    It's not hard to redo the shrink wrap or seal new clamshells.

Feedback Score
    TracFoneWireless on eBay sells SIM kits for $1 shipped and last I heard they were still the TMFL variety.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    TracFoneWireless on eBay sells SIM kits for $1 shipped and last I heard they were still the TMFL variety.
    It's hard to tell what TF will ship. The current ad says "Triple Punch" 3-in-1 SIM, which is the very latest kit.

Feedback Score
    I was going to post that the TMFL eBay link people were using says sold out now...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/TracFone-Br...-/282517656616

I guess people will have to decide whether it's worth the $1 risk to order using the triple-punch listing link and see what comes - it's probably not going to be TMFL.

Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    It's hard to tell what TF will ship. The current ad says "Triple Punch" 3-in-1 SIM, which is the very latest kit.

Feedback Score

Feedback Score
    Considering cell service is a commodity and the government (tax payers) gives anybody a phone and service that asks I'd say you're paranoid.

Sent from my K88 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Considering cell service is a commodity and the government (tax payers) gives anybody a phone and service that asks I'd say you're paranoid.[/URL]
    And why does any of that negate the possibility of sims being hacked?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cascade1911 View Post
    And why does any of that negate the possibility of sims being hacked?
    It just doesn't happen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast